Saddle sores. - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 12-18-12, 06:32

Question Saddle sores.

So for the second time this year I am developing a saddle sore, what are others thoughts ? What do 'you' think causes them ? What do 'you' do to cope with them ? What do 'you' do to make them clear up ? For what it's worth most of my riding is done in Assos knicks, so no real concern about the chamois or fit. The last few months I have started using chamois cream, granted this may have been a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted so no idea if this would have saved me. I ride 15 hours a week (approx) and I do live in the tropics so it is warm and humid most of the year. Previously I have treated them by taking ibuprofen before I ride and treating after with 1% cortisone cream that we had laying around the house from when one of the kids had nappy rash, I have now run out. This seemed to work but in no way is it a definite cure. I really don't fancy along stint off the bike, but If I don't get on top of this I feel that may be the only solution. I had planned to visit a doctor and get his educated advice, but since that will have to wait a few days I thought I'd throw this out there in the meantime.
Thanks, any feed back would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-12, 08:39

I also live in the Tropics and occasionaly suffer from sores.Assos Chamois cream and very carefull cleansing after rides prevents most problems.Isopropyl alcohol is a very effective anti- bacterial cleanser, although if the skin is already sore it will sting like #*k.
Old 12-18-12, 09:44

So what your saying is that saddle sores are more of an infection than a pressure sore?
Old 12-18-12, 13:05

They can start off as an abrasion or an irritated hair follicle at which point they can easily become infected.
For me personally the problem is more to do with chafeing than pressure.
Old 12-18-12, 18:31

Many factors an contribute to a saddle sore there is no one fix. Just because you use a high end bib shorts does not mean they are for you (as far as preventing saddle sores), everyone is different and you will need to test and figure it out. Chamois cream, same thing, I used one brand that was supposed to be the best and what not and in the end I started to get the saddle area itches so bad I eventually figured out it was my chamois cream which for some reason started to irritate after a year or so of using it, I went back to the classic plain old chamois cream (Buttr, probably censored so B u t t r) and no problemo! Don't factor out cleanliness, might need to make sure its all squeaky clean including the bibs before using and no repeat use (not that you do), even the soap you are using, try that hand washing soap for dedicates girls use (forget the name its helps sometimes). Then there's actual physical abuse as in if you hit a bump too hard and took it in the groin area, can bruise and lead to a sore later if you rode too much. The infection thing requires a more close view, leave that up to you to figure out.
Old 12-18-12, 20:23

I'd try using an anti-septic such as Betadine liquid on the sore area before riding and also do thorough washing immediately after. Use a large cotton ball to apply the liquid.

If you also get 'chaffing' or mild abrasion, then use some sort of cream or lotion - I used A+D ointment, and it worked fine for me.

The combination of Betadine & A+D in the morning worked very well for me when I was doing daily commutes to work.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Old 12-18-12, 22:33

Before I began lubing my perineum religiously before every ride, I got saddle sores multiple times each year. Since, I often go entire seasons without even one. The lubes I've found most effective are based on a petroleum jelly (Vaseline), usually mixed with lanolin and sometimes an antiseptic compound thrown in for good measure. My particular favourite is one that AFAIK is only sold in the USA called "Bag Balm," originally formulated to soothe irritation of udders of cows being milked by machine.

A 10-oz (~280-g) tin of Bag Balm costs less than $10 USD. I tend always to get the sores in precisely the same spots so I apply liberally but only to a small area and a tin can last me several years.

I've tried chamois treatments such as Chamois B u t t'r and Assos chamois creme but I've had a superior result from lubes that are applied directly to the person rather than to the shorts. I don't know if it's the antiseptic or the lubricity that does the trick, all I know is it works.
Old 12-19-12, 06:03

One other thing to consider is your saddle shape and size. If it is too wide or narrow you can get chafing in places where your weight is distributed poorly or your legs rubbing too much. This isn't always easy to pinpoint but getting a saddle to match your hip width and flexibility is important.

If a good Chamois, Chamois cream and bike fit doesn't help, see a good fitter or physio and get the correct size and style saddle for you.
Old 12-22-12, 02:24

Your bike fit, or lack thereof, is your single main problem. Your saddle height is too high. Saddle sores are a pressure issue, nothing else. Also, you may have a leg length discrepancy that needs addressing and which is causing undue pressure on the affected side. Saddle sores are 99% of the time on one side or the other, not both. Immediately lower your saddle 2mm and I'd speculate you'll solve your saddle sore issue.
Old 02-20-13, 22:18

Several good replies here. If the sores are just chafing - then some sort of lubricant can help. It could also be saddle adjustment, but I think this is the least likely of the responses I read.

If the saddle sore is a boil or infection of some sort, cleanliness is the most likely answer. I use a facial scrub sponge on my sitting areas to make sure I get a little dermabrasion every time I shower (well, daily, anyway, since you might take more than one shower a day since it's warm). If I do that faithfully, I very rarely get boils. But, occasionally, I'll get a boil anyway. For me that scrub also usually acts to unplug and allow an existing boil to take care of itself.

Keeping the chamois clean is the other part of cleanliness. A post-ride rinsing is necessary. It would be better if the chamois is again dry when you begin your ride. After rinsing they should be hung in an open area to dry. Just hanging in the bathroom may be too humid, and might lead to bacterial/fungal/mildew growth on the chamois. The shorts should be laundered after no more than 3 or 4 wearings. Or, even more often if you continue to get boils.

Last edited by hiero2; 02-20-13 at 22:21.