So what's the deal with the 'world' cup again??? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 03-08-09, 20:51
Editor-in-chief

Default So what's the deal with the 'world' cup again???

2009/10 world cup STILL in the same old places.. See link to events list here http://www.ukcyclocross.com/profiles...phy-events-for

What's the UCI doing? Belgium and Holland already have a blossoming cyclocross scene and the Superprestige, GVA Trophy races mean a fantastic race scene guaranteed there. Is there any point giving 'World Cup' status to races that would exist and be popular without it? I thought the World Cup was to encourage the spread of the sport (something that is happening despite the UCI's efforts!.

Same old, same old...
Old 03-10-09, 10:49
Editor-in-chief

Very good point. There was a good article on this in the latest 'Ride' magazine. Well worth a read.
Old 03-10-09, 14:41

As you might know organizing a cx World Cup event is rather expensive. Especially since the standard of organizing races in Flanders has been set quite high with all their pro riders. That means that organizations who can't create the same amount of money in their region would have to organize a high-level event without making any profit. I guess the UCI cx department isn't able to make up for those losses as their budget isn't huge (they're also spending budget on price money).

The UCI probably prefers to spend most of their budget on the Olympic disciplines. That's probably why most World Cup races are held in the popular cx areas. With the profit of those World Cup races they can organize events in other countries.

Of course we would all want cyclo-cross to grow but for now cross remains what it is. A struggling discipline in the world of cycling.
Old 03-10-09, 21:16

Default Vegas??

Has anyone heard what is going on with the 'Cross Vegas becoming a UCI World Cup event?
Last I heard they were still looking for a big Sponsor to help with the costs but the UCI had given them some more time.
Anyone hear anything else?
Old 03-11-09, 06:40

They ran out of time anyway, maybe next year
Old 03-14-09, 00:04

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

The point is money.

The american organisations can't afford the huge amount they would have to pay to top cyclists as Sven Nys, Niels Albert, etc... let's say 7000 euro for Nys and Albert is already 14.000 euro (17.500 dollar), and I'm not even talking about all other top Belgian riders...

to put it quit simply, they can't afford holding a world cup cross, so they didn't apply for it
Old 03-14-09, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Very good point. There was a good article on this in the latest 'Ride' magazine. Well worth a read.
Yep read that too, not too sure if overseas guys get "Ride", but one thing that was made clear is the money aspect for the top riders, the races they compete in all depends on the cash on offer.
Old 03-16-09, 10:33
Editor-in-chief

Then I guess the simple and honourable thing for the UCI to do would be to stop calling it a World Cup !!
Old 03-16-09, 20:03

The issue is always money... I think that there is enough money in the US for them to put together a World Cup Cyclo-Cross event. It is the largest growing sport in North America. I think it will happen in the next couple years.
Old 06-06-09, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnellium View Post
Then I guess the simple and honourable thing for the UCI to do would be to stop calling it a World Cup !!
Perhaps the baseball authorities will rename the World Series