World Number 1 - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-14-12, 09:06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climeon View Post
I read an interview with Cobo and he said that he was going to have an extremily light start to the season to try and fully peak for the tour and then be good for the Vuelta
Thanks for the info, hence Juanjo is okay and will be flying in the Tour!
Old 04-15-12, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
I think it will be pretty close between Valverde and Purito, whom I expect to occupy the two top spots.

Then we've got Boonen, Nibali, Sanchez and Sagan for the next four spots.

My prediction:

1. Valverde - 2412
2. Purito - 2268
3. Boonen - 2044
4. Sanchez - 1878
5. Nibali - 1809
6. Sagan - 1755
I predict Sagan to finish much higher than 6th. He had 348 points at this time last year and this year he has 639 points already. That is a difference of 291 points and he has not even had GD:Sardenga GC win/ any other GC win.
He could also top 5 at the Olympics/ if he goes with the group/ sprints in a good position and could top 10/ win at the WC.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 04-15-12, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
it's so ludicrous if they really plan to use cobo, the best climber in the team, as a valverde's helper. i hope movistar consider these 2 equivalent сaptains.
Yeah, cos that tactic works so well for your boys
Old 04-15-12, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
I predict Sagan to finish much higher than 6th. He had 348 points at this time last year and this year he has 639 points already. That is a difference of 291 points and he has not even had GD:Sardenga GC win/ any other GC win.
He could also top 5 at the Olympics/ if he goes with the group/ sprints in a good position and could top 10/ win at the WC.
Now that I think about it, I think you're right. He'll probably end up at 1900+ points.
Old 04-15-12, 09:48

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I think you're right. He'll probably end up at 1900+ points.
Evans will be up there, too. The Tour and the Worlds road race suit him after all. He could have his best CQ season yet.
Old 04-15-12, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Evans will be up there, too. The Tour and the Worlds road race suit him after all. He could have his best CQ season yet.
He could for sure have a very good season, but CQ wise he's already 220 points behind last year. And he still has to earn points comparable to winning Tour de Romandie and finishing second in Critérium du Dauphiné to be able to keep up with last year.

That said, my numbers are probably pretty low so if we go by these, he could certainly be in the top 6. I just don't think he will.
Old 04-15-12, 10:28

Quote:
He could for sure have a very good season, but CQ wise he's already 220 points behind last year. And he still has to earn points comparable to winning Tour de Romandie and finishing second in Critérium du Dauphiné to be able to keep up with last year.

That said, my numbers are probably pretty low so if we go by these, he could certainly be in the top 6. I just don't think he will.
He can top 3 regardless of your numbers, though. You're betting against someone who hasn't been outside the top 6 for the past 5 years. He was in the top 3 in 4 out of those 5 years.

I know he's behind last year's numbers, but that was expected and is, IMO, irrelevant with the Olympics, the Worlds and perhaps Lombardia as extra goals.
Old 04-15-12, 15:44

Looks like Rodriguez will not be overtaking Gilbert on the Current ranking anytime soon.
On the cycling side of life; our preseason training camp was very productive, good training, some time to get to know the new guys (great group we've got) and take care of many of the off-the-bike requirements of being a professional cyclist; testing new equipment, meeting with new partners and equipment suppliers, throwing oranges at Phil Gilbert, etc..
Old 04-15-12, 16:05

could have been an off day for jrod. wouldnt surprise me if he won fw.
Old 04-15-12, 16:07
Administrator

the ardennes are shaping up to spread their points fairly evenly and leave boonen in the lead after they are over. . . .

Last edited by Parrulo; 04-16-12 at 02:25.