Real performance gains and modelling - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 10-12-11, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
If you actually knew anything about the race you wouldn't have bothered to waste the bandwidth with that question. The race, of course, has a history and that issue was dealt with several years ago. You, of course, know what you know. Perhaps you should refrain from posting about stuff you don't (which seems to be plenty).
Like some who post about the demands in crits and track racing perhaps?
Old 10-12-11, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
Like some who post about the demands in crits and track racing perhaps?
The whole point of asking the question was missed in the first place. Comes back to the difference between results and performances. In Kona results in the women's and age group sections results can be affected by other competitors on the course. Same as the Marathon. Hence the Woman's WR in Marathon can only be set in Woman's only racing.

How does one prepare for an event if you don't understand the demands of the event?

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 10-12-11, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
The whole point of asking the question was missed in the first place. Comes back to the difference between results and performances. In Kona results in the women's and age group sections results can be affected by other competitors on the course. Same as the Marathon. Hence the Woman's WR in Marathon can only be set in Woman's only racing.

How does one prepare for an event if you don't understand the demands of the event?
Fergie, a few years back they changed the start for the pros to 15 then 30 minutes ahead of the age groupers. This was because the better women swimmers thought it was "unfair" that the slower women pros in the swim could get a draft off of the fast age-group men on the bike. Plus some of the women were getting beat to a pulp by some of the more aggressive age-group men trying to get the glory of being first out of the water.

On multi-loop courses (Kona is not a multi-loop course) it also affects all the pros as they find themselves having to weave through slower bikers and runners later in the race.

Anyhow, Ironman triathlon has traditionally raced men and women together (ITU is a different story) on the same course and same time as the age-groupers. So, a WR is what they say it is, not what you think it should be.
Old 10-12-11, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
So, a WR is what they say it is, not what you think it should be.
And I have no issue with that. Marathon has different rules.

There will be different demands on the day for the top men competing at the head of the race as the women with the slower men and age group athletes.

This makes comparison of times, especially from year to year, less effective as a performance measure.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 10-22-11, 21:32

3 examples of how my power meter earns it's keep...

1. Did a MAP test and after a winter of study and coaching the form is pretty average. Compared to my recent (last 6 years) PB of 366 watts I am sitting at 309 watts. In that test 3 years ago leading into NZ track nationals I achieved a maximal heart rate of 195bpm and yesterday got up to 197bpm. So increased heart rate doesn't equal increased power.

2. While I am testing a Power2Max power meter for the Oceania Supplier I have loaned my Powertap to a friend. She tried training with by heart rate but didn't find it that effective (heart rate lag on shorter efforts and cardiac drift on longer efforts), she tried training by feel but has nothing to judge what she is meant to be feeling. She will use the Powertap for a few rides to calibrate what she is meant to experience at different training levels.

3. I coach a rider who wins everything. If I go by results how do I quantify improvements if he always places first. Times are affected by the competition and environment. Judging how much he beats the competition by is problematic if they have other goals, are in different training phases or just simply gave up when they knew they couldn't win. Via the power meter testing I know he is making real progress.