Snooker - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 05-02-12, 10:24

I'd love to try and play it too! But given my "skills" at playing pool I don't think it would go well for me...

Played with my cousin's son a while ago... I was really at potting the white ball!
Old 05-02-12, 12:27

Stephen Hendry "the legend" has ended his career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BD_g0PJG-0g#!

great player, always enjoyed watching him play

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 05-02-12, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Sounds like the dominance you see in billiards in the US. Frequently one player goes on a tear and runs the table, often from start to finish. That's how good guys are.
I think you talk about Pool here? Snooker is a different level. Itīs maybe like going from Kid-Carts to Indy 500. I run the table sometimes at 9-Ball, but do fail more often than not at snooker. Even a straight pot on this 3 1/2 meter long table is a difficult task.

Since i know the snooker game from my own experience, i sometimes wonder how QBīs can miss easy targets (iīve no problem to hit receivers in strides, but lack arm strength). Snooker players have real true accuracy. Itīs just unbelivebale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I'd love to try and play it too! But given my "skills" at playing pool I don't think it would go well for me...

Played with my cousin's son a while ago... I was really at potting the white ball!
As described above, if you canīt hit balls at a good rate (lets say 7/8 of 10 pot tries) in pool, youīll be desperate at a snooker table. It looks sooo easy at TV, youīll get shocked trying yourself.
Old 05-02-12, 15:36
Administrator

yes pool is a kids game compared to snooker, i play pool myself almost every day and i can pretty often clean an entire table without much of a problem but in snooker. . . . .

the table is just too big and the balls and holes too small
Old 05-02-12, 16:17

I've never played snooker, here we had a pool table. I heard a snooker table is longer so harder to pot the ball. Would like to play it in the near future.
Old 05-02-12, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
yes pool is a kids game compared to snooker, i play pool myself almost every day and i can pretty often clean an entire table without much of a problem but in snooker. . . . .

Not bad. I only sometimes clear the table in pool. There´s always a missed pot, the white ball going the wrong place, or just nerves. Anyway, i win a good chunk of my games for money or free drinks. Snooker, i didn´t play a long time. I just fear missing too much and then fall into depressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.Harm View Post
I've never played snooker, here we had a pool table. I heard a snooker table is longer so harder to pot the ball. Would like to play it in the near future.
The biggest problem in snooker is the thiny holes. There is just no room for even small mistakes, especially on the long pots.
Old 05-02-12, 17:59
Administrator

well i don't usually play for money, i usually play with my friends and at the end split the bill so i am under no pressure while playing
Old 05-02-12, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyBrown1111 View Post
As described above, if you canīt hit balls at a good rate (lets say 7/8 of 10 pot tries) in pool, youīll be desperate at a snooker table. It looks sooo easy at TV, youīll get shocked trying yourself.
I'm afraid my rather... unconventional... way of holding the cue didn't exactly help either. No expert, but I don't think you're suppose to just let it stick weirdly out to the side.

Quote:
Yeah... among other things the size of the table would be an issue to me. At 160 cm I'm not even sure I'd be able to reach anything!

Quote:
The biggest problem in snooker is the thiny holes. There is just no room for even small mistakes, especially on the long pots.
But it does look cool when the ball starts dancing around the whole like crazy.
Old 05-02-12, 19:10

Quote:
well i don't usually play for money, i usually play with my friends and at the end split the bill so i am under no pressure while playing
Yes pressure is big time too in billards. I am the master of missing the black ball (on normal pool) or the 9-Ball. I always choke under pressure. The same happened to me in my baseball and soccer league play times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I'm afraid my rather... unconventional... way of holding the cue didn't exactly help either. No expert, but I don't think you're suppose to just let it stick weirdly out to the side.

Yeah... among other things the size of the table would be an issue to me. At 160 cm I'm not even sure I'd be able to reach anything!

But it does look cool when the ball starts dancing around the whole like crazy.
Perfect technique/talent is essential in billards. When i played snooker regulary, i didnīt even try to meet opponents if i didnīt had my "A-Game" in 2 hr. practises before matches.

Anyway, some players had real bad techniques and still performed high class. That must be true talent then. Like this one (Alex Higgins):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6u1uSjEyyU

If you are 1,60, i guess youīre still young. Perfect time to start snooker. I started at age of 16, simply b/c snooker was unknown before in germany.

You can reach all balls with the Rest/Extension/Spider.

No itīs not cool when the ball dances and donīt go in, unless it happens to the opponent.
Old 05-02-12, 19:23

Quote:
If you are 1,60, i guess youīre still young. Perfect time to start snooker. I started at age of 16, simply b/c snooker was unknown before in germany.

You can reach all balls with the Rest/Extension/Spider.

No itīs not cool when the ball dances and donīt go in, unless it happens to the opponent.
I'm 24... stopped growing a while ago... And I don't think I'd know how to use those.

It's funny to watch! And sometimes they dance about and go in. Whipe the feet as the main Danish commentator tends to say!