Valverde Facing a Two-Year Ban - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-01-09, 13:45

Default Valverde Facing a Two-Year Ban

Coni have acted. They have called for a two year ban on Valverde.
Initially, this will only be for Italy, but quite possibly, the UCI will extend the suspension, worldwide.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/010420...g-offence.html
Old 04-01-09, 13:57

Excellent, this will put an end to his ridiculous denials.

It's a shame it took a Spanish judge to go on holiday for the Italians to get the DNA profile. In other words, random events conspired to bring justice.

Sadly though it seems only those who banked blood with Fuentes will ever face punishment. Documents show the Spanish doctor was overseeing extensive doping programes with EPO, CERA, IGF, HGH for other riders but there is obviously no DNA proof for this.
Old 04-01-09, 13:57

It's about time!

Does the Tour go through Italy this year? Contador may want to avoid that route since he was a Puerto guy too even though Spain cleared him (all of their riders are clean ).
Old 04-01-09, 13:58
Banned

I Piti the fool.
Old 04-01-09, 14:04

Fookin UCI....once again abdicating their role.

So why does it take the ITALIANS to request a ban of a SPANISH rider?

Un-fookin-real.

OP was been screwed up from day one.....
Old 04-01-09, 15:01

Unfortunately, I believe that the OP investigation set cycling up as the fall guy to divert attention from the other, some would say more prominent sports, individuals and teams that have more to lose than cyclists.

Tennis, football and motor sports have all been implicated in OP but no investigation has been opened by the Spanish governing bodies of these sports or by their judiciary.

Now, some people are going to take offence at the above paragraph claiming that these sports are whiter than white but I make no apology. After all, both Italian and Dutch football have had their doping scandals - why should ANY other country be excluded?

Last edited by LugHugger; 04-01-09 at 15:02. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-01-09, 15:16

Only those who banked blood with Fuentes are getting the heat.

As I've said in another thread on here, the cyclists who had doping programmes from Fuentes but without blood in the fridge have got away with no bans, just like footballers and athletes. A DNA match ensures a conviction but paperwork mentioning extensive doping programmes (EPO, IGF-1, HGH etc) for Contador, LL Sanchez or Allan Davis is not strong enough evidence for conviction.

The discrimination therefore is not by sport but by doping method.
Old 04-01-09, 15:27

Default It is all bull

As any doping scandal in cycling, this will become another three ring circus. Valverde will appeal whatever decision is made by the CONI. If I was Valverde I would. For the suspension to stand the manner on which the blood was treated, chain of command, etc must be crystal clear. He will have some sort of argument like his twin brother never developed on his mother's uterus, or that his testosterone was high because he drank whiskey the night before.
Cycling is nothing but a three ring circus, a show, where all the riders are just clowns?we are just being entertained?
Old 04-01-09, 15:35

I see we replied to eachothers thread. That paperwork is doing the rounds.
Worldwide ban should follow, given what has been posted elsewhere....
Old 04-01-09, 16:12

Makes me sad. I like Valverde a lot, and I've always enjoyed his exciting finishes.

As for the "innocent until..." crowd: we'll have see how this plays out, but I don't think things look good for Valverde. Allegations at this level have a nasty habit of being based on actionable evidence. This isn't just some journalist trying to sell books...