Minsk World Championships - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Track > General

General From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Old 02-24-13, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
It was not intended as a literal accusations - just that all the German sprinters clearly get so gym obsessed their thighs end up looking like live stock which have been encouraged to rather unnatural proportions, which given cows tend to be rather poor at the dead lift, I would assume are achieved through drugs in their case.

And no, that is not the case across the board - Vogel is much bigger in the thighs than James, who in turn is much bigger than Pendleton.
I take your point with the Germans' men and women. It is more likely cultural i.e.they train in different ways to GB women/men and select shorter stocky body types because culturally they believe this makes better sprinters etc.... Their size though, in my view, is not the only factor in alleged doping....the speed of the 200m time trial that the women are now doing is a far greater prediction, and takes away nationality bias/body type predudice of doping too (the women's200m times at sea level are now at 10.7 this is seriously fast. I will say that Becky James is a very big girl, but much taller than the German Vogal, so doesn't look as big, but she is big.

Last edited by horsinabout; 02-24-13 at 17:30.
Old 02-24-13, 17:40

Default minsk worlds

It's not the Indiv Pursuit but the 3000m team is now becoming a 4000m team pursuit with I believe four riders. What sort of times will be done 4.20mark?
Old 02-24-13, 18:41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esafosfina View Post
It's not the Indiv Pursuit but the 3000m team is now becoming a 4000m team pursuit with I believe four riders. What sort of times will be done 4.20mark?
The GB team - Trott, King, Barker, Rowsell - should be untouchable for a few years - no other team has anything like the depth - Storey and Houvenaghal would have walked into any other national team on the planet and improved it.

If USA could round up a few girls to help the Hammer it would certainly make it more interesting.
Old 02-24-13, 18:43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsinabout View Post
I take your point with the Germans' men and women. It is more likely cultural i.e.they train in different ways to GB women/men and select shorter stocky body types because culturally they believe this makes better sprinters etc.... Their size though, in my view, is not the only factor in alleged doping....the speed of the 200m time trial that the women are now doing is a far greater prediction, and takes away nationality bias/body type predudice of doping too (the women's200m times at sea level are now at 10.7 this is seriously fast. I will say that Becky James is a very big girl, but much taller than the German Vogal, so doesn't look as big, but she is big.
The Germans believe in 'Thighs', hard training and power over cadence - why wouldn't they, it's almost always right - Pendleton was the exception that proved the rule. Think of Hoy in his pomp, or Levy or Bauge, or even Meares. Itmakes all sorts of sense. Pendleton isn't the prototype, she's the outlier.

James is huge thighed, but hides it well

From a year or two ago:

or an even better comparison

Last edited by martinvickers; 02-24-13 at 18:47.
Old 02-24-13, 19:12

Quote:
Interesting to see if they can beat the men's individual record in time.

It's also the reason I dislike this sort of parity - it makes it too easy for me to see the gap in performance.
Old 02-25-13, 17:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
The Germans believe in 'Thighs', hard training and power over cadence - why wouldn't they, it's almost always right - Pendleton was the exception that proved the rule. Think of Hoy in his pomp, or Levy or Bauge, or even Meares. Itmakes all sorts of sense. Pendleton isn't the prototype, she's the outlier.

James is huge thighed, but hides it well.
I thought Becky James was looking much more like Queen Vic in build (albeit taller) than previously. She's a lot thinner now than in your pictures, which are a couple of years old.

Lovely looking lady, it must be said.
Old 02-25-13, 18:30

Botticher beats Dmitriev for Sprint Gold
Old 02-25-13, 18:46

Quote:
Men's individ. 4:11 team pursuit 3:52

Women's individ 3:22 team pursuit 3:14

est. Women's ( 4:27 ) (4:17)

Don't forget acceleration to average speed still takes the same time.

Compare:
Men's 3k individ Masters ( 3:22-3:25) almost same time as women's team.

My estimate would be 4:17

I would want to be at the next world cup race and try to set the world record, even just for a month till the next cup race.
Old 02-25-13, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
The GB team - Trott, King, Barker, Rowsell - should be untouchable for a few years - no other team has anything like the depth - Storey and Houvenaghal would have walked into any other national team on the planet and improved it.

If USA could round up a few girls to help the Hammer it would certainly make it more interesting.
Seeing Hammer drag that team around on her own is a sight to behold. Phenomenal athlete. Really pleased she won the Omnium. And a surprisingly frank admission from Trott that 'she just doesn't know' how to ride the points race. Imagine it's quite a tricky discipline to train for?

Shane Sutton has confirmed that the Ed Clancy experiment in the sprint team won't be continued, thank God

Last edited by postmanhat; 02-25-13 at 22:27.
Old 02-25-13, 22:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmanhat View Post
Seeing Hammer drag that team around on her own is a sight to behold. Phenomenal athlete. Really pleased she won the Omnium. And a surprisingly frank admission from Trott that 'she just doesn't know' how to ride the points race. Imagine it's quite a tricky discipline to train for?
Note the US and Irish pooled resources this week - result? three golds and a silver from just two riders.

BBC did an interview with Trott post-omnium, kept saying she was "super happy" to have won a medal - it was the most obvious lie I've ever seen; she was clearly absolutely seething. God help J Kenny that night.

I think the competitive fire in Trott is a force of bl**dy nature. barring amputation, she's gonna rack up titles like a Mercx. I honestly think only Hammer can truly live with her.

As for points race - Trott should simply have shadowed Hammer like a leech, and used her wheel for a sprint or two - neutralise the Hammer threat rather than try and win the event itself.

Quote:
Shane Sutton has confirmed that the Ed Clancy experiment in the sprint team won't be continued, thank God
Clancy was insurance in case UCI brought back the Kilo for 2016 - we know now that won't happen. Clancy was born to Kilo. but they REALLY need him for Pursuit, which is in danger of becoming, oddly, their weakest team event, especially if they can sort out Varnish - Williamson is no Man One. GB would really love UCI to make women's sprint a three; the depth would come into play...

Have to say, Becky james is something else - meares will need a new voodoo doll!!