U.S. Politics - Page 245 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 04-10-12, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
So we are just like the drunk guy on the street who is too bottled with alcohol to care about his own obsteterious gout?
You feel differently? A speaker I heard a couple of months back characterized US driven financial policy and planning as a massive incontinent baby careening through its play space. In terms of its ultimate social effects for those unable or unwilling to pursue narrow self interest.

Last edited by aphronesis; 04-10-12 at 22:05.
Old 04-10-12, 21:33

Santorum out! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1415372.html
Old 04-10-12, 22:09

Huge news.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 04-10-12, 22:16

Shame we wont see the April and May primaries.

Wonder what Santorum was offered.

What will Gingrich do. Stay in and hope to win Lousiana. Even though nomination is over it could be an important primary for Romney. If he loses people will say even as nominee many dont want him. If he wins it will be a boost,

Also interesting to see how the polls reflect this over the coming days. Romney might get a small boost but those republicans who don't like him want be choosing him just yet i dont think.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 04-10-12, 22:22

Damn, there went my dream ticket.

I would imagine that his well ran completely dry, and there was nobody mad enough to throw more millions at him. This does make the rest of the primaries very boring, though.
Old 04-10-12, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Damn, there went my dream ticket.
Santorum would have to have been a special kind of stupid if he didn't phone Romney up in the last few days and try to bluff him into getting some position.
Old 04-10-12, 23:15

Send a message via ICQ to Rechtschreibfehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Santorum would have to have been a special kind of stupid if he didn't phone Romney up in the last few days and try to bluff him into getting some position.
It does depand on how he want's to procede doesn't it? If he wants to embrace himself as an right-wing extremist maybe he doesn't want to be assaciated to closely to Romney, because it can't be told how he'll fight his campaign from now on. Wouldn't it be likely for him to turn away from the madmen and try go back closer to the centre (if there is such a thing in the US)? Perhaps Santorum will try to be anti Obama but also somehwhat "independet" lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
This does make the rest of the primaries very boring, though.
But isn't it sad that one really comes up with that kind of thought? I mean, if this was even looking to functioning like a democracy should function, entertainement wouldn't be a factor we'd consider at all.

Last edited by Rechtschreibfehler; 04-10-12 at 23:19.
Old 04-10-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechtschreibfehler View Post
It does depand on how he want's to procede doesn't it? If he wants to embrace himself as an right-wing extremist maybe he doesn't want to be assaciated to closely to Romney, because it can't be told how he'll fight his campaign from now on. Wouldn't it be likely for him to turn away from the madmen and try go back closer to the centre (if there is such a thing in the US)? Perhaps Santorum will try to be anti Obama but also somehwhat "independet" lunatic.

I don't see where else Santorum goes from here. His home state Pensylvania, he was lucky to win a state election there once and ended up losing it by 18% in the biggest defeat for a sitting senator since Jimmy Carter was president.

Hes just not going to become a senator or governor there and i doubt he wants to be a congressman.

nationally his chances of becoming president next time are slim. The Republicans do often give it to the guy who came 2nd last time but not always and the republicans have far stronger candidadtes next time.

Hes also unelectable so again dont see him getting the nomination.

And what is being an anti obama going to bring him if he cant actualy get any power. A tv show on fox like Palin or Huckabee. Not that glamerous.

Santorums best hope at any bright future political career is through Romney. I doubt he could have got a vp bit out of Romney but very possible a cabinet position
Old 04-11-12, 01:20

Send a message via ICQ to Rechtschreibfehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Santorums best hope at any bright future political career is through Romney. I doubt he could have got a vp bit out of Romney but very possible a cabinet position
I do agree, but I'm not sure if that's what he was or is after actually. I mean you don't take Santorums positions without some faith in it. I could imagine that he'd try things that are doomed to be unsucessfull. And in his mind-set this might as well be the most logic choice to take. Basically I just don't belive that people run for anything just because they want a position. Even though the very existance of Angela Merkel does challange my view.
Old 04-11-12, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechtschreibfehler View Post
Basically I just don't belive that people run for anything just because they want a position.
What in the US? You mad? Its all about the position.
Someone like Nader or Ron Paul, they run because they want to further their cause, but the real big guns who run for the nominations of the parties, they dont care about anything but the position.. Especially the finalists for this years 1 on 1. Romney and Obama. these guys are politicos through and through.

Last edited by The Hitch; 04-11-12 at 01:48.