Sky - Page 1353 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-25-13, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Great username.

Perhaps you can explain why the world champ in 4km IP can't do squat against pro road riders in a 4.1km TT?
@doc maserati: see what I mean here? Right on cue, the same tired old rubbish gets wheeled out. Wiggins might be doping, but this argument is simply incorrect. Anyone can go look up Wiggins' palmares in both short and long TTs and see that dear wiggo is just plain wrong

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-25-13 at 02:22. Reason: personal insult redacted
Old 02-25-13, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
Pardon?

Ok, ok, Pereiro did win a 15k TTT (!) once. And, Sastre won a TTT that was twice as long.

The chicken almost won the tour, even though he couldn't complete a TT without crashing. At least three times. I think I could have walked the course faster. Thank goodness for whereabouts reporting.

Dave.
Whoa genius examlel there with Pereiro coz like that year wasn't a complete fluke.

try harder next time

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-25-13 at 02:20. Reason: personal insult redacted
Old 02-25-13, 01:53

Nervous much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVROh...ailpage#t=298s
Old 02-25-13, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebs cycle View Post
Whoa genius examlel there with Pereiro coz like that year wasn't a complete fluke.

try harder next time.
He did try harder: Sastre.
And I would add: Hesjedal, Cobo, Scarponi, Nibali, Andy Schleck, Basso, I won't go on but that's just for the last 3 seasons.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-25-13 at 02:22.
Old 02-25-13, 01:56
Banned

Quote:
@doc maserati: see what I mean here? Right on cue, the same tired old rubbish gets wheeled out. Wiggins might be doping, but this argument is simply incorrect. Anyone can go look up Wiggins' palmares in both short and long TTs and see that dear wiggo is just plain wrong.
Actually, no - I do not.

You seriously think I have anything in common with DW?
It is that sort of 'with us or against us' attitude you have that actually calls in to question your objectivity on any Sky matter, not the data you present.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-25-13 at 02:22.
Old 02-25-13, 02:04

Quote:
But you know very well that nobody ever won a GT without being a world class TTer...
More dodgy logic from krebs cycle. Riders with subpar ITTs frequently win the Giro and the Vuelta.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-25-13 at 02:24. Reason: insulting use of handle edited
Old 02-25-13, 02:10

Quote:
I enjoy your posts Alex. You really know your stuff!

There is a good article that shows that maximal anaerobic capacity (as estimated by MAOD) is dependent on event specificity. So in fact, even the idea that maximal anaerobic capacity is "fixed" is gradually changing towards one in which it is recognized that it is variable depending on a variety of conditions (eg: effect training program).

Int J Sports Med. 1995 Nov;16(8):534-40.
Influence of test duration and event specificity on maximal accumulated oxygen deficit of high performance track cyclists.
Craig NP, Norton KI, Conyers RA, Woolford SM, Bourdon PC, Stanef T, Walsh CB.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8776208
Cool. I had a good teacher but never went to class.

Have you seen these items on my blog?:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/20...dys-wabac.html

In there I plot an estimate of MAOD from a 4km individual pursuit, a 2km team pursuit, a 1km track TT and the opening minutes (including attack) in a point race. Even in the kilo you can see I was able to dump the majority of my AWC in a short time.

There's also a link to this earlier item examining the MAOD of riders in a team pursuit:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/20...s-pursuit.html
Old 02-25-13, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Great username.

Perhaps you can explain why the world champ in 4km IP can't do squat against pro road riders in a 4.1km TT?
? Hepburn?
Pretty new to the pro road race scene joining OGE last year.

Boardman road several of the fastest TdF prologues in history and world pursuit record. Brad McGee won a TdF prologue and Olympic silver in pursuit (gold went to Wiggins). David Millar won British pursuit champs and of course prologues. Taylor Phinney does well in both.

There are however some differences in prologues, as some courses involve additional technical components, and little more neuromuscular demand and variable terrain and environmental conditions when compared to a track pursuit, and in such circumstances you will find that often roadie lead out men and some sprinters and team pursuit riders often do pretty well in such events (e.g. O'Grady, Hushovd, Durbridge style of rider).

Many roadies just don't / didn't do track so who knows what they may have been capable of in the velodrome. Track is barely a professional sport for those not supported by national sports bodies.
Old 02-25-13, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
? Hepburn?
Pretty new to the pro road race scene joining OGE last year.
No, Bradley Wiggins, 2006 Dauphine prologue. Out and back dead flat course.
Old 02-25-13, 03:22

Quote:
But you know very well that nobody ever won a GT without being a world class TTer, and therefore you know that in order to win a GT you need two very important characteristics, 1. you need to be able to TT and 2. you need to be able to climb.
I think we can put that to rest.

Quote:
Wiggins always had one of those two vital ingredients, which puts him well ahead of the vast majority of GT contenders.
Of course, "world class TTer" depends on your definition of "world class".

For some, it means, "competing in the same race as the people who win world championship TTs or protour TTs".

To me, and some others, it means, "winning multiple world championship TTs or winning protour TTs, regularly".

Fabian Cancellara is a prime example of the latter.

Bradley Wiggins is not. "Always been a world-class TTer" appears to mean, "after 2009" when it comes to Wiggins.

Keep in mind: one point that sticks in most (WTF Wiggins!?) posters' minds is the fact that between the end of 2008 and the start of the 2009 road season, gold medal Olympian Wiggins lost ~10% body weight, and continued to lose another 7% by 2011. All the while becoming a true Fabian Cancellara level TTer.

Last edited by Dear Wiggo; 02-25-13 at 03:44.