The Real Football Thread - Page 115 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 04-26-12, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
The Basque country is one of those few beautiful areas in the world where people care about cycling, If they start being good at football theyll move away from it.

It is important for cycling that they lose.
Don't worry. While Athletic may be doing well (they're actually no better in the league this year than last), Sociedad are pretty poor at the moment, so Gipuzkoa can keep its cycling love, while Araba doesn't have a first division team at all.

Besides, if Bielsa goes to Barcelona, expect Athletic back playing the good old muscular style of old (and the team to be raided to go and be substitutes at the Camp Nou)...

Forever tte de la course.
Old 04-26-12, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Athletic Club are going to the final!!! A very good game of football between Athletic and Sporting, but there could only be one winner.
Congrats on a totally deserved win! I watched an enjoyable game where Athletic were always the better side. I will certainly be rooting for you against the 'mattresses'.

Let's hope for your sake that Guardiola stays, so that Bielsa will stay too. Whether Llorente will go.....someone is likely to offer the club an awful lot of money for him this summer - will they be able to say no?
Old 04-26-12, 23:45

Wink

Quote:
The Basque country is one of those few beautiful areas in the world where people care about cycling, If they start being good at football theyll move away from it.

Sorry to disagree, but Athletic lost the UEFA final in late 70's. Real Sociedad and Athletic won La Liga early 80's (4 championships in a row) AND my favorite cyclist (mind my nick) was there, and most important all the fans too. Txuriurdinak also were on a CL semifinal (I don't remember the year, you know, that's just my brother's and half my family's team)
We are feminine. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Orain eta beti, gora Athletic!
Old 04-27-12, 06:31

Athletic are pleasing to the eye with their movement, as we can expect from bielsa side.
Old 04-27-12, 11:43

Pep leaves barca and it sucks for Roma that enrique is not given the job but tito vilanova.

Last edited by Zam_Olyas; 04-27-12 at 12:19.
Old 04-27-12, 13:24

Quote:

Athletic Club have always been very popular in the Basque region.
Old 04-27-12, 17:01

Why the hell is there no mention of guardiolas doping in any of the thousands of sycophantic "articles" (fanpieces) that have appeared all over the world.

Ben Johnson is still living with this ****
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 04-27-12, 17:31

Quote:
Why the hell is there no mention of guardiolas doping in any of the thousands of sycophantic "articles" (fanpieces) that have appeared all over the world.

Ben Johnson is still living with this ****
Because its football, simple as!!!

Do you think any of the others who tested positive or got in trouble like Davids, Stam, De Boer, Ferdinand have tarnished reputations. Absolutely not.
Old 04-27-12, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Well said.

You must of been reading my mind. I am saying the same thing over here to my friends here all the time.

Linford Christie gets criticised for his nandrolene offence but good old Pep gets nothing bad said about him. All I am hearing about in the last 24 hours is how he is this great gentleman and brilliant football man. And also this love fest with him is really getting on my nerves. Its like everyone is going around saying Guardiola was the coming of our saviour as a manager in football.

No wonder he is a gentleman. His team are winning all the time. I would like to see how he behaves after a run of bad results and bad referee decisions going against him. I guarantee you he would be no different to any other manager. He would moaning and talking about conspiracies just like the rest of them.

And also he walks out on the job straightaway when the going gets tough for the first time. You hear Graham Hunter on Sky saying it was his demanding management style which caught up on him at the end. And what about Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger? Are they not demanding managers? They never seem to be jaded from management and they just get on with it season after season. The sign of a great manager is how a manager responds when the chips are down and the team is low on morale and form. In the end Guardiola has walked before we can see does he have this quality as a manager. That is the real test of a manager.

Also he didnt exactly take over a bunch of mugs either. The summer he did take over, Spain won the European Championships with Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol playing excellently. The previous season Barca only lost 1-0 to United in a semi in the CL who in the end won the double of the league and CL. Only 2 years before taking over, Barca won the CL themselves. Dont forget everyone in football knew that Messi had it in him to become the worlds best player as he did score a hat-trick in a league game against Madrid before Pep took over. And the football wasnt half bad either before taking over. If anyone remembers the 3-0 win they had at the Bernabeu when Rijkaard was manager and the Madrid fans clapped them off the pitch.
Yeah the fact about Barcelona being the best also gets to me.

During his entire reign 1 of his players has been named the best player in the world, 1 year he had the top 3 players in the world, i think every year he has had 2 of the top 3 in the world, I mean, its not like was up against it.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 04-29-12, 02:49

Is anyone else doing a fantasy League???

I am doing the EPL- just to put it out there.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"