Speedplay pedals & cleats - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 04-29-12, 06:28

Default Speedplay pedals & cleats

I've been using Time Impact pedals for many years and they are good and they last & last but it's getting very difficult & expensive to get cleats for them now. So, I'm thinking of changing to Speedplays. I understand Speedplay offer 3-hole & 4-hole cleats but the 3-hole version ends up with a "taller" stack-height? Is that right? I like a low stack-height - so is it better to use the 4-hole cleats with Speedplay? If so, any recommendations on shoes with 4-hole fitting options? For shoes, I've tried Sidis, Bont, Nike .. etc and I really like Time shoes as they have a high heel-lift but I don't think they offer 4-hole options.
Old 04-29-12, 15:41

I tried to find a 4 bolt shoe and even begged Bont to finish their 4 bolt prototype but they only build custom and it is darned expensive. In the end I went with a 3 bolt shoe with the adaptor. It is a little higher but still I removed about 6 mm of stack or had to lower my saddle close to 6 mm after changing from Pro fit and Specialized shoes to Bont and Speedplay Zero's
Old 04-29-12, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
I tried to find a 4 bolt shoe and even begged Bont to finish their 4 bolt prototype but they only build custom and it is darned expensive. In the end I went with a 3 bolt shoe with the adaptor. It is a little higher but still I removed about 6 mm of stack or had to lower my saddle close to 6 mm after changing from Pro fit and Specialized shoes to Bont and Speedplay Zero's
I did exactly the same thing. I just bought the Sidi Ergo 3s, so now I have to deal with the pain of changing the saddle height every time I need to switch shoes from the Bonts.
Old 05-01-12, 05:06

One issue I have with Speedplay is that the standard adapter/shim doesn't allow a whole lot of longitudinal adjustment. Some shoe brands, like Pearl Izumi, drill the holes a bit forward of where I'd like them, and you can't get the cleat back far enough without using their optional $30 aluminum shim. That was one thing that was really dialed on Time RXS cleats.

Bont drills their holes farther back, so I'm happy again.
Old 05-01-12, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post
I did exactly the same thing. I just bought the Sidi Ergo 3s, so now I have to deal with the pain of changing the saddle height every time I need to switch shoes from the Bonts.
Yes I stopped using all my other shoes as a result
Old 05-05-12, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I've been using Time Impact pedals for many years and they are good and they last & last but it's getting very difficult & expensive to get cleats for them now. So, I'm thinking of changing to Speedplays. I understand Speedplay offer 3-hole & 4-hole cleats but the 3-hole version ends up with a "taller" stack-height? Is that right? I like a low stack-height - so is it better to use the 4-hole cleats with Speedplay? If so, any recommendations on shoes with 4-hole fitting options? For shoes, I've tried Sidis, Bont, Nike .. etc and I really like Time shoes as they have a high heel-lift but I don't think they offer 4-hole options.
How different are the impacts from the RXSes? I've had one set of RXSes for 5 years now with no issues at all. I like the wider platform that Time offers and the fact that the cleats last much longer and you don't have to grease the bearings.

Yes, I did use Speedplay zeros for about 2 months. Never really warmed up to them and they sit in a box in my garage but YMMV.
Old 05-05-12, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
How different are the impacts from the RXSes? I've had one set of RXSes for 5 years now with no issues at all. I like the wider platform that Time offers and the fact that the cleats last much longer and you don't have to grease the bearings.

Yes, I did use Speedplay zeros for about 2 months. Never really warmed up to them and they sit in a box in my garage but YMMV.
Give ya $50 for them(the SP)...
Old 05-06-12, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
I had issues with RXS bearings, and then I broke the the toe lug on one with a sloppy clip-in. My bad to be sure but I was looking for an excuse to try Zeroes. I'm happy with them, but I can come up with good reasons for the Times, too.
Old 05-06-12, 02:49

I think there is an older thread about speedplays on this forum.
I have used them for over two years...easy maintenance simple to use comfortable to ride with. I love mine.
Old 05-07-12, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabe View Post
I had issues with RXS bearings, and then I broke the the toe lug on one with a sloppy clip-in. My bad to be sure but I was looking for an excuse to try Zeroes. I'm happy with them, but I can come up with good reasons for the Times, too.
Got it. For some reason, Time has either some really crappy QC or just plain bad designs.

The RXSes suffered from just what happened to you (pedal body breakage) and now the latest gen pedals are suffering from cleat breakage.

I guess I've been lucky.