Random Wheelsuckers - Page 12 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-18-12, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
What exactly are do you do up front man, i gotta know.
This genius decided that when the person in front of him moved across to come off the front after taking their turn, he would stay stuck to his wheel. By doing this he nearly wiped out the girl riding next to him....
Old 04-18-12, 04:27

That reminds me of a similar situation. A group of riders turned on to the street I was on, they sucked my wheel for a few clicks and eventually it was just annoying so I would slow or speed up and they were still there so they were up to it. Well up the road there was a pack of cars parked and I could see a wide gap where there were no cars parked so as I approached the last car before the gap I quickly swung over wide and hit the brakes Maverick style (Top Gun reference) and they freaked out. "Hey what are you doing!", "bla bla bla" as they broke their formation and actually hit the brakes as well. Since I hit the brakes first I was now in the rear of their pack and the guys in the front were riding as if they didn't know how to steer straight and slowed even more. I swung back to their group and hid in the back of the pack to lay some wheel suck revenge. Well they kept riding as if they lost their directional compass and started yammering about how crazy a move I had done and started to look for me. Now, when I swung over the only thing that hit them was the wind as they were now at the front. Well after another few clicks I had recovered enough to start my attack as they were not going to get back up to speed any time soon and the original guys who were forced to be at the front had drifted back in the pack. The new riders at the front looked like no threat so I knew with the right conditions they wouldn't latch on again. So I attacked from the rear as a car approached so I could use it to sweep behind me. Yes, the same guys who were originally ended up at the front tried to latch on but my 3000 lb sweeper forced them back in the pack, the car honked at them as they were almost run over (I didn't actually see it but the honking and yelling would be my verification of that). The riders at the front ended up inadvertently blocking for me and off I went. Too funny, well for me.
Old 04-18-12, 04:53

Actually hadnt thought to mention but my club has numerous training rides scheduled across the week both AM and PM anyone can come along generally. However, a couple of training rides per week are set as club kit required. This isn't to stop non-club members from joining in. The rule is that if you aren't wearing the club shirt, you are not allowed up into the front of the bunch and are not allowed to work any turns. The idea is to keep the unknown people off the front so that they dont take the other 50-60 down.

Seems sensible to me...

http://velorooms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersracer
Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
Old 04-18-12, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin318is View Post
Actually hadnt thought to mention but my club has numerous training rides scheduled across the week both AM and PM anyone can come along generally. However, a couple of training rides per week are set as club kit required. This isn't to stop non-club members from joining in. The rule is that if you aren't wearing the club shirt, you are not allowed up into the front of the bunch and are not allowed to work any turns. The idea is to keep the unknown people off the front so that they dont take the other 50-60 down.

Seems sensible to me...
Yeah I get where you are coming from, but what happens when someone does not know whats going on and tries to come through (cause they dont want to be a random wheelsucker), how is this dealt with?

I have maybe had more fights in bike races than a lot of the people riding have had bike races, so when someone tells me to "f--k off mate this is a club ride", there is a part of me that imediatelly gets my race face on cause it takes me back to being a kid getting a hard time by older riders who thought they could intimidate you into dropping out of the break and the like

I know that maybe I should grow up, but so often it is the way that things are explained that is important. If you get told with some level of patience what is going on and would you mind not interfering then I for one have no big issue, but more likley than not you are just told by someone taking it all a bit seriously to "f--k off"
Old 04-18-12, 05:53

Generally when someone adds on the back they are immediately told what the ride is about and visually its pretty clear that the kits are all at the front. Its all done in a polite way so not many issues are encountered - although some riders crack the ****s and go sprinting up the road....

http://velorooms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersracer
Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
Old 05-06-14, 05:39

Had someone abuse me this morning because I rode him off the wheel and wouldn't slow down to let him draft

Yep, you read that right.
Old 05-11-14, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
I was out this morning by myself, just doing a 1.5/2hr tempo ride around one of the more popular loops here. No less than three times I had random guys I rolled past decide to latch on to my wheel. One of them even followed me when I sprinted away from him at 55kmh + !!!!

What creative ways do you guys have for ditching those types that need to cling onto any wheel that rolls past just to hold 30kmh

Some people just don't get the drift and braking suddenly while swerving to the side to make them pass only works until you catch the person in question again
Did you say a friendly hello as you passed them?
Old 05-11-14, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Had someone abuse me this morning because I rode him off the wheel and wouldn't slow down to let him draft

Yep, you read that right.
How did they catch you to offer the abuse?
Old 05-11-14, 02:35

I really don't care if someone I pass latches onto my wheel. What does it matter?
Old 05-11-14, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
How did they catch you to offer the abuse?
He latched onto my wheel the moment I passed him.