Homemade chain lube??? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 02-23-13, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyrbjornSterki View Post
Again from page 62:

"LONGEVITY RESULTS
We tested eight of the lubes for longevity, simulating a single dirty, wet ride and testing efficiency before and after..."

"...Once again, the old technology of paraffin wax vanquished all comers. In the longevity test, it was completely unperturbed by water, sand, and dirt; in fact, it was over 0.5 watts faster after being run for an hour in the grime....."
That contradicts the answer than Zinn gave about the test.

Anyway, I don't believe it. Longevity and wet resistance of wax is crap. I have tried wax and so have lots of other 24 hour racers. The stuff sucks in the muck. The best are heavy oils like Phil's Tenacious Oil or chainsaw bar oil.
Old 02-26-13, 07:18

Slowtwitch thread on waxing.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.c...t;post=4410411
Old 02-26-13, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
That contradicts the answer than Zinn gave about the test.

Anyway, I don't believe it. Longevity and wet resistance of wax is crap. I have tried wax and so have lots of other 24 hour racers. The stuff sucks in the muck. The best are heavy oils like Phil's Tenacious Oil or chainsaw bar oil.
I agree. My experiences off-road weren't good. I had a lube I liked where the carrier basically evaporates for my dry/dusty conditions. I'd do what you are doing for wet conditions.

Waxing is good on the road especially if you soften the wax with beeswax and then put the hot chain in the freezer so the wax stays inside the roller assemblies. It keeps everything really, really clean.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 02-26-13, 21:38

I can only sit here and laugh. I've been waxing for years now and the smoothness, quietness (aka stealthness), cleanness of it all. If you haven't tried it then you don't know how good it is (yet, you can still try it). Yes, on the road and not off-road (so we're clear), and yes for on rain rides. Keep debating it, I need to laugh some more
Old 02-27-13, 04:44

I have used chainsaw bar oil for years.

It is the best lube I have found for longevity, both wet and dry, ability to run quiet and tendency to not gunk up.

I just use a chain cleaner to apply it. Put some oil in the chamber and then run the the chain through it a few times. The brushes seem to do a good job of getting the oil into the links, rollers and pins.

Add to that, it's cheap like Borscht.
Old 02-27-13, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcell View Post
I have used chainsaw bar oil for years.

It is the best lube I have found for longevity, both wet and dry, ability to run quiet and tendency to not gunk up.

I just use a chain cleaner to apply it. Put some oil in the chamber and then run the the chain through it a few times. The brushes seem to do a good job of getting the oil into the links, rollers and pins.

Add to that, it's cheap like Borscht.
Just done a quick search and think I might give this a try. Funnily enough I found a mirror thread to this one where someone was asking how to make homebrew chainsaw oil!
Old 02-27-13, 15:44

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I can only sit here and laugh. I've been waxing for years now and the smoothness, quietness (aka stealthness), cleanness of it all. If you haven't tried it then you don't know how good it is (yet, you can still try it). Yes, on the road and not off-road (so we're clear), and yes for on rain rides. Keep debating it, I need to laugh some more
If only we had a thumbs up icon for inside the post, but +1 is the best I can do!

I can't even figure out how some of these guys get so few miles between wax jobs. Unless, they are applying the wax on a dirty chain. Which is the only reason I avoid using the wax bath to also clean the chain - it decreases the longevity of the wax application, and the chain. Meh, over the years I'd gotten used to ppl not listening, but I thought, "geez, now we have evidence!" - and I guess I was wrong. Folks will do what folks will do. I'm goin' back to my cave. I'll poke my head out when I hear ya laughin' El.

Cheers!
Old 03-07-13, 18:33

This "miracle Lube" is being promoted over on V-Salon

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ver-29984.html

Supposedly cleans the chain at the same as lubes it. Anyone in the Petro business that might have a clue what on earth they are using in this stuff??
Old 03-10-13, 23:34
Editor-in-chief

Almost every vendor of chain lube under the sun offers a cleaner/lube combination, not the least of which is WD-40.

Dupont's "Teflon Chain Saver" is a PTFE (Teflon solids) lube in a wax carrier. It does a great job of lubing the chain while staying reasonable clean. The idea is that the liquid wax carries the Teflon into the tight tolerances of the chain where it becomes embedded in the metal pores. This is superb lubrication. In wet weather some can wash off so there are compromises. The Chainsaw bar oil is a very good lube for tough conditions. Almost any other type lube, store bought or home made, will do fine. But to clean your chain, just liberally spray it with WD-40 then lube over it. These hip "magic formula" chain lubes you see pop up here and there are mostly to make a quick dollar.
Old 03-12-13, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcell View Post
This "miracle Lube" is being promoted over on V-Salon

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ver-29984.html

Supposedly cleans the chain at the same as lubes it. Anyone in the Petro business that might have a clue what on earth they are using in this stuff??
Howdy Gents, I can help answer some questions. NFS has no Teflon in it and is a all petroleum product formulated to perform very well in dirty conditions. Getting it right had alot to do with my own racing experience + alot of testing with riders who log large miles. It is not a "miracle lube" and it does not "clean your chain" as you ride. It does it's job under challenging conditions. Some of the comments are from riders who do not mince words http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post454342
All I can say is "so far so good" we are getting very good reports from good old road riders under ordinary conditions and from knuckleheads in foreign countries who think that riding for 4 hrs. in sticky mud is fun. I'm still waiting to hear from someone near the Arctic Circle who says that they will be shocked if the lube flows at -40F