Minsk World Championships - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Track > General

General From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Old 02-20-13, 18:38

I wouldn't call it worrying as it is evidently a transition stage for GB, but it was clear which team is better and I don't think any amount of training can fix that. Clancy was never the strongest rider in the team and though Burke is strong I don't think he ever rivaled guys like Wiggins or Thomas. Tennant seems to be good but he wasn't good enough to make the Olympic finals team . It will remain to be seen whether Harrison, Dibben and the other new guys can develop and rival the class of 08 and 12.

Good ride by GB in the ladies considering that Vicky has mostly raced only at junior level. There is a lack of top sprint riders though for the women sprinting, it may have been that though the UCI may not have received the desired effect by expanding the Women's disciplines for 2012 it may reap the rewards in 2016.
Old 02-20-13, 20:45

Default Pervis

10.539 200 meter time in the mix of a kilo.

Francois PERVIS FRA - Men's 1km Time Trial - 2013 UCI World Track Championships
Old 02-20-13, 20:51

Default Hammer wins Pursuit

Sarah Hammer coasted the final half lap so as not to pass.
Old 02-20-13, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShame View Post

Sarah Hammer coasted the final half lap so as not to pass.
Yeh I found that a bit lame. It is not like a catch is made just every Individual Pursuit final.
Old 02-21-13, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShame View Post

10.539 200 meter time in the mix of a kilo.

Francois PERVIS FRA - Men's 1km Time Trial - 2013 UCI World Track Championships
Whoa! Awesome. Was that ride the fastest ever at sea level?
Old 02-21-13, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
I wouldn't call it worrying as it is evidently a transition stage for GB, but it was clear which team is better and I don't think any amount of training can fix that. Clancy was never the strongest rider in the team and though Burke is strong I don't think he ever rivaled guys like Wiggins or Thomas. Tennant seems to be good but he wasn't good enough to make the Olympic finals team . It will remain to be seen whether Harrison, Dibben and the other new guys can develop and rival the class of 08 and 12.

Good ride by GB in the ladies considering that Vicky has mostly raced only at junior level. There is a lack of top sprint riders though for the women sprinting, it may have been that though the UCI may not have received the desired effect by expanding the Women's disciplines for 2012 it may reap the rewards in 2016.
All this it only matters once every four years stuff gives me the ....
Old 02-21-13, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
I think that is doing a bit of a disservice to the Aussie team. I believe they were missing Rohan Dennis and Jack Bobridge. Clancy has always been one of the stronger guys and quite often takes bigger turns.

And although this can be seen as the start of the 'Road to Rio' this is still the World Championships and a chance to win a rainbow jersey. There are not many big track events and other than the Olympics this is as big as it gets.
Old 02-21-13, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsharpe View Post
All this it only matters once every four years stuff gives me the ....
It's the way the funding works in the UK, I'm not saying it's right.
Old 02-21-13, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
I think that is doing a bit of a disservice to the Aussie team. I believe they were missing Rohan Dennis and Jack Bobridge. Clancy has always been one of the stronger guys and quite often takes bigger turns.

And although this can be seen as the start of the 'Road to Rio' this is still the World Championships and a chance to win a rainbow jersey. There are not many big track events and other than the Olympics this is as big as it gets.
The fact such a high proportion of big names can't even be bothered to turn up, and the lack of posting volume here rather gives the lie to the pretence that this is a particularly important competition.

Other than 1, 0 is as big as it gets in the binary system, and it ain't that big.
Old 02-21-13, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
The fact such a high proportion of big names can't even be bothered to turn up, and the lack of posting volume here rather gives the lie to the pretence that this is a particularly important competition.
Discussion here if this thread is boring you:
Disappointing 6th by Men's sprint considering 2 of the 3 are Olympic champions.

I don't know about Clancy. Also are Dennis & Bobridge continuing on the track at least for the time being. Considering their potentials I do not see either of them doing it but a lot could happen. Then again the British guys won gold, whilst the Aussies are yet to win it.