Video of hit-and-run - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-27-12, 15:00

Default Video of hit-and-run

Yikes, this happened on Tunnel Road in Berkeley, an area I'm very familiar with. Happily, no serious injuries. The accident (if it was? looks like the driver intentionally plowed into the cyclist) occurs at about 2:40.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2012/04/...n-video/?tsp=1

On the other hand, there have been at least three fatal accidents in San Francisco in the past year in which a cyclist ran into a pedestrian. In the latest one, it was just announced that the prosecutor will probably file felony charges.I'm thinking the cyclist involved should be in the pros, because the prosecutors claim he was going 35 mph on what I thought was a flat stretch of road.

Update: Police have located the car and are trying to locate the registered driver, a 43 year old man. His parents say he told them the car was stolen, but he reported it stolen after the accident. Sounds like a story to get himself off the hook.

Last edited by Merckx index; 04-28-12 at 01:57.
Old 04-27-12, 17:38

That video camera belonging to the cyclist captured the license plate of the car that hit them both. He should find the frame with the best resolution, copy it off, and give it to the authorities.

here's what a simple snapshot from the youtube video shows (I'll bet there is a frame in the original video that will get the plate #):
Old 04-27-12, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
That video camera belonging to the cyclist captured the license plate of the car that hit them both. He should find the frame with the best resolution, copy it off, and give it to the authorities.

here's what a simple snapshot from the youtube video shows (I'll bet there is a frame in the original video that will get the plate #):
The cyclist said police were able to identify the license plate of the car and have already made contact with the driver.

“The police have located the car and the owner,” he wrote. “Now I’m waiting for the return of the police on the case.”
Old 04-27-12, 19:39

Don't want to re-ignite the old debate but, damn that guy is lucky he was wearing a helmet.
Old 04-27-12, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
Yikes, this happened on Tunnel Road in Berkeley, an area I'm very familiar with. Happily, no serious injuries. The accident (if it was? looks like the driver intentionally plowed into the cyclist) occurs at about 2:40.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2012/04/...n-video/?tsp=1

On the other hand, there have been at least three fatal accidents in San Francisco in the past year in which a cyclist ran into a pedestrian. In the latest one, it was just announced that the prosecutor will probably file felony charges.I'm thinking the cyclist involved should be in the pros, because the prosecutors claim he was going 35 mph on what I thought was a flat stretch of road.
Yeah, this was a pretty crappy - and dangerous - hit-and-run. It did look intentional, but in any case it was negligent. Particularly the fleeing part.

To the bold, the guy had just bombed down Castro street hill - where the speed limit is 25 MPH - and flown through the intersection with Market street when he hit the elderly man who was in the crosswalk with his wife. Later that day, this cyclist posted some comments in a blog, mourning the loss . . . of his helmet.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA9O1NVHMI.DTL

There are some real twits here on bikes, who ride aggressively and without regard for pedestrians. As the video of this hit-and-run shows, though, some of the twits are in cars.

Last edited by Maxiton; 04-27-12 at 20:49.
Old 04-27-12, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
Don't want to re-ignite the old debate but, damn that guy is lucky he was wearing a helmet.
More importantly, he was lucky to be lucky.
Old 04-29-12, 03:28

They got the driver. When they arrested him, they also charged him with heroin possession . . .

http://www.fugitive.com/2012/04/28/b...ed-in-oakland/
Old 04-29-12, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiton View Post
Yeah, this was a pretty crappy - and dangerous - hit-and-run. It did look intentional, but in any case it was negligent. Particularly the fleeing part.

To the bold, the guy had just bombed down Castro street hill - where the speed limit is 25 MPH - and flown through the intersection with Market street when he hit the elderly man who was in the crosswalk with his wife. Later that day, this cyclist posted some comments in a blog, mourning the loss . . . of his helmet.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA9O1NVHMI.DTL

There are some real twits here on bikes, who ride aggressively and without regard for pedestrians. As the video of this hit-and-run shows, though, some of the twits are in cars.
Both are a disgrace. The errant driver and bike rider who hit the old man. I find when I am walking that it is more dangerous to cross the road at a zebra crossing because many drivers just ignore it altogether or refuse to slow down. Let's not kid ourselves there are plenty of morons riding bikes. The percentage is probably comparable to dangerous drivers.
Old 05-01-12, 10:25

Am I the only one who noticed the cyclists cruise through the stop sign without stopping at the start of the video? Or is the law different in Berkeley from my part of the world? Just suprised they didn't edit it out. Either way, monumentally sh|t driving from the black car and good to know he is going to be prosecuted.
Old 05-01-12, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
Am I the only one who noticed the cyclists cruise through the stop sign without stopping at the start of the video? Or is the law different in Berkeley from my part of the world? Just suprised they didn't edit it out. Either way, monumentally sh|t driving from the black car and good to know he is going to be prosecuted.
Am I the only one who noticed the cyclists cruise through the stop sign without stopping at the start of the video?

No, I saw that, but I can't tell how fast they sailed through. Not such a big deal I guess as it's a 4-way stop.

Just suprised they didn't edit it out.

Nice that they didn't. They don't try to look like saints.

good to know he (car driver) is going to be prosecuted

Definitely.