Road & MTB season (Crossers) 2012 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 03-01-12, 22:24

Default Road & MTB season (Crossers) 2012

OK so apparently Chainel did not finish Kuurne (he was on the list though).

Boom, Trentin and Labbe all crashed on the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad/Het Volk/Ghent-Ghent/Omloop van Vlaanderen.

But at Fayt-le-Franc / Le Samyn :

69 Steve Chainel (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat

With 10 km to go on the last ascent of the Côte de la Roquette (not too steep, soft cobbles) Steve was in a breakaway with some 5 riders (Fuglsang among others) but unfortunately he could not take his share of the workload since he had his sprinters behind, and so one of 'em (Démare) won.

I'd like to note that Matteo Trentin finished 10th but I think he definitely chose for road by now.

I'd also like to start a separate thread about the Belgacom GP that will start on April 28 in Stoumont, since it's now become a mixed Challenge (MTB/Cyclocross). I think it can belong here.
Old 03-05-12, 18:14

Mellow Johnny's Classic - Dripping Spring, Texas (MTB)

2 Geoff Kabush
3 Todd Wells

"It was so fast. Kabush was just flying on the fast singletrack and the technical sections." said Wells.

In Paris-Nice, Arnold Jeannesson got the right breakaway in the "waaiers" and has a shot at a top10 rank in the final ranking.

I still have to mention him in this thread since he's still raced a dozen cyclocrosses, last winter, defeating Gadret in Lanarvily, among other good results in France.

Casar, Roy and many other French roadies are also crossing over in their free time.
Old 03-07-12, 17:48

Danny Summerhill, 10th at the Lillers GP (1.2) last Sunday.

I thought he contracted with Garmin?
Old 03-19-12, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Danny Summerhill, 10th at the Lillers GP (1.2) last Sunday.

I thought he contracted with Garmin?
He rode some races with them in the second-half of 2011, but they didn't hire him for the ProTour team for 2012. I guess he's still on their development team though.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 03-22-12, 15:19

83 Sven Nys (Bel) 0:16:34 He finished on the lead lap in Pietermaritzburg 2012. It would be great to see him in the Olympics.

[edit] what was I thinking Sylvain Chavanel raced 'cross? Oh well....

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 03-26-12 at 17:12.
Old 03-24-12, 11:37

Exact for Summerhill. He still rides for the Chipottle Development team. I thought that his good results in Colorado would have offered him a contract though.

I didn't remember Chavanel crossed over (except maybe a handful of them for fun). What were his best performances?

Nys targeted a top60 rank in Pietermaritzburg, in order to get a better start position. That was missed but he still has his chance for an Olympic selection.

Some other crossers in South Africa:

9 Marco Aurelio Fontana
37 Geoff Kabush
49 Marek Konwa
50 Julien Taramarcaz (Swiss Champion cyclocross)

(On another note, weird to see JC Peraud back to mtb)

Chainel is 35th in the Nokere Koerse and 80th in Milan-Sanremo. He didn't reiterate his great performance from last year.

Oh and I'd like to note Jelle Wallays' great performance in Dwars door Vlaanderen (ex Dwars door België). He was the last to hold Terpstra's wheel. He's not a crosser but raced a few of them last winter, notably the Belgian nats which he finished 16th and dead last.

Last edited by Echoes; 03-24-12 at 11:40.
Old 03-26-12, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I didn't remember Chavanel crossed over (except maybe a handful of them for fun). What were his best performances?
I was not thinking straight when I posted that. Though, I was convinced at the time he did!

Old 03-30-12, 11:10

It's very much possible, you know. Those French are often crossing in winter for fun.

Anyway, Chainel was an excellent 8th in Ghent-Wevelgem (wearing a black ribbon, in memory of the victims of the shooting in Toulouse, I guess) and 31st in the Three Days of De Panne (including of 5th spot in the rush classification). He's in a very good shape.

In the stage to Koksijde, you could see him at the front of the peloton, smiling and pointing his finger towards the dune on the left, remembering where the Cross Worlds were held. Very nice !
Old 04-09-12, 16:31

Steve Chainel was 32nd at the Tour of Flanders, 111th at the Schelde GP and an excellent 13th at Paris-Roubaix, though very discrete.

Lars Boom did a great Paris-Roubaix and finished 6th. Despite a mechanical at the end, he attacked on the Carrefour de l'Arbre but finished with nothing left in the tank.

Both riders used their cyclocross bikes for Paris-Roubaix, as usual now.

Oh and I forgot Christoph Pfingsten, 21st of the Tour of Cologne

Last edited by Echoes; 04-09-12 at 16:44.
Old 04-16-12, 05:01

Default Nys at Houffalize

Sven Nys (Bel) finished 33rd (-6:20 to winner) and looks like the top-placed Belgian by a long way. I don't know what the selection criteria are, but my wild(!) guess is he's got to do well through May to make the Olympic team.

Julie Bresset, 2nd!
Georgia Gould occasionally does 'cross at -3:35 to winner.
Lucie Chainel-Lefevre (talk about cycling royalty) -7:25 down to her winner. 2012 French 'cross champion
Katie Compton -9:04

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 04-16-12 at 05:12.