Problem with Campag Centaur Ergo Shifter - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 04-16-12, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I think the original poster needs to establish whether he/she has the Ultra-Shift or Power-Shift levers and then set them up accordingly.
He said it's a 2008 model. Powershift is a 2011 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
It could also be that the FDs are optimised for either Ultra or Power-Shift, so worth checking that as well.
Campag shifters will shift any FD. The issue OP is having is definitely with the shifter.

I just checked ebay and there is an Ultrashift assembly body for sale (in the US) for $77. You can score a pair of new Veloce (with a silver option too) from Ribble for under $100 + shipping. There are minor cosmetic differences between Veloce and Centaur.
Old 04-16-12, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthill View Post
He said it's a 2008 model. Powershift is a 2011 model.

Campag shifters will shift any FD. The issue OP is having is definitely with the shifter.

I just checked ebay and there is an Ultrashift assembly body for sale (in the US) for $77. You can score a pair of new Veloce (with a silver option too) from Ribble for under $100 + shipping. There are minor cosmetic differences between Veloce and Centaur.
2008 Centaur 'works' the same as Powershift.

2007/8 Centaur and Veloce and all Powershift(2011 Athena and below) will NOT shift any Campagnolo FD. Only those marked 'QS' or anything 2008 or later.
Old 04-16-12, 13:39

If the guts are worn then a rebuild kit will fix it but if the cable is too tight it is possible the 3rd click has bee adjusted out of action. If this shifter has 3 clicks and in shifting he only gets 2 then he needs to readjust the cable. If the problem is 3 clicks but the FD won't stay engaged in 1 of the click positions then a rebuild. One of the great features of Campy is the rebuild ability
Old 04-16-12, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
If the guts are worn then a rebuild kit will fix it but if the cable is too tight it is possible the 3rd click has bee adjusted out of action. If this shifter has 3 clicks and in shifting he only gets 2 then he needs to readjust the cable. If the problem is 3 clicks but the FD won't stay engaged in 1 of the click positions then a rebuild. One of the great features of Campy is the rebuild ability
Not QS, 2007/8 Centaur, no parts available, guts not the same as 2006 ERGO or Record/Chorus 2007/8. 2007/8 guts the same as Xenon..

Look at this

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...s08_A_1007.pdf

Page 46-48

Compare to this.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...spares06_A.pdf

Page 68
Old 04-16-12, 21:01

Thanks for the comments. I finally got around to removing the lever from the bars and the first thing I noticed was that the retaining screw holding all of the inner's together was loose. After pulling it completely apart and reassembling (which was a bit if a trial) it now works correctly. Also there was a fair amount of old hardened grease that was clogging one of the pawls. I think these levers may have been overhauled once before.

Again thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-17-12, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
2007/8 Centaur and Veloce and all Powershift(2011 Athena and below) will NOT shift any Campagnolo FD. Only those marked 'QS' or anything 2008 or later.
If your point of reference is a marketing brochure, then I guess you're right. In real world though, not only any Campag FD will work, Shimano and SRAM will too. There's nothing in the FD design that will prevent it from shifting regardless of what shifters are used. Until not long ago, I've been running almost 20yo Shimano dérailleurs with 2011 Centaur shifters without any problems. Derailleurs simply don't care what pulls them.
Old 04-17-12, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthill View Post
If your point of reference is a marketing brochure, then I guess you're right. In real world though, not only any Campag FD will work, Shimano and SRAM will too. There's nothing in the FD design that will prevent it from shifting regardless of what shifters are used. Until not long ago, I've been running almost 20yo Shimano dérailleurs with 2011 Centaur shifters without any problems. Derailleurs simply don't care what pulls them.
27 years in a bike shop, not a marketing brochure. Beg to differ but on positional LH shifters, like sram and shimano and 2011 Powershift and Xenon, it does matter which FD you use. Yes, on 2006 and older ERGO, 2009 Ultrashift, 2010 Ultrashift and 2011/12 SR/Record and Chorus, it does not matter. On Powershift, Xenon and those shifters that are Xenon design based, it does.
Old 04-17-12, 14:04

BK
I find it hard to think of any FD that needs cable pull much different to go from small ring to big ring. Picking a number out of a hat I am thinking the cable pull for almost all FD must be nearly the same. IF shimano need 25mm of pull I would bet most all FD would use around the same pull. I mean the difference between a small chainring to large chainring is hardly any different no mater 5 speed or 11. Despite marketing hype the geometry of FD has not changed much since the 70s. Yes FD have gotten narrower and have better shapes etc. but the amount of cable pul to swing the FD just cannot be that widely variant.
Old 04-17-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
BK
I find it hard to think of any FD that needs cable pull much different to go from small ring to big ring. Picking a number out of a hat I am thinking the cable pull for almost all FD must be nearly the same. IF shimano need 25mm of pull I would bet most all FD would use around the same pull. I mean the difference between a small chainring to large chainring is hardly any different no mater 5 speed or 11. Despite marketing hype the geometry of FD has not changed much since the 70s. Yes FD have gotten narrower and have better shapes etc. but the amount of cable pul to swing the FD just cannot be that widely variant.
Well, with positional shifters, it makes a huge difference. Why a shimano STI won't shift a Campagnolo FD Not the cage but the arm length, position of the pivots in relation to the FD arms, etc. Those dimensions in combo with the spool diameter in the LH lever, makes some FDers work and others not.

Even a 7900 LH shifter won't really work with a 7800 FD. And a 7700 STI won't keep the chain from dragging with a 7800/7900 FD.

Similar for Rders. Trying to move the chain the same amount each shift for say, 10s but spool dimension coupled with RD dimension makes some compatible, others not.
Old 04-18-12, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
Well, with positional shifters, it makes a huge difference. Why a shimano STI won't shift a Campagnolo FD Not the cage but the arm length, position of the pivots in relation to the FD arms, etc. Those dimensions in combo with the spool diameter in the LH lever, makes some FDers work and others not.

Even a 7900 LH shifter won't really work with a 7800 FD. And a 7700 STI won't keep the chain from dragging with a 7800/7900 FD.

Similar for Rders. Trying to move the chain the same amount each shift for say, 10s but spool dimension coupled with RD dimension makes some compatible, others not.
I just ran downstairs to measure a 1989 dura ace fd a C record FD a 10 speed record pre QS and a Record 10 speed QS FD. the top arm length is the same on all 4 from the cable stop to the centre of the pivot. I did look at the Old Xton my wires MTB too
The MTB does have a longer lever and my XTR is top pull so it is a different design.

So explain how or why I could not use this old DA FD with any of my record levers? if the arm is the same length then the pull must be the same if the rings are spaced the same and they are. I would agree that not all FD are using the same cable pull or different lever lengths and of course double or triple shifters. It does appear to me that MTB FD are definitely using different FD than road ones. I am not sure an old style friction road shifter could pull enough cable to use the MTB FDs

Certainly rear derralliers are more affected by small variations. I have not seen the newest FD from Shimano but certainly their older FD are looking pretty compatible with Campy shifters. Especially the 5 click ones