Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-18-13, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabe View Post
On the other hand, when Chrissie Wellington came to our shop I was absolutely delighted to meet her. I'd wrench for her any day.
Chrissie Wellington is a legend! And an exception to the rule (yes, they do exist )
Old 02-18-13, 21:10

Quote:
Some of them are also not big on washing their bikes between peeing on them in the big race and having the local shop pack them for shipping. A personal experience.
So ... Did that local shop do a good enough job packing your bike?*

*sorry ... apologies! It was laying right there ... what was I suppose to do ...?
Old 02-19-13, 00:54

I thought you guys would like this.
I think it is tongue in cheek... but you can never be sure

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Sl..._pets_P566398/
Old 02-19-13, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick777 View Post
I thought you guys would like this.
I think it is tongue in cheek... but you can never be sure

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Sl..._pets_P566398/
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. It could be a deal breaker when it comes to spending thousands of dollars on an altitude tent so you can shave a few seconds off your amateur race times.
Old 02-19-13, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. It could be a deal breaker when it comes to spending thousands of dollars on an altitude tent so you can shave a few seconds off your amateur race times.
I think the OP is having a go at a JeffVader style thread and hasn't quite got it outrageous enough to work.

At least I hope so, it is Slowtwit...
Old 02-20-13, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So ... Did that local shop do a good enough job packing your bike?*
I'll pretend I didn't read that.
Old 02-20-13, 16:16

Quote:
I'll pretend I didn't read that.

He did add, at the bottom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

*sorry ... apologies! It was laying right there ... what was I suppose to do ...?
I thought that was pretty well done, myself!
Old 02-21-13, 02:11

I'm not angry.

Just that it was so funny, I forgot to laugh.

OK, I'm laughing now.
Old 02-23-13, 04:55

Ha, looks like I'm a bit of a celebrity. Take it easy guys, I was a bike racer for a long time before I moved into triathlons. The seat was just an off the cuff random experiment that I wondered if it would be tri legal, since I came from the world of UCI, nothing inventive is legal. As a roadie I was obviously strong in a 73 degree angle and produced a lot of power with a strong drag of my foot which favored my hamstring muscles. Unfortunately I'm not very flexible so to get low when I became a triathlete I had to move very steep, unfortunately, this tendency to 'drag' my leg produced a strong sensation that I wanted to launch over the front end. So I was riding one day and I thought, this is crazy, but what if I had something to hold me back, so I fashioned this crude thing in about 10 minutes and tried it out. It was a bit of a joke for me at the time and I expected it would be super uncomfortable but it actually felt quite comfortable somehow and I could put out a lot of power with it, so I just wondered if it was legal in the tri world, never really pursued it, obviously was just a funny contraption I made, it worked in a sense, but functionally obviously lacked in numerous ways. You'll notice later mentioned in the thread that pro teams actually used a 'tether' contraption in the same fashion, something to 'pivot' against to gain leverage, theirs worked in the opposite way though.

The bike I'm riding in the video is simply as I called it, an 'x' bike. I used it simply to experiment with different positions, configurations (it had a quarq), in addition I built it to handle riding in the brutal Ohio winters when I lived there. Usually I just have flat bars on it, fully rigid, alfine 8 hub (pretty beastly hub with the abuse I gave it) and hydraulic disc brakes, essentially unstoppable when the snow gets deep.

The wheelbase for an XL specialized transition is huge relative to my height 5'11'', I got it because the longer wheelbase is more stable at angles of roughly 85 degrees where I ride, obviously I'm constantly ripping my stuff apart and rebuilding my bikes with different components like I did when I was a roadie.

Lastly, I get the annoyance with some triathletes, some you can't even have a conversation with because they don't understand basic terminology. From years of riding a bike, I personally believe you should be able to completely service your machine, tuning, fixing, rebuilding anything and everything. Most triathletes simply want their bikes placed before them, upon which they will ride them. Make no mistake though, some triathletes are wheelie riding, bike handling, aerobic beasts. Like me :-) and for anyone that doubt this come on out to Boulder and I'll give you a tour up left hand canyon LOL.

Oh, lastly, a lot of tri guys ride in the aerobars up a hill as a way to work on muscle strength while in the specific position they're in while riding. I'm sure many of you do high gear work in the drops.

Last edited by HXB12345; 02-23-13 at 05:04.
Old 02-28-13, 03:33

No-one posting all of a sudden??
Well that post was a real party pooper.
Not much fun when the guy you're ridiculing turns up. Lol.
Well the seat thing did look a little strange but I'm all for innovation.
And I guess we spend a lot of time and money getting our position right on the bike in the shop only to slide all over the seat on the tarmac.
... Still can't see it catching on though. :-)