Will ___ ever win a Grand Tour? - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will ____ ever win a grand tour?
A Schleck* 45 34.35%
F Schleck 3 2.29%
Froome 109 83.21%
Scarponi* 1 0.76%
Rodriguez 58 44.27%
Samu Sanchez 11 8.40%
VDB2 8 6.11%
Gesink 29 22.14%
Rujano 5 3.82%
Kreuziger 11 8.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-13, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoso View Post
Yeah, season 2010 was bad, Tour was his main goal and he was ill the week Tour started and had some stomach issues in the course also, I wouldn't forget that. Until 2010 Kreuz delivered better results than Nibali. In 2009 he had two main goals: to win Romandie (what he did) and to be in the top ten TdF (what he did).
Nibali knows how to limit his losses on any given day. I think what we saw in the Giro 2011 is typical Kreuziger: with the best in the beginning, and then in the final stages Kruijswijk almost stole the white jersey from him.

That would make Kreuziger the ideal one week rider, but his TT isn't that great either. He's very good at uphill TTs though. This year's Paris-Nice would be perfect for him, will he ride?
Old 02-20-13, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Imo he could've won the 2010 Vuelta, if he'd prepared for it by not riding the Tour. If Velits can podium, almost anybody with a top-15 in the Tour can win in such a field. Sadly it's Nibali only big win... It's also the only GT where he really contended ftw.
perhaps he could (Kreuziger), but do you really want to continue to enter GT's as semi captain, ride invisible, get placement after placement and perhaps strike lucky in the Vuelta after 9 attempts? I think he can do better in other races or go after specific stage wins (and see if that elevates him in a GC). Nibali probably divides the waters these days (GT wise). The jury is perhaps still out. Meanwhile he seems to target lots of different races.
Old 02-20-13, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeBet View Post
What makes you think Kreuz can beat Nibbles in a GT? When has that happened?
That wasn't what I meant. Kreuziger wouldn't necessarily have beaten Nibali, but he is certainly a better GT rider than Velits.
Old 02-20-13, 12:21

Smile

Quote:
Nibbles was 7 minutes better than Kreuz in the Tour 2009. 7 minutes is no small thing.

Honestly, Roman is not a bad rider. But cycling is about results. He's entered many GTs as a leader, and he's never even been on a podium. This can't be all bad luck or lack of opportunities or not being in the right team.
He peaked to early in 2009 I think. He entered 4 or grand tours as a leader, true, I don't think that it's so much considering the age at which he did so. He's 26 years old. He rode as a co - captain very early, not everybody can podium Tour at age of 23 - 25 today.
And it can be just bad luck, totally, why not?

Last edited by Kokoso; 02-20-13 at 12:51.
Old 02-20-13, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Nibali knows how to limit his losses on any given day. I think what we saw in the Giro 2011 is typical Kreuziger: with the best in the beginning, and then in the final stages Kruijswijk almost stole the white jersey from him.

That would make Kreuziger the ideal one week rider, but his TT isn't that great either. He's very good at uphill TTs though. This year's Paris-Nice would be perfect for him, will he ride?
I can't see why it's typicall? E.g. Tour 2009 20th Mt.Ventoux stage which was his best there probably. Kruijswijk in Giro, last stages? You mean those 30 seconds what he gained on Kreuz in stage 19 and 20? I don't understand that, he was 2:23 behind him in final GC. So... Yes, his goal know is P - N. I don'd think that mountain TT is such an advantage for Kreuz, e.g. in Giro 2011 flat TTs helped him more in GC when you look at the results.
Old 02-20-13, 13:36

So much faith in Gesink capabilities is beyond my comprehension.
Old 02-20-13, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoso View Post
I can't see why it's typicall? E.g. Tour 2009 20th Mt.Ventoux stage which was his best there probably. Kruijswijk in Giro, last stages? You mean those 30 seconds what he gained on Kreuz in stage 19 and 20? I don't understand that, he was 2:23 behind him in final GC. So... Yes, his goal know is P - N. I don'd think that mountain TT is such an advantage for Kreuz, e.g. in Giro 2011 flat TTs helped him more in GC when you look at the results.
Kreuziger was dropped very early on the Finestre, he closed a gap of a minute or more on the descent.
Old 02-20-13, 15:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippo_San View Post
So much faith in Gesink capabilities is beyond my comprehension.
Have to agree. Especially as we're considering winning a GT. I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-20-13, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post
Yes I agree with you.

I was initially going to say just "yup" but that would have been totally unacceptable wouldn't it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post
yup
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Froome Andy and Gesink.

To clarify

Chances

A Schleck 8/10
F Schleck 1/10
Froome 9/10
Scarponi* 2/10
Rodriguez 3/10
Samu Sanchez 3/10
VDB2 4/10
Gesink 7/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 3/10
What, are we doing betting odds now? Meh, I don't like these. Btw, gotta be careful about posting odds, ya know. Apparently some real betting has been going on - and that , I guess, is a no-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
A Schleck* 2/10
F Schleck 0/10
Froome 8/10
Scarponi* 1/10
Rodriguez 6/10
Samu Sanchez 1/10
VDB2 0/10
Gesink 0/10
Rujano 0/10
Kreuziger 0/10
Now THAT is more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuccio View Post
Should do another poll.

"Why ______ won't ever win a Grand Tour?"
Go for it! The thread is all yours to start! I'll vote, I like it.
Old 02-22-13, 09:21

Quote:
In 2009 Nibbles and Kreuziger went to the Tour as co-leaders and none of them was asked to work for the other.
And in 2010 he was the sole leader.
There were two designated leaders at the beginning, Basso and Kreuziger.