Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-12, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Bwa ha ha ha. Bah! Perhaps by traditionalists, but many an expert knew they would be an improvement. There was no real debate in the scientific community as there was evidence, even at the time, of the benefit.
It was an easy theory to test and unlike the Italian TTT or Thierry Marie in 1986, the Hour record, or anything to do with Graeme Obree the UCI didn't see fit to intervene.

"I couldn't have won today without my power meter" Said no rider ever!!!
Old 04-28-12, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
It was an easy theory to test and unlike the Italian TTT or Thierry Marie in 1986, the Hour record, or anything to do with Graeme Obree the UCI didn't see fit to intervene.
That was basically my point.

Ah, the good old UCI. They really did not like Obree's innovations, did they? Lucky for us he did not "create" aero bars or they would have been banned as well
I got the fever for the flavor of a crowd pleaser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
BS you were banned for carrying on like a pork chop after clearly being instructed to desist...several times.
Old 04-28-12, 13:06

Quote:
There was no real debate in the scientific community as there was evidence, even at the time, of the benefit.
The same applies to Anquetil's TT pedal stroke but of course unlike the use of aero bars, it could not be copied. By copying the triathletes and their arm rest aero bars, scientists made another serious error because with the use of such bars, any hope of someone else discovering the ideal TT pedaling technique vanished. The ideal and safer aero bars are ' Scott Rake ' type which retain the natural racing body position. Back to crank length: After further consideration I now believe the increase in chain ring size necessary to balance torque output from the natural and ideal tt techniques should be between 50 and 70 %. This increase is required for one to almost double torque in the 2-4 o'c sector which should compensate for the inability to apply max torque between 11-1 o'c (twice per revolution), and to also double torque application between 1-2 o'c. How would a 145 crank cope with such power output.
Old 04-28-12, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
The same applies to Anquetil's TT pedal stroke but of course unlike the use of aero bars, it could not be copied. By copying the triathletes and their arm rest aero bars, scientists made another serious error because with the use of such bars, any hope of someone else discovering the ideal TT pedaling technique vanished. The ideal and safer aero bars are ' Scott Rake ' type which retain the natural racing body position. Back to crank length: After further consideration I now believe the increase in chain ring size necessary to balance torque output from the natural and ideal tt techniques should be between 50 and 70 %. This increase is required for one to almost double torque in the 2-4 o'c sector which should compensate for the inability to apply max torque between 11-1 o'c (twice per revolution), and to also double torque application between 1-2 o'c. How would a 145 crank cope with such power output.
Ha ha, what a vivid imagination you have.

"I couldn't have won today without my power meter" Said no rider ever!!!
Old 04-28-12, 21:27

Quote:
By copying the triathletes and their arm rest aero bars, scientists made another serious error because with the use of such bars, any hope of someone else discovering the ideal TT pedaling technique vanished.
???? Not sure your logic with this?

Quote:
The ideal and safer aero bars are ' Scott Rake ' type which retain the natural racing body position.
Ummmmmm, no.

Quote:
Back to crank length: After further consideration I now believe the increase in chain ring size necessary to balance torque output from the natural and ideal tt techniques ...
Are you smoking somethin'?
Quote:
BS you were banned for carrying on like a pork chop after clearly being instructed to desist...several times.
Old 04-28-12, 23:46

Quote:
Yawn. Force measuring pedals have been around for a good 30 years or more as has been your chance to prove your opinion on pedalling.
does the word "dogmatic" mean anything to you?
Old 04-29-12, 12:33

Quote:
???? Not sure your logic with this?

Application of maximal torque through 12 o'c needs independent resistance, the arms supply this, but they cannot do it when they are effectively idling on their rests.
Old 04-29-12, 14:39

Quote:
Ha ha, what a vivid imagination you have.

What prevents the extra leverage of longer cranks from improving performance ?
Old 04-29-12, 23:58

Quote:
Application of maximal torque through 12 o'c needs independent resistance, the arms supply this, but they cannot do it when they are effectively idling on their rests.
but the rider's hands are holding the extensions. There is plenty of opportunity to prodive resistance through that hand position so I dont really see how this causes a loss of the ideal TT position..

http://velorooms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersracer
Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
Old 04-30-12, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin318is View Post
but the rider's hands are holding the extensions. There is plenty of opportunity to prodive resistance through that hand position so I dont really see how this causes a loss of the ideal TT position..
It wouldn't. I am not sure if Coapman is doing some manner of trolling, or if he/she simply does not understand.
Quote:
Closed Thread