Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread - Page 27 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 02-20-13, 03:39

This forum would really blow without thehog. He's like drunk Uncle Randy sitting in the armchair. He makes a lot of noise, talks a lot of crap, creates the odd foul stench, and now and then you find out that some of his crazy theories are right on the money. You need those guys; they add character. It's the uptight nephew with one hand on his iPad and the other on his Pinarello who needs to go.
Old 02-20-13, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
The problem between what you are saying and what can be done is in the forum members not the moderators. There on the site you give as an example the forum members do not feed the trolls . . ..
El -- actually, I think you've got it. The mods are a limited quantity. The ability of the forum posters to create personal attacks, and illogical arguments, approaches infinity. One plus 1 = 2, and all that, and a limited number does not in any sense approach infinity.

The mods can't read every post. Simple. Fact. Therefore, some posts don't get read by mods. If those posts violate the rules of propriety - then the mods don't know. Simple, right?

Ditto - an analogy. The number of automobiles traveling in excess of the speed limit, at point x on freeway zbd is close to 70% (hypothetical, purely made-up). The number of tickets written for speeding violations at point x is 5% of the traffic (this ratio, however, does bear some semblance of reality). Are the ticketing officers somehow to blame for the speeders that were not ticketed? While the percentages will surely vary, this is to some degree an accurate representation, both of freeway speeding and tickets - and forum misbehavior. There are a lot of people on the forum breaking simple rules for polite and productive discussion. I don't think the mods can ever respond to each and every violation of simple etiquette, particularly given what a herd of cats we have here. They respond to what they find, and what they are alerted to, given the time they have available.

I know, speaking for myself, that I have 70+ complaints of forum behavior I have received that I have not been able to respond to. Oh, I would like to, but I just don't have that much time in my life!
Old 02-20-13, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Uh, English? ElChingon - you do speak English, am I right?
Yes, but since it seems you know what it means, please translate this:

Quote:
Thanks,
Old 02-20-13, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
This forum would really blow without thehog. He's like drunk Uncle Randy sitting in the armchair. He makes a lot of noise, talks a lot of crap, creates the odd foul stench, and now and then you find out that some of his crazy theories are right on the money. You need those guys; they add character. It's the uptight nephew with one hand on his iPad and the other on his Pinarello who needs to go.
But you could say similar things about that crazy DAOTEC guy.
Old 02-20-13, 05:32

Quote:
El -- actually, I think you've got it. The mods are a limited quantity. The ability of the forum posters to create personal attacks, and illogical arguments, approaches infinity. One plus 1 = 2, and all that, and a limited number does not in any sense approach infinity.

The mods can't read every post. Simple. Fact. Therefore, some posts don't get read by mods. If those posts violate the rules of propriety - then the mods don't know. Simple, right?
Then, why is it when the troll's are called out by at least a hand full the mods do nothing?

The mods can't read everything yet can read a warning and only read the warned post but not what lead to it to realize what is going on, as seen by the hundred of threads that have either a lock or major removal of posts yet one ban? Did only one poster continue to cross the line or was it more than one as from what I know of arguments it is usually by more than one, or are arguments from just one poster?

Quote:
Ditto - an analogy. The number of automobiles traveling in excess of the speed limit, at point x on freeway zbd is close to 70% (hypothetical, purely made-up). The number of tickets written for speeding violations at point x is 5% of the traffic (this ratio, however, does bear some semblance of reality). Are the ticketing officers somehow to blame for the speeders that were not ticketed? While the percentages will surely vary, this is to some degree an accurate representation, both of freeway speeding and tickets - and forum misbehavior. There are a lot of people on the forum breaking simple rules for polite and productive discussion. I don't think the mods can ever respond to each and every violation of simple etiquette, particularly given what a herd of cats we have here. They respond to what they find, and what they are alerted to, given the time they have available.
Yes, but the speeders are not still in the same position in time and space to be seen speeding, so no ticket. Yet! Here on the forum the posts are still there and can be re-read many times if not read for ever, not just the one flagged post. So your analogy seems to be quite a non-analogy. Then, in Europe there are some speed cameras on the highways which take a picture of said speeders and guess what, they get a ticket for speeding no matter if they are alone or in a pack of other speeders. So to continue spot banning makes those who were banned (and those who want fairness on the forum) rather angry as an equally offensive post is just above or below the offending post.

Quote:
I know, speaking for myself, that I have 70+ complaints of forum behavior I have received that I have not been able to respond to. Oh, I would like to, but I just don't have that much time in my life!
Yet no ban? No slap on the wrist (CN Forum Infraction points). Yes, I guess we know now why you qualified as a mod

Clarity through obscurity once again
Old 02-20-13, 05:59

Quote:
Then, why is it when the troll's are called out by at least a hand full the mods do nothing?

The mods can't read everything yet can read a warning and only read the warned post but not what lead to it to realize what is going on, as seen by the hundred of threads that have either a lock or major removal of posts yet one ban? Did only one poster continue to cross the line or was it more than one as from what I know of arguments it is usually by more than one, or are arguments from just one poster?

I agree with this, i don't read the forum all the time but when i do i usually go back over specific threads for a period of time. It is usually obvious where that thread has derailed, it is usually a spat or something between members and you can see it develop. it shouldn't be so difficult to detect especially when directed to the heat of the moment exchange. -> Just go back. From memory Susan has a full time job so is not as easy (unless its her full time job to monitor the forum) but other mod/ads etc should have the time the spats are always in the same forums!!!
There should also be a more standardised way of bannination so that at least members have less right to discriminate against mods/admin directly. at the moment it seems a bit arbitrary hence the backlash against Joachim being banninated from one side of the forum. It also protects them from criticism against protection as was done when Hog was banned for only a week. Don't think ads or mods need that, anyway ideas probably pointless.
Old 02-20-13, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
But you could say similar things about that crazy DAOTEC guy.
Yet another super fan banned for being a super fan proving once again this forum is no place for super cycling fans
Old 02-20-13, 16:59

Quote:
Yes, but since it seems you know what it means, please translate this:

Thanks,
Hmmmm - I don't see your quoted bit in the thread. Can you link to it so I can find the original?
Old 02-20-13, 17:38

Quote:
Hmmmm - I don't see your quoted bit in the thread. Can you link to it so I can find the original?
Lol

10 chars
Old 02-20-13, 18:44
Administrator

Quote:
Yet another super fan banned for being a super fan proving once again this forum is no place for super cycling fans
You obviously do not remember the circumstances which led to his ban.

Susan