Alcohol - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 04-05-12, 20:38

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Booze hounds just need more carbs. Alcohol is a refined sugar. Drink fruit juice and hammer that. Then wake up strong the next day and hammer on the bike.

I aint drank since July 2001. Not a drop. I smash the fruit juice. Smash in the low fat carbs.

Alcohol kills red blood cells. Look it up. Booze to a cyclist is like wearing a flappy XXXL jersey in a TT.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 04-07-12, 05:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Booze hounds just need more carbs. Alcohol is a refined sugar. Drink fruit juice and hammer that. Then wake up strong the next day and hammer on the bike.

I aint drank since July 2001. Not a drop. I smash the fruit juice. Smash in the low fat carbs.

Alcohol kills red blood cells. Look it up. Booze to a cyclist is like wearing a flappy XXXL jersey in a TT.

however to anyone who has come to know you it is quite clear you used to drink quite a bit mate just sayn
Old 04-11-12, 09:58
Editor-in-chief

Alcohol is a strict no no for athletes and sportsmen. And yes it hampers your cycling too. My cousin used to be a drinker but he was determined to quit it anyhow and he did that too.
Old 04-24-12, 16:54

2 early crashes and my lack of desire to regain form knowing the pain gain trade off this season now after so much pain has me back on the grog and single malt. doesnt do much for wright loss. recovery. But allow me to suggest it captures the spirit of the ride and I am having a lot more fun on the bike again. for what that is worth. I'm just spinning on the road and cruising on the mtn bike. slow but aggressive and pounding beers after select rides. i've got nothing to prove. and my sponsor wont return my calls or me his.
Old 04-28-12, 07:26

Over a month without a drop.

The juice tip is a good one. For the price of one large bottle of beer, I can drink a gourmet juice/smoothie, know it's doing me good, and not feel like anymore afterwards.

was your last post after a few boeing? has that tipsy tinge
Old 05-28-12, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljimberino View Post

. . .
Good on ya! Lots of good responses here. Getting people involved is a big step in the right direction. AA provides instant listeners - and there are other groups and people who can be there for ya. I've never had the blackout thingie - but I hear ya about the beer - it's like the ad "can't have just one". So, I have to do without.

Alcohol is a mood enhancer and pain killer. It chemically helps you feel happy, and reduces pain. If that is why you drink, finding friends, and taking good care of existing friends, can help with those things. If you can't leave the alcohol after 2 or 3 drinks, then you have to leave it entirely out.

Feeling happy is also something that bicycling helps with - exercise does the same thing as the alcohol - it changes physical things in your body that make you happier. It just takes a bit longer.

Be strong, say a prayer to whomever you are willing to pray to, and do it regularly. Some folks will feel strongly about the who - but I think it is important to just do it, just like the getting out and riding, and I don't think it matters who you pray to. Find ways to be with people who AREN'T drinking, and good luck.
Old 07-29-12, 23:06

I work in the CBD. As I leave my building I pass a few bars and nightclubs that are usually starting to fill up with fat red faced people as I leave. I say to myself I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting in there drink'n the night away.

I ride through the beautiful botanical gardens, work my way along the river, sometimes take in the local mountain with views over the city and out to the bay and I am so appreciative to be fit and healthy enough to experience this. I pass a few more bars filled with people who can only enjoy themselves with a glass of alcohol welded to their hand and I really feel sorry for what they are missing out on.
Old 07-30-12, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Good on ya! Lots of good responses here. Getting people involved is a big step in the right direction. AA provides instant listeners - and there are other groups and people who can be there for ya.
+1000 to this. Doing it alone is possible, but the AA process is very successful partially because it's a community.

Best of luck any way you decide to manage the issue.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 07-30-12, 13:19

Default Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljimberino View Post

The juice tip is a good one. For the price of one large bottle of beer, I can drink a gourmet juice/smoothie, know it's doing me good, and not feel like anymore afterwards.

was your last post after a few boeing? has that tipsy tinge
remember: you don't stop being an alcoholic just because you stop drinking.