Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 07-29-09, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Go Round and Round View Post
then why didn't AC say anything to the other team mates that helped him win? Because that jack@ss said he could win it by himself.

Can't wait to see how his team treats him next yr
How do you know this? Are you basing this solely on Lance and his fellow travelers' twits? He acknowledges Lance's role in this Tour in the initial statement. I would presume that his teammates were thanked at the dinner Saturday night, but that's just a supposition on my part. Lance, being the consummate teammate, didn't celebrate with the team so maybe he's just in the dark.

So please enlighten us as to how you make this unqualified statement.
Old 07-29-09, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
This is the article with Contadors press conference translated from Spanish to English by someone who speaks Spanish - that 'Publicus' was referring too.

http://www.steephill.tv/2009/entries...ws-conference/
Thanks Dr. Maserati (btw, love the avatar. Every time I see it, I hear the characters voice )
Old 07-29-09, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
Obviously this non-troversy has probably consumed far more of our collective time than is truly warranted, but I went back and read the full translated quote after someone posted a link in another thread. I found one passage that hasn't really been discussed, with the focus mainly on the perceived "blasting" and Lance's twits.

Here's the quote:

Maybe I'm reading too much into that single underlined phrase, but that certainly SEEMS like an acknowledgement of Lance's efforts as a teammate. Not a pure "thanks," but one cannot seriously argue that he did not acknowledge Lance's role in his victory this year. Which brings me back to Lance's original tweets:

and

Neither of these tweets actually makes any sense in light of Contador's actual statement. He's acknowledged Lance's role in this year's victory, which is the only thing Lance seemed concerned about.

I'd be interested to get the perspective of 95rpm, Mambo#5, Scott SoCal and any other stalwart Lance defender to explain (and frankly defend) Lance's twits in light of the above statement.

Good luck with that!
Old 07-29-09, 14:25

Lance has a bit of a history of ****ing matches with teammates, ex-teammates, other riders, ex-riders. That doesn't mean that he started them or is responsible, but anyone who's followed the sport knows about them. I wonder if other riders (non-US, non-Lance friends) sort of sigh and think "here we go again".
Old 07-29-09, 14:36

Quote:
Obviously this non-troversy has probably consumed far more of our collective time than is truly warranted, but I went back and read the full translated quote after someone posted a link in another thread. I found one passage that hasn't really been discussed, with the focus mainly on the perceived "blasting" and Lance's twits.

Here's the quote:
Quote:
My relationship with Lance is zero. Independently of his character, he's a great champion. He's won seven tours and played a big role in this one. But it's different when we speak on a personal level. I have never really admired him that much, or ever will. But as a cyclist he's a great champion.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that single underlined phrase, but that certainly SEEMS like an acknowledgement of Lance's efforts as a teammate. Not a pure "thanks," but one cannot seriously argue that he did not acknowledge Lance's role in his victory this year.
First of all, all the comments about Alberto not thanking the team are in reference to Alberto never thanking the team at any point (something that has been out there at least 24 hours now and still not corrected or denied so is more and more likely to be true), not just in this press conference he made in Spain. Even if he thanked them publicly after he left France, that's not really thanking them.

As to this comment, it's not thanking the team at all, as it only references Lance. Equally important, in the given context ("won seven tours and ...") the "played a big role" clause refers to him getting 3rd place, and says nothing about his role, much less anyone else's, in helping AC achieve his win.

So, yeah, you are reading too much into that phrase, it is not an acknowledgment of Lance's efforts as a teammate, and one can seriously argue that AC has never acknowledged LA's or any other team member's role in AC's victory this year. Apparently, this guy is a huge a$$ even by LA standards!

Quote:
Which brings me back to Lance's original tweets:

Quote:
Seeing these comments from AC. If I were him I'd drop this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win.
and

Quote:
hey pistolero, there is no "i" in "team". what did i say in March? Lots to learn. Restated.
Neither of these tweets actually makes any sense in light of Contador's actual statement. He's acknowledged Lance's role in this year's victory, which is the only thing Lance seemed concerned about.
LA's tweets make perfect sense in the light of AC's actual statement. AC's comments don't acknowledge Lance's role in this year's victory, nor any other team member's role, which IS what Lance (and Eki, Wilcockson, JB, etc.) are talking about.

