Perceptions of a Doper. Part 1 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-12, 12:54
veganrob's Avatar
veganrob veganrob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The D
Posts: 1,714
Default Perceptions of a Doper. Part 1

Read this from VN about Brandon Dwight founder of Dopers Suck. Wow, how counterfeit, Is he a Trek dealer or just a hypocrtite?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-part-i_213374


Brandon Dwight
Bike Shop Owner, Founder Dopers Suck
When Filip Meirhaeghe was popped in 2004, Brandon Dwight had seen enough. As a former pro, he’d suffered at the pace set by the cheating Belgian. Dwight launched Dopers Suck, a line of apparel emblazoned with anti-doping messages. It was his way of giving the middle finger to Meirhaeghe and others like him.

“For me personally, anyone who cheats to get ahead is just a bad person. I don’t like dishonest people. At the same time I do think everyone deserves a second chance, but there is a part of me that will always have feelings of doubt.”

“With Lance, I think he’s just too big to fail. As a cyclist and a bike shop owner, whether Lance was clean or not, I think it’s better for everyone that he didn’t get in trouble.”
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-12, 13:35
Cloxxki Cloxxki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Contador, Vino and Valverde are the worst. They are just a set of creeps. Di Luca is probably the guy I despise most. These guys just try to pull the wool over your eyes and try to insult your intelligence and have no respect for you as fans.
One is worse still. Building empire on a self-created air of cleanliness, wrapped up as a brand disguised as a wonderful charity. A for-profit cult using the lie as a foundation and sales pitch.

I agree with above though, you can't have it both ways, hate dopers and agree to let Armstrong slide.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-12, 15:46
Nilsson Nilsson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Pinotti who is very outspoken on doping should be held up as an example for the younger generation.
Pinotti outspoken? I've never heard him say anything about his own history, what he has seen around him, giving specifics about how things happen(ed), naming cheats, acting accordingly (towards those people) or speak about doping in more than just general terms...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-12, 17:02
hiero2's Avatar
hiero2 hiero2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In Descartes' reality
Posts: 2,624
Default

I have to agree with the Dwight fella - unlike other repliers who think he is misguided, or a hypocrite, for recognizing the down-side of a tarnished Lance.

I believe Lance doped, and I won't wear any of the t-shirts or hats I got back when he won and we cheered him. But I also realize Lance brought the sport a lot of favorable publicity and an increase in popularity and business. The bike shop owners are better off for Lance having won the TdF 7 times.

I still think all those TdF's should have * next to them. I would still rather Lance was outed. But I can understand, and respect, why Dwight says what he does. I do not think it makes Brandon Dwight either two-faced or unrealistic.

Last edited by hiero2; 04-19-12 at 17:06. Reason: oops - got the characters wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-12, 17:11
Caruut's Avatar
Caruut Caruut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I have to agree with the Dwight fella - unlike other repliers who think he is misguided, or a hypocrite, for recognizing the down-side of a tarnished Lance.

I believe Lance doped, and I won't wear any of the t-shirts or hats I got back when he won and we cheered him. But I also realize Lance brought the sport a lot of favorable publicity and an increase in popularity and business. The bike shop owners are better off for Lance having won the TdF 7 times.

I still think all those TdF's should have * next to them. I would still rather Lance was outed. But I can understand, and respect, why Dwight says what he does. I do not think it makes Brandon Dwight either two-faced or unrealistic.
Well, even if it's understandable or (in his mind) justifiable, it's still kind of two-faced. He is anti-doping except for when it gets in the way of his financial interests. You could have that attitude and dope yourself, for crying out loud. It also strikes me as slightly jingoistic - he's campaigning against the cheating Belgians, but doesn't care about the cheating Americans.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-12, 17:20
DirtyWorks's Avatar
DirtyWorks DirtyWorks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
But I also realize Lance brought the sport a lot of favorable publicity and an increase in popularity and business. The bike shop owners are better off for Lance having won the TdF 7 times..
You are wrong. Any growth in the industry is tied closely to improved access for cyclists (multi-use paths/dedicated lane striping) or high fuel prices.

Wonderboy did nothing for the industry. Was there more mainstream press reporting on an American cyclist? Yes. But that does not translate to bike industry revenue.
__________________
Wefunk Radio: funkify your life!
http://www.wefunkradio.com/radio/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-12, 17:32
DirtyWorks's Avatar
DirtyWorks DirtyWorks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Read this from VN...
VN is nothing more than a propaganda factory for the UCI/USAC. For example they take every single opportunity to worship both Armstrongs, Kristin and Wonderboy.

Why are you wasting your time there? Their weird editorial outlook on the sport inherited from USAC/UCI creates weird junky stories like this one.
__________________
Wefunk Radio: funkify your life!
http://www.wefunkradio.com/radio/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-12, 17:34
spetsa's Avatar
spetsa spetsa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: between a bar stool and a bike saddle
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
You are wrong. Any growth in the industry is tied closely to improved access for cyclists (multi-use paths/dedicated lane striping) or high fuel prices.

Wonderboy did nothing for the industry. Was there more mainstream press reporting on an American cyclist? Yes. But that does not translate to bike industry revenue.
So, would you agree that the increase in reporting by the mainstream media, led to a greater understanding - by the general public - what the (us) lycra clad road obstructions that they saw while driving, were actually doing, and thus leading to "improved access" (aka safety on the road) for cyclists?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-12, 18:30
MarkvW's Avatar
MarkvW MarkvW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
You are wrong. Any growth in the industry is tied closely to improved access for cyclists (multi-use paths/dedicated lane striping) or high fuel prices.

Wonderboy did nothing for the industry. Was there more mainstream press reporting on an American cyclist? Yes. But that does not translate to bike industry revenue.
No! You are wrong!!

Saying that NO growth in the industry is attributable to Lance is ridiculous.

Armstrong gets paid the megabucks because he delivers the promotional goods. Trek profited handsomely from its deal with Lance, for one huge example. And a lot of people buy the Livestrong junk. Do you think Lance commands insane appearance fees only because of fanboy adoration? He gets paid because sheep follow him! Lots of sheep! And if you don't think Lance was largely responsible for getting the TdF On US TV, you're nuts.

Heck, the perverse anti-fanboy fandom demonstrated in the Clinic is another example of just how influential Armstrong is.

You can debate Armstrong's impact (for good and evil), but you cannot reasonably deny it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-12, 18:31
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Brandon Dwight
Bike Shop Owner, Founder Dopers Suck
When Filip Meirhaeghe was popped in 2004, Brandon Dwight had seen enough. As a former pro, he’d suffered at the pace set by the cheating Belgian. Dwight launched Dopers Suck, a line of apparel emblazoned with anti-doping messages. It was his way of giving the middle finger to Meirhaeghe and others like him.

“For me personally, anyone who cheats to get ahead is just a bad person. I don’t like dishonest people. At the same time I do think everyone deserves a second chance, but there is a part of me that will always have feelings of doubt.”

“With Lance, I think he’s just too big to fail. As a cyclist and a bike shop owner, whether Lance was clean or not, I think it’s better for everyone that he didn’t get in trouble.”
One more anti-doping scammer exposed. What a deceitful muppet this guy is. There he is promoting the idea that Armstrong might have been clean while selling "Doper's Suck" gear. This d-bag should be looking for a job on Team Garmin. He would fit right in with the public relations bamboozle there.

Andreu's wishy-washy "I don't want to step on anyone's toes" position does not make him look too good either.

Last edited by BroDeal; 04-19-12 at 19:12.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.