fake Pinarello Dogma? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-26-11, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Serious View Post
Ah, right. Did some enterprising Asian dudes slip a mold out the back door and start making cheapies?
OK, so this is where I get confused (serious question - civil answers only please). I thought the anti-Pinarello/Colnago/etc brigade here argue "why spend $5k on a frame when you can get the same frame OEM for $500" / "they all come from the same mold in China"? If that is so, why does this obviously fake Dogma have a round seat-tube? Surely our Chinese OEM friends would use the same Pina mold with the shaped round tube?

Maybe there are both hopeless fakes like this as well as genuine OEM Pinarellos to be had for $500? Anyone got a link to the latter?
Old 11-26-11, 16:04

I checked the pinarello site and the Dogma on the splash page has a round seat tube. The pinarello dogma in the last page of Babes on Bikes has a round seat tube. You might miss the photo as there is a beautiful cyclist in the foreground. All the Pinarellos I have seen locally have round seat tubes but none is a Dogma.
The lack of a round tube is a red herring since it is obvious they are round. I thought someone might check a little earlier.
Several posts in this thread refer to the round seat tube but no one checks to see if it is true. Maybe it is a fake but lug hugger you did not really check did you?

DOGMAS HAVE ROUND SEAT TUBES.

Last edited by Master50; 11-26-11 at 16:14.
Old 11-26-11, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post

Clearly. /facepalm
Old 11-26-11, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
I checked the pinarello site and the Dogma on the splash page has a round seat tube. The pinarello dogma in the last page of Babes on Bikes has a round seat tube. You might miss the photo as there is a beautiful cyclist in the foreground. All the Pinarellos I have seen locally have round seat tubes but none is a Dogma.
The lack of a round tube is a red herring since it is obvious they are round. I thought someone might check a little earlier.
Several posts in this thread refer to the round seat tube but no one checks to see if it is true. Maybe it is a fake but lug hugger you did not really check did you?

FAKE dogma's have round seat tubes. I didn't need to check, I know I'm right. I suggest that you refer again to Pinarello's own site paying attention this time. Then apologise.

Last edited by LugHugger; 11-26-11 at 21:12.
Old 11-26-11, 21:27

Dogma's DO NOT have a round seat tube. HOWEVER, the Paris and FP series DO. It seems that the better made Chinese Pinarello's are a direct copy of the FP series or even the Paris, it's very hard to tell simply from E-Bay photos.

I'd still be reluctant to buy one unless I had some background knowledge of the frame builder. If you know for sure that the frame and fork are well made though, then go for it.
Old 11-26-11, 21:49
Super Moderator

Fake Dogmas have round seat tubes, go to a Pinarello dealer and have a look. Anyone who buys this crap off ebay is a total idiot, it's almost worse than buying a fake Rolex from the guy on the street corner. If your fake Rolex breaks it can't injure or kill you. Think about it.
Old 11-26-11, 21:49

Whoa

Where the hell did that link take me??? I am finding a very large foot in my mouth and it looks like mine. I just clicked on one of the links and did not go to an ebay auction I have been arguing about. !!!! I went to a site that had a lot of Chinarello frames in basic black and backward forks. I see the round seat tubes that don't look anything like the round seat tubes on real Dogmas. See! I am still calling them round. at Least from 10 feet and in photos taken from the side they are round.
I am in the Twilight Zone, And have my tail between my legs on this one Sorry.

Last edited by Master50; 11-26-11 at 21:59.
Old 11-26-11, 21:59

OK, let's be friends again!

Last edited by LugHugger; 11-26-11 at 22:05.