Sky - Page 1323 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-20-13, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersracer View Post
It's easy.

1. Wiggins' performance at the 2012 Tour is consistent with his performances going back to 2004 according to a critical power plot.
Wrong. It starts at 2004 and then leaps to 2009 - the first year that everyone uses the word, "surprise" for Wiggins' performance.

And in 2006 and 2008, 2 then 4 years after 2004 if you're counting, his 4-minute power was EXACTLY THE SAME.

ie no improvement.

Quote:
2. Wiggin's 2009 Tour performance was the result of his first year dedicated entirely to the road following his decision to leave the track after the 2008 Olympics. It took place on a team widely regarded to be the best case for clean cycling. If Wiggins' 2012 Tour performance was doped, then one is committed to his 2009 performance as doped as well, which means Garmin would be as dirty as Sky. Maybe, but this is a big leap.
Wrong. 2006 was dedicated to the road.

Quote:
3. Sky's marginal gains approach utilizes plausible incremental advances in training, equipment, and management.
Advances in training? Reverse periodisation? Uh huh.
Advances in equipment? Uh. No.
Advances in management? Read the latest Brailsford BS about how he is responsible for Froome's performance at Oman. What a PR spin master that guy is.

OR did you mean all the "management" that have since been dumped due to doping pasts?

Quote:
4. Sky is more disciplined and structured. Nibali regrets not going to Sky because he realizes it is the best team. Their approach comes out of British Cycling, which has a proven record of success and has never had a rider implicated in doping.
Except Rob Hayles, who, after 8 years as a track rider, all of a sudden needs a high HCt exemption. Such a short memory you masters blokes seem to have. Or David Millar, how can you forget good old Davey boy.

Quote:
5. What is often overlooked. The 10% reduction in power outputs over the last few years means new riders will emerge as previously dominant doped riders are no longer competitive without doping - Basso is a prime example. Under this scenario, it would be predicted that riders such as Froome would emerge.
Except people are still doping. And the "clean" guys are making a mockery of them. They have not drawn even. They have smashed them into the ground.

Quote:
6. No Sky performance has been documented to be physiologically suspicious by sports scientists examining power outputs during the last 2 Tours.
Until you look at the turn around of form - then it looks almost ridiculous.

Quote:
almost forgot: Wiggins won the Tour because it had over 100km of ITT, few real mountain finishes, and Schleck and Contador did not participate.
Yes, the final TdF TT, where Wiggins hoped he might win one day, but not by 2.5 minutes to 5th place like Vino did to him; the margin so clearly indicative of doping. The exact margin from 2012 TdF.

Last edited by Dear Wiggo; 02-20-13 at 23:04.
Old 02-20-13, 22:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Not now. But yes then.
You think if JV knew about BWs doping in 09 he would have mentioned it? Really?

Quote:
Wouldn't have been worth it for Wiggins to go of and do his own doping away from the auspices of Vaughter and therefore jepoardise the whole team.

Unless you say that is the reason Wiggins left after that season which is a possibility.
Is this back to the theory that Garmin would shut down for a positive test?
That's a theory that has never happened - one positive will be put on the individual. Whether true or not.
Old 02-20-13, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Is this back to the theory that Garmin would shut down for a positive test?
That's a theory that has never happened - one positive will be put on the individual. Whether true or not.
And would it stop there?
Garmin's credibility would nevertheless be severely dented.
I don't know if they would shut down but I for one would not take them seriously ever again and I know many who would do likewise.
Old 02-20-13, 23:13
Banned

Quote:
And would it stop there?
Would what stop where?

Quote:
Garmin's credibility would nevertheless be severely dented.
I don't know if they would shut down but I for one would not take them seriously ever again and I know many who would do likewise.
This is what I don't get - you said earlier the team would go "bust", now it's damaged.
Every team runs that risk - and quite frankly it is a real possibility in any team.
Old 02-20-13, 23:22
Banned

[QUOTE=Dear Wiggo;1145903]Wrong. It starts at 2004 and then leaps to 2009 - the first year that everyone uses the word, "surprise" for Wiggins' performance.

