World Politics - Page 1254 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 03-01-12, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
maybe you should take his advice
lol nice one
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 03-16-12, 07:09

Default now vs. the good ol' days

Is politics more corrupt and shameless now than it was "then," in the good ol' days? I'm not sure why, though I suspect it has to do w/ no longer being so completely consumed by cycling and as a result spending even more time consuming the "content" that I've always found interesting (Economist, op/ed in many of the major US dailies, Financial Times, etc), but it seems like in the past 10+ years (since 9/11, and since I started reading Glenn Greenwald) that politics in the USA especially has become so driven by cynicism and corruption and outright lying, self-interested, semi-delusional behavior that the few "good" leaders we have who dare to vote their conscience or otherwise not accept uncritically every component of their party's platform are branded as loonies or nutjobs (see "Dennis Kucinich and 'wackiness'") while a President who assumes the singular power to assassinate US citizens w/o due process is awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

It's better that I just quote Greenwald:

"So let’s recap the state of mental health in establishment Democratic circles: the President who claims (and exercises) the power to target American citizens for execution-by-CIA in total secrecy and with no charges — as well as those who dutifully follow him — are sane, sober and Serious, meriting great respect. By contrast, one of the very few members of Congress who stands up and vehemently objects to this most radical power — “The idea that the United States has the ability to summarily execute a US citizen ought to send chills racing up and down the spines of every person of conscience” — is a total wackjob, meriting patronizing mockery."

I dunno, but it just leaves me despairing of any future for this country (USA) as anything other than a plutocratic cube-farm slash police state. I certainly didn't feel like this in 2000 when I was doing a graduate fellowship in gov't/public policy at CMU.

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Old 03-16-12, 15:42

I feel your pain, Joe. Watch the movie "Fair Game" then tell us what you think.
Old 03-16-12, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuck View Post
I feel your pain, Joe. Watch the movie "Fair Game" then tell us what you think.
DL'd it...

I think both political parties suck, though. Just to be clear.

Love The Daily Show's satire of US Congress's cutting of funding to UNESCO ...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...march-15-2012-

argh this world is retarded at times, it seems.

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Old 03-17-12, 02:38

Julian Assange has revealed he will run for a seat in the Australian Senate next year while on house arrest in the UK. Wikileaks are also fielding a candidate in Julia Gillard's seat of Lalor.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 03-19-12, 10:14

France shooting: Four die in Toulouse Jewish school attack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...13#TWEET106950
Old 03-22-12, 12:11

On the Apparent Coup in Mali
http://sahelblog.wordpress.com/2012/...-coup-in-mali/
Old 03-29-12, 13:02
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam_Olyas View Post
Interesting blog. Apparently the AU or ECOWAS has peacekeepers on standby and they are currently negotiating how to resolve this constitutional crisis. Good to see the regional organizations are taking immediate action and are stepping up their efforts to contain the spread of further violence.

On a different note, US politics:

[112th] H.R.4268 : To abolish the Export-Import Bank of the United States, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Amash, Justin [MI-3] (introduced 3/27/2012) Cosponsors (2)
Committees: House Financial Services

today's news:

Business Bets on the G.O.P. May Be Backfiring

Quote:
Exports have been one of the bright spots of the fragile recovery, but without Export-Import Bank financing, companies could struggle to complete contracts with overseas buyers. Those buyers will most likely turn to foreign competitors whose governments have more robust versions of the bank, businesspeople say.
[...]
“There’s not a bank in the United States that’s going to loan money to that customer of mine in Argentina to buy my airplane,” said David Ickert, vice president of finance at Air Tractor, which makes crop-dusting and firefighting airplanes in Olney, Tex. “There is not a free-market system that operates like that. It does not exist. We need the Ex-Im Bank, period.”
[...]
The bank is financed with a small percentage of each loan it makes to foreign buyers of American exports, producing $3.4 billion in profits for the federal government over the last five years.
Old 03-30-12, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Well it looks like George Galloway will be elected as an MP for Bradford West and will return to Westminster. He just said on Sky he is here for the long term. I remember when he beat Oona King the last time in the 2005 general election and he was accused afterwards of lacking commitment in his role as an MP. He even went into Celebrity Big Brother while he was still a sitting MP.

He obviously must of done well with the muslim vote as muslims make up 38% of the population there.
Galloway goes around Britain looking for heavily divided communities where he can exploit racial tensions to get a victory.

He really is a remarkable man.

He describes the fall of the berlin wall as the "worst day of my life":

He claims that reports by human rights watch groups and Amnsesty international that say that homosexuals are executed in Iran are western propaganda.

He said the elections there were fair and reports that they were not, well western propaganda of course.

He says that Assads regime is a "breath of fresh air" " the last castle of the Arab dignity and the Arab rights"

While in Damascus to praise Assad, he praised the "heroic" 145 operations by a branch of of Al quaeda in iraq which included the Canal hotel bombing, which took place to kill, one of my personal heroes Sergio Viera de Mello

When asked if he would describe himself as a stalinist, he said he would if it was not " making a rod for my own back"

To Saddam he said publicly “Sir, I salute your courage, your strength your indefatigability! And I want you to know that we are with you until victory!" He informed Saddam that he was loved by everyone in the west, and will be remembered for centuries, long after the western politicians would be forgotten.

Privately he met with Saddam regularly throughout the 90's and received large ammounts of money from him. This was alleged by among others Tariq Aziz. Galloway denied this strongly, only a few years later this video came out which showed he was on first name terms with Uday Hussein, who even noted that george had lost weight since his last visit.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=287_1290472133

His election doesn't mean much. He failed greatly as mp for bethnal green so couldn't stand for reelection, as he had in his previous post (why he had to move in the first place). He had one of the lowest voting records in parliament and as his reality tv appearance showed, didn't really care for the job.

His voice in parliament will mean nothing
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 03-30-12 at 01:08.
Old 04-03-12, 13:01
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

1:0 for liberty and freedom

Supreme Court Ruling Allows Strip-Searches for Any Arrest

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday ruled by a 5-to-4 vote that officials may strip-search people arrested for any offense, however minor, before admitting them to jails even if the officials have no reason to suspect the presence of contraband.
I am glad those law enforcement 'offcials' graduated top of their class, are extremely well qualified to make such decisions and will certainly not abuse these new, unfettered powers.

No way we can use those TSA full body scanners (none of the images will be saved on a database forever) instead?