The Logisitics of Doping - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 07-01-09, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake8 View Post
And to clarify because clearly you and others feel the need to silence this subject because it does not back up the view that 90+% of the peloton is doped. I am not asking how I should dope, I am asking how they get away with it. People have referenced all this omerta, but to carry out what some of you allege (and I have a healthy skepticism about the cleanliness of pro riders) is going on. Where do all the needles go? All i hear anyone saying is the same "Its not rocket science." Yet you also want to compare it to clandestine government agencies.
Before Festina, needles and empty packages were put in hotel's garbages or in the rooms.
Later we have seen US Postal people throwing them in garbages along the routes, in their rubbish were found 200 syringes, package of actovegin and other products,...
Now we can only suppose, that team are more cautious.
Old 07-01-09, 18:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake8 View Post
And to clarify because clearly you and others feel the need to silence this subject because it does not back up the view that 90+% of the peloton is doped.
Firstly - who said that 90% of the peleton are doped? From reading your posts I think you agree that there is a significant doping problem but as to what percentage it is is pure speculation.

I do not know how the logistics of how teams/riders dope.
However in 98 we know it was as simple as filling the car with meds.
Rumsas wife was caught with the gear crossing the border, also another rider had his Father follow him around in a camper van.

The most recent evidence is from Puerto - go to your 'Doctor' either a clinic or rented apartment.
For top ups Kohl said his manager rented a room at the same hotel and sent a text when they were ready.
Old 07-01-09, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Firstly - who said that 90% of the peleton are doped? From reading your posts I think you agree that there is a significant doping problem but as to what percentage it is is pure speculation.

I do not know how the logistics of how teams/riders dope.
However in 98 we know it was as simple as filling the car with meds.
Rumsas wife was caught with the gear crossing the border, also another rider had his Father follow him around in a camper van.

The most recent evidence is from Puerto - go to your 'Doctor' either a clinic or rented apartment.
For top ups Kohl said his manager rented a room at the same hotel and sent a text when they were ready.
I agree its a problem. Frankly I veer in my views from they are all cheating to something like 15-20% percentage are cheating. Most of the heavy posters on this forum argue that most riders, especially the top riders are cheating.

I really don't know. I do know that if they are all doping, especially with blood top ups, the logistical exercise would be a huge operation involving a lot of helpers, some of whom it would certainly be in their interest at some point to rat out one rider or another.

Eh, whatever...
Old 07-01-09, 21:21

I am a Community Psychiatric Nurse, and one of the injections I give HAS to be kept at refridgeration temp, then brought to room temp before administration. Visiting some people at home who do not wish their neighbours (and sometimes family) to know they're receiving an injection,or are being seen by a psychiatric nurse, I can transport this injection, in it's box, wrapped in a (silent) ice bag, with a sharps box, waste disposal bag, plastic gloves, recording kardex and so on in a large handbag. Easy-peasy. If all I had to do was carry the injection, it would be even simpler.

Years ago, before small sharps boxes came into being, we used to take an empty coffee jar for sharps. I would imagine that having an insulin using diabetic soigneur would help enormously.

What has always puzzled me, however, is how on earth they manage to cover up the needle marks after the transfusions. OK, Arnica cream is fantastic stuff, but the marks on their arms would surely show. I can only assume that they're choosing more hidden veins.
Old 07-01-09, 21:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusher View Post
What has always puzzled me, however, is how on earth they manage to cover up the needle marks after the transfusions. OK, Arnica cream is fantastic stuff, but the marks on their arms would surely show. I can only assume that they're choosing more hidden veins.
Thanks for your post- that is interesting.
Actually quite a lot of the Pro peleton sport tattoo's on their arms!

And snake I was not having a go at you as this is an interesting subject - apologies if it came across that way.
Old 07-01-09, 21:33

Em, on the off chance that my boss is lurking and can identify my nickname, I would like to point out that I do, in fact, always use the nice District Nurse gladstone bag the NHS give me for carrying injections. The one with the emergency adrenaline injection and 57 other items we HAVE to carry and give us shoulder ache. None of us ever, ever take stuff in our handbags, oh no.

Not even when we're going in to blocks of flats full of drug addicts who would be delighted to relieve us of our heavy bags (and supply of clean needles). Oh no, not us.
Old 07-01-09, 22:49

Quote:
I am a Community Psychiatric Nurse, and one of the injections I give HAS to be kept at refridgeration temp, then brought to room temp before administration. Visiting some people at home who do not wish their neighbours (and sometimes family) to know they're receiving an injection,or are being seen by a psychiatric nurse, I can transport this injection, in it's box, wrapped in a (silent) ice bag, with a sharps box, waste disposal bag, plastic gloves, recording kardex and so on in a large handbag. Easy-peasy. If all I had to do was carry the injection, it would be even simpler.

Years ago, before small sharps boxes came into being, we used to take an empty coffee jar for sharps. I would imagine that having an insulin using diabetic soigneur would help enormously.

Its all oral that I can think of. Are you giving Chlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) ?

I'm just thinking about Lithium, Lamotrigine.. Anti-convulsants, etc

Last edited by BigBoat; 07-01-09 at 22:54.
Old 07-01-09, 22:55

Quote:
blocks of flats full of drug addicts who would be delighted to relieve us of our heavy bags (and supply of clean needles). Oh no, not us.
Oh I see. Thats interesting.
Old 07-01-09, 23:50

It's Risperidone, Bigboat

Last edited by Tusher; 07-01-09 at 23:58.
Old 07-02-09, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Thanks for your post- that is interesting.
Actually quite a lot of the Pro peleton sport tattoo's on their arms!

And snake I was not having a go at you as this is an interesting subject - apologies if it came across that way.
Nah, I was agreeing with you. And i agree that I find it interesting. How do they hide the injection marks? I'm not so clueless to think all the subterfuge can't be done, but I hope I am cynical enough to question that it can be done on the scale that some allege without the involvement of a huge amount of help.

I dont really know what to believe honestly. I find some of the "they all dope and you are a complete moron for thinking otherwise" crowd to be a little over the top, bu they make some seriously valid points (not you TTF and Centric ;-)) On the other hand I just find the charade and scale to be implausible.

Really the whole thing begs for a psychological/anthropological study because the difference between the believers and the doubters in this somewhat closed community is insanely different, yet we all more or less still care. The way some of the doubters and the 'fanboys' around here act you'd think we were talking Allah vs Jesus....

Ah whatever....Sat. can't some soon enough...I enjoy the spectacle...