There are some apparent misunderstandings regarding the critical power plot. The fact is, his performances from 2009 and later are self-consistent with his 2004 performance. This is what the R2 value shows - the goodness of fit. There's no leap in sustainable power. The 'magical transformation' is a myth, based on the unreliability of using relative performance.
Old 02-20-13, 23:27
Banned

Quote:
There are some apparent misunderstandings regarding the critical power plot. The fact is, his performances from 2009 and later are self-consistent with his 2004 performance. This is what the R2 value shows - the goodness of fit. There's no leap in sustainable power. The 'magical transformation' is a myth, based on the unreliability of using relative performance.
Any 'misunderstanding' would be because you claimed this originally:
Quote:
It's easy.

1. Wiggins' performance at the 2012 Tour is consistent with his performances going back to 2004 according to a critical power plot.
Old 02-20-13, 23:30
Administrator

Quote:
Imagine it like this. Wiggins was a rider who was always capable of riding to that Top 4 place. He was the Thibau Pinot of 2005 or whatever but instead of climbing mountains in France he is focusing on riding in circle in Manchester. He just never had the chance. When would he have had the chance to prove it? When he was practising every day riding prologues on the track?

Or do you expect Wiggins who is riding on the track and weighs a significant amount more than the other GC contenders and is training in an entirely different manner to start actually being capable of climbing in GTs?
You and Mastrer Racer have completely missed the point of my post. Look at the timescales involved that I quoted. Factor in the 2 month, at least, bender, factor in the weight loss, factor in everything else I posted and then come back and tell me why it was always written in the stats that an up until then broomwagon avoider, in the space of months, yes months, can climb with the best climbers in the world.

If he was such a freak of nature, why wasn't he able to switch this phenomenon on and off before then. Or do you really believe Brad woke up hungover on, let's say, being generous again 1 December 2008, grossly overweight (for a pro) and with no road miles in his legs, and certainly no climbing miles at the speed he was about to show, and decided that's enough and turned himself into a Swan. Or did he wake up and think, how the fook do I catch up with these guys and make the big bucks they are on.
Old 02-20-13, 23:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Any 'misunderstanding' would be because you claimed this originally:
Where is the inconsistency between the two statements?
Old 02-20-13, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
If he was such a freak of nature, why wasn't he able to switch this phenomenon on and off before then. Or do you really believe Brad woke up hungover on, let's say, being generous again 1 December 2008, grossly overweight (for a pro) and with no road miles in his legs, and certainly no climbing miles at the speed he was about to show, and decided that's enough and turned himself into a Swan. Or did he wake up and think, how the fook do I catch up with these guys and make the big bucks they are on.
No he won his Olympic golds on the track and decided that now he had fulfilled that stage of his career he would focus on the road.

Many riders have come back from injury and performed well within a time frame of 8 months. I don't see what is so fishy about that. Those guys would have just about been as much out of shape as Wiggins. It is not like we are teaching Wiggins here to ride up my mountains or anything. It takes proper training to covert from the track to the road but it is not that momentous. Of course you can not compare Geraint Thomas riding up Corkscrew hill to Wiggins riding Ventoux etc but would you be all that surprised if say Thomas was capable of climbing with the big guns that he then goes to the Tour and climbs with the best. He has shown something before, but what difference does that make? He is coming from the shape which Wiggins was in, in 2008. Albeit he has to lose less kgs etc but is it all that much of a leap of faith to extend that Wiggins?
Old 02-20-13, 23:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Where is the inconsistency between the two statements?
I didnt say inconsistency - we said 'misunderstanding'.

Masterracer wrote -" Wiggins' performance at the 2012 Tour is consistent with his performances going back to 2004 according to a critical power plot".

Coggan had done some figures on selected events. It was not based on an entire Tour.