[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-30-10, 06:04

Default [Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

It seems an appropriate time to start this upon Shayne Bannan's resignation from cycling Australia. Now there is nothing that is definative but we may find out soon whether this roumer will come to fruition as Bannan said things like he "intends to remain involved with international cycling and will make an announcement in mid-January as to the nature of that involvement and his future plans." This could co-incide with the TDU and would be an ideal time to officially anounce plans for a team to maximise publicity and exposure to the Australian and international cycling public.

Furthermore, Somebody mentioned in one of the forums (possibly the Pegasus forum) that Gerry Ryan - owner of Jayco Caravans had announced on 9 News that he aimed to have a Australian team in the Tour de France by 2012. Whether or not this is the case, Ryan is a man heavily involved in Australian sport - already in cycling with the domestic team Jayco-Skins and sponsoring a number of other cycling events events but also in horse racing, owning half of Melbourne cup winning horse Americain. He has prevoiusly been involved in sponsoring Basketball teams and is also involved in the St Kilda Football Club and the Melbourne Storm. The reason for pointing all this out is that he's an enthusiest and a man of effective action - unlike Chris White perhaps. He is said to have something like a 180 million dollar fortune and narrowly missed out featuring on the BRW Rich 200 list for 2010.

I have also heard mention that Scott Sunderland and/or Neil Stephans could be involved in the venture. Anyone have further evidence, comments, announcements or speculation about this team, here is the place to post it!
Old 12-30-10, 06:10

When I first saw he was leaving I just assumed he was another defection to the UK

But I like your linkages, it could be something like this.
Old 12-30-10, 06:14

More and more looking the case.

As he has been heavily involved in other sports (and cycling) over a long period of time, I'm more likely to think a project he's involved with would be successful.
Old 12-30-10, 08:37

It's what I have heard, can't see then using Sunderland - at least as a DS any how.
Old 12-30-10, 09:31

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...230-19b06.html
Old 12-30-10, 10:06

Make way for Chris White Mk II !
Old 12-30-10, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuarts View Post
Make way for Chris White Mk II !
I doubt that this project will be run badly like this. Ferminal, what sydney21 said aren't just linkages but it is starting to become well known that guys such as bannan & sunderland want to become involved in this project. It will be like the Sky of 2012.

The CH9 story was mostly about his business but he said he had one more big goal he wanted to acheive which is to have an australian pro team in the tdf by 2012. Just thinking about this makes me excited! Especially because this looks to be properly backed with some people who know what they are doing.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-30-10, 10:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
I doubt that this project will be run badly like this. Ferminal, what sydney21 said aren't just linkages but it is starting to become well known that guys such as bannan & sunderland want to become involved in this project. It will be like the Sky of 2012.

The CH9 story was mostly about his business but he said he had one more big goal he wanted to acheive which is to have an australian pro team in the tdf by 2012. Just thinking about this makes me excited! Especially because this looks to be properly backed with some people who know what they are doing.
The problem with that idea is that there need to be riders available to make the dream come true. And without any big names the dream of the 2012 tour will just be a pipe dream. So who do we know that is a very big name that only has a contract for this year will take the risk after what we've seen happening with Geox
Old 12-30-10, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrus View Post
The problem with that idea is that there need to be riders available to make the dream come true. And without any big names the dream of the 2012 tour will just be a pipe dream. So who do we know that is a very big name that only has a contract for this year will take the risk after what we've seen happening with Geox
Guys like Porte and Goss I am pretty sure are off contract next year. I think Lee Howard is and possibly Wes Sulzburger is too. I don't think there will be any shortage of off contract riders but it may be hard to get them to sign up just because of the element of risk involved. Obviously there will need to be a number of international signings just as there was with Pegasus in order for the team to be competative.

I think that the team would be better off aiming for a year as a pro conti team in 2012. That way they could build up a strong base of riders without being forced to sign any riders to simply fill roster space and not the ones that they want. And if they want to become Pro-tour in 2013 then team leaders would be more comfortable to make the move in the knowledge that it is a firmly established team.

Either way it is a venture that I will be following closely and one that I believe will be better organised and much more secure than Pegasus. That debacle wikll aid them in not making the same mistakes. And with an Aussie entrepeneur and cycling enthusiest as owner there won't be a last minute retraction of funds.
Old 12-30-10, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBVK View Post
More and more looking the case.

As he has been heavily involved in other sports (and cycling) over a long period of time, I'm more likely to think a project he's involved with would be successful.
Do you call the melbourne storm successful?
I think he could pump too much money into the team with bribes or money for drug research