Quote:
I'd be interested to get the perspective of 95rpm, Mambo#5, Scott SoCal and any other stalwart Lance defender to explain (and frankly defend) Lance's twits in light of the above statement.
I'm not a stalwart defender of Lance or anyone else.
I am a stalwart defender of logic, reason, objectivity, justice and fairness, which is why I responded to refute this ridiculous argument.
Old 07-29-09, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm View Post
I am a stalwart defender of logic, reason, objectivity, justice and fairness,
LOL, Everyone thinks they are

Both sides are human beings and fallible; so why aren't you listing the pluses and minuses of both sides.

No one comes out well in this. Taking one side or the other seems a little irrational/dogmatic.
Old 07-29-09, 14:58
Banned

Quote:
I am a stalwart defender of logic, reason, objectivity, justice and fairness, which is why I responded to refute this ridiculous argument.
Thats great to know - could you have a crack at this one.

lancearmstrong hey pistolero, there is no "i" in "team". what did i say in March? Lots to learn. Restated.
Old 07-29-09, 14:59
Scott SoCal

Quote:
First of all, all the comments about Alberto not thanking the team are in reference to Alberto never thanking the team at any point (something that has been out there at least 24 hours now and still not corrected or denied so is more and more likely to be true), not just in this press conference he made in Spain. Even if he thanked them publicly after he left France, that's not really thanking them.

As to this comment, it's not thanking the team at all, as it only references Lance. Equally important, in the given context ("won seven tours and ...") the "played a big role" clause refers to him getting 3rd place, and says nothing about his role, much less anyone else's, in helping AC achieve his win.

So, yeah, you are reading too much into that phrase, it is not an acknowledgment of Lance's efforts as a teammate, and one can seriously argue that AC has never acknowledged LA's or any other team member's role in AC's victory this year. Apparently, this guy is a huge a$$ even by LA standards!

LA's tweets make perfect sense in the light of AC's actual statement. AC's comments don't acknowledge Lance's role in this year's victory, nor any other team member's role, which IS what Lance (and Eki, Wilcockson, JB, etc.) are talking about.

I completely agree. I'll admit I was rooting for Lance. 37, 3+ years out of competition, he's younger than me but gives me some perspective of what may be possible for an average masters bike racer/husband/business owner, etc. So in that vein I will say that I'm not the MOST objective observer out there BUT, I also race my bike. I have been for 20+ years. I've been fascinated with the TdF since the LeMond/Hinault saga. I go to Belgium in the spring to ride and watch Flanders/Ghent/Roubaix. All this does not necessarily make me an expert on anything but I still reserve the right to observe.

All that said I think Lance is acting over-the-top, no doubt. Why provide motivation to someone as talented as el pistolero? Makes no sense.

HOWEVER, if I'm el pistlero, I too am keeping my mouth shut as there is no cyclist that has ever been better than LA at making up sh!t to be mad about and using it as motivation to throttle his opponents.

One last thing. If LA wins next year, or anyone other than el pistolero, it will be because of his (AC) lack of race tactics, lack of discipline, lack of team cohesion, lack of team depth and lack of a savvy DS. All of which he apparently thinks he does not need.
Old 07-29-09, 15:01

I cannot believe the bunch of lyers in Astana. We all know how close Eki is from LA, so Eki trusts his friend...

Well, here a valuable document by Haimar Zubeldia today in Basque press, a rider who goes with Radio Shack, he says today:

Haimar Zubeldia says:
A estas alturas, lo que diga yo de Contador sólo va a servir para afirmar lo bueno que es. Cada carrera que estoy con él alucino más. En Contador todo es bueno. En la montaña no tiene rival. En Verbier me sorprendió el tiempo que sacó en los seis kilómetros finales. Al terminar las etapas iba habitación por habitación para darte las gracias por el trabajo

This means that at the end of each stage Contador was going room after room giving thanks to teammates

full link: http://www.diariovasco.com/20090729/...-20090729.html
Old 07-29-09, 15:08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
I cannot believe the bunch of lyers in Astana. We all know how close Eki is from LA, so Eki trusts his friend...

Well, here a valuable document by Haimar Zubeldia today in Basque press, a rider who goes with Radio Shack, he says today:

Haimar Zubeldia says:
A estas alturas, lo que diga yo de Contador sólo va a servir para afirmar lo bueno que es. Cada carrera que estoy con él alucino más. En Contador todo es bueno. En la montaña no tiene rival. En Verbier me sorprendió el tiempo que sacó en los seis kilómetros finales. Al terminar las etapas iba habitación por habitación para darte las gracias por el trabajo

This means that at the end of each stage Contador was going room after room giving thanks to teammates

full link: http://www.diariovasco.com/20090729/...-20090729.html
You are missing the point here - unless Zubeldia twitters it then it is not true.