2013 CQ Game Classics Edition - Page 10 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 02-20-13, 22:06

Send a message via ICQ to search Send a message via Skype™ to search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Did anybody else find that they took mostly cobble riders and not many ardennes riders?
yeah, but I think it's just because there is more value in there as most of the ardennes type riders are generally also good in stage races/mountain stages and therefor too expensive

most of your numbers for 2012 are a bit off btw, mutschi, no idea why, but it's just a range of ~20 points mainly so not much of a problem

Last edited by search; 02-20-13 at 22:10.
Old 02-20-13, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutschi View Post
My first time doing this game so I took a real statistical approach. I copied the results of all races of the last three years into a Excel Table inculding the CQ points. Then I wrote a Macro that added up all the points scored by each rider. That gave me a ranking of the best performers in these races over the last three years. Then I added the 31/12/2012 CQ points next to these riders. That showed me the best historical values for the cheapest riders and left me with a list of about 30 riders. I eliminated the injured and retired ones. Then I highlighted the ones that showed good form so far this year. That brought it down to about 20 and after that I had to make some tough choices. A fair question now would be: "Don't you have anything else to do?" I am a taxi driver and have lots of time to kill sometimes - so this is a nice way to pass time.
Will this team win? Of course. How can it not win.

12 Riders (incl. Gilbert), 2999 points.
Very good idea! Although I don't think past performances should be the only factor that you take into account. There are other important factors such as age (Leukemans and Flecha), injuries (Langeveld, Nuyens, Roelandts) different focus in other years (Geraint Thomas), ....
Old 02-20-13, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-King View Post
Very good idea! Although I don't think past performances should be the only factor that you take into account. There are other important factors such as age (Leukemans and Flecha), injuries (Langeveld, Nuyens, Roelandts) different focus in other years (Geraint Thomas), ....
Did you pick Roelandts? His price was a bit hefty thanks in part to his end of season boom and Olympics result.

As Search said it seems like a big key to the game is picking riders who score the majority of their points within the spring classics. So you are getting the most possible out of their costs.

Having said that I primarily just picked the riders I liked the best.

Last edited by Froome19; 02-20-13 at 23:27.
Old 02-20-13, 23:13

I just picked a bunch of well known guys that hit my eye. Ill see when teams get released if they are similar guys to what others opted for.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-20-13, 23:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Did anybody else find that they took mostly cobble riders and not many ardennes riders?
I found this, I looked all over for affordable guys that can do well in the ardennes. But the only really good one I found I would have to take Pippo out for, and I didn't want to do that.

I tried to take more chances and risks with my team. Picked a couple guys who I think have the potential to score big, but could end up not doing much. And I spent a hefty amount of points on a certain Swiss powerhouse (couldn't resist ).

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-21-13, 00:01

I do not have mostly cobbled riders. Only half.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-21-13, 09:57

I have a lot of unread messages waiting for me and I'm quite busy today, but I hope to be able to publish the teams later today.
Old 02-21-13, 10:44

Hmm, god damn I'm quick. Either that or it just turned out it didn't take that long. In any case, here's the spreadsheet with all the teams. Please send me a PM if you spot any mistake.

Classics edition:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dh7c7u68xnwi8bg

Edit: I had to edit one team which was above the 3000 limit. I don't like doing this, but I gave the team in question a heads up that the team was above 3000 points and I received a correction which still put the team above the limit. It really should be ones own responsibility to make sure the team is below the maximum, because I don't want to spend a lot of time reminding people about the rules when they are right there and available.

For what it's worth, the team was 20 points above the limit so I decided to swap Andy Schleck for one of the more popular zero-pointers, Jack Bobridge.

Edit 2: Regarding the spreadsheet, you'll notice that it's more simple than in the main game. The "points this week", etc. have been removed because the way I'm doing this, which most likely is a very bad way , it won't be possible to keep track of this. If anyone has a easier way of keeping track of the points than mine, feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited by Hugo Koblet; 02-21-13 at 11:05.
Old 02-21-13, 10:48

Here's my team - as one of the only 3 with both Gilbert and Cancellara

GILBERT Philippe
CANCELLARA Fabian
VANMARCKE Sep
THOMAS Geraint
NUYENS Nick
HUSHOVD Thor
ROLLIN Dominique
BONNET William
MAASKANT Martijn
COQUARD Bryan
SCHLECK Andy
FINETTO Mauro
Old 02-21-13, 11:42

Mine is one of the very few Hushovdless teams.

VAN AVERMAET Greg
LEUKEMANS Björn
POZZATO Filippo
GATTO Oscar
BRESCHEL Matti
LANGEVELD Sebastian
EISEL Bernhard
CHAINEL Steve
MAASKANT Martijn
DOCKER Mitchell
RATHE Jacob
CAMMAERTS Edwig