Doping in XC skiing - Page 88 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-17-13, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
It was Berger and Svendsen mostly.
Indeed it was. Berger did medal in every race she entered, which was all the races really, including all the relays. She didn't fade towards the end either. But it's only a one week event, not a three week ordeal like a GT. So...

Hypothetically speaking, would you need a refill for a one week event?
Old 02-17-13, 18:29

of course not. but one or two will help some for sure.
Old 02-17-13, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestones View Post
The Norwegian performance in Nove Mesto can be characterized as otherworldly. 8 of 11 gold medals, silver in two of the remaining three races, and one bronze for good measure.
-------
And still, in the after Lance-climate, there is not one single suggestion in the norwegian press, that our biathletes have been up to something.

We have the advantage of no positives, and none of our biatletes/cross-country skiers testing positive, except maybe one stupid caffeine suspension way back.

With the availability of doping, and the way everybody knows its effects, I have no doubt also some of our athletes have fallen for the temptation. The sad thing is you cant tell which one.
Old 02-17-13, 21:31

I don't think the Norwegians are performing well in biathlon beacuse they are juicing more then the rest. I think today biathlon is a pretty even playing field in that terms.
At least i didn't see any outstanding performances which would immidiatly indicate a drug advantage.
It's not like they were totally dominating in the running times.
Old 02-18-13, 06:18

Running times themselves weren't much different from others, but seeing the same athletes coming out on top day after day reminds me a bit of watching the Gewiss train. Of course I can't say they're doping, for that I know too little about the sport.
Old 02-18-13, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestones View Post
Running times themselves weren't much different from others, but seeing the same athletes coming out on top day after day reminds me a bit of watching the Gewiss train. Of course I can't say they're doping, for that I know too little about the sport.
Well i guess the question is not if they are doping, it's more how much are they doping compared to the other nations.
Old 02-18-13, 15:23

Doping or not. It cant be good for the sport. I dont want it to turn into cross country skiing.
Old 02-18-13, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sceptic View Post
Doping or not. It cant be good for the sport. I dont want it to turn into cross country skiing.
It wont. Svendsen isn't even the best male biathlete. Fourcade is, and will remain on top unless Emil seriously improves his standup shooting. Tora will soon retire and there are a few girls who could potentially challenge her next year if they improve their shooting or if she has a less stellar season. Norway have some impressive talents in the pipeline but so do Germany and Russia.
Old 02-18-13, 17:30

http://www.expressen.se/sport/langds...igt-uttalande/

though saltin did not implicate him directly, bjorn dählie, of course, did not like the above-mentioned statement by saltin that 10-15 y ago a skier could not win wc races without doping.

in the video, he expressed his anger several times and brought forward an old argument ‘it’s not like i was behind 2 minutes one day and suddenly winning the next…i was near the top season long.’

getting back to biathlon… in another interesting recent interview, pichler, when poked that his girls are still too slow compared to the likes of gössner, responded in his usual direct manner, ‘only doping can improved my girls speed my a full minute’.

i don’t think he implied that others are doping (perhaps he did ?), rather that his team runs at the limit of their potential clean. Still the statement, even if true, came across as a tad tactless, particularly given the adverse environment he’s facing everyday.

btw, in all seriousness, he compared zaitseva's talent to tora's.
Old 02-18-13, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sceptic View Post
Let's be honest, biathlon world championchips titles are not really that worthy today. I mean they take place very year and they have 6 events now which all require mor eor less the exact same skills.
There's simply such an invasion of medlas handed out that they are more or less neglectable.
Next year nobody will remember who won which event.