LeMond - Page 17 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 05-06-12, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBay View Post
I'm surprised that Tilford hasn't said anything.
This. Oliver's comments border on slander...
Old 05-06-12, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
...no...he didn't win a stage that had a significant segment where aero equipment didn't give him a huge advantage...and on this more level playing field he lost...

...and given that there were course segments where he did have a decidely large aero advantage he must have been really slow on the segments where he enjoyed no such advantage...in fact on a level playing he was very un-super...

Cheers

blutto
He didn't win the stage but did take significant time out of his closest rival at the same time as he limited his losses to the likes of Delgado etc who were already minutes adrift.

Your observation that 16km or so was flat is, I'm afraid, utter fiction. The course started at just under 750m and climbed 500m in the first 10.7km. There was a 6.5km technical descent to to 1050m and then the course climbed all the way up to 1800m. There was no 10 miles of flat at all.
Old 05-06-12, 20:45

Quote:
...GL was never a match to Hinault in the race of truth...he beat him only once, by 5 sec, when Hinault was suffering from a broken nose
Hinault may have been suffering from a broken nose, but he did beat the rest as well. Sean Kelly who won the 1986 GP Des Nations was one scalp that day, as was Charly Mottet, not to mention Alain Bondue & Stephen Roche. Or were Lemond & Hinault the only ones racing with the rest just soft pedalling?
Old 05-06-12, 21:08

Quote:
...that bit of information was from a post up-thread from Gregga...

"Stage 15 of the 1989 TdF was flat for 10 miles, Greg had his tri-bars and aero helmet (he removed it in the final ascent), some riders even had a lenticular (Delgado, Fignon). So that wasn't a real mountain TT, and aero was important too."

...I made the potentially fatal mistake of assuming he knew what he was taking about...I will not make that mistake again....

....so I apologize for the mistake and strongly suggest you get in contact with Gregga and staighten the poor man out...he is, according to you obviously deluded, and in need of a firm hand...

...and now back to my original contention...on a course that was less than aero friendly GL was rather ok but not awesomely awesome...hardly a superman as has been implied...

Cheers

blutto
He was fifth, not way down the classification.
Old 05-06-12, 21:58

Quote:
...GL was never a match to Hinault in the race of truth...he beat him only once, by 5 sec, when Hinault was suffering from a broken nose...

...and note the only other TT's he ever won were when he enjoyed an significant aero advantage over the competition...he was good but never an athletic match to the top TT'ers...

Cheers

blutto
With all due respect, if you don't think Lemond was a "match" for Hinault in the TT, then we just agree to disagree.

I would only further point our that the last TT of the 86 Tour Hinault won by 25 seconds because Greg crashed to finish second. I think, consequently, they were well matched in this discipline.
Old 05-06-12, 23:45

Quote:
...once in a lifetime supermen don't finish 5th, 57 sec down, they crush the opposition....

Cheers

blutto
Cancellara finished 8th in the Tour TT in 2011. He is certainly something of a superman.

Also, when you have 4 stages in the high mountains left, making sure that you don't burn out in an ITT might be prudent.
Old 05-07-12, 00:00

Quote:
...once in a lifetime supermen don't finish 5th, 57 sec down, they crush the opposition....

Cheers

blutto
If you are arguing that LeMond wasn't really that great of a cyclist, then your opinion differs from that of ALL the men who raced against him.
Old 05-07-12, 01:04

You ran out of facts to twist for your trolling, so just resort to absurdity. Of course his palmares is not as good as Merckx, no-one claimed that, so there's no point acting all clever because you pointed it out.
Old 05-07-12, 01:13

Quote:
...sorry but I'm picky...check below for great...

Most career victories by a professional cyclist: 525.
Most victories in one season: 54.
Most stage victories in the Tour de France: 34.
Most stage victories in one Tour de France: 8, in 1970 and 1974 (shared with Charles Pélissier in 1930 and Freddy Maertens in 1976).
Most days with the yellow jersey in the Tour de France: 96.
The only cyclist to have won the general classification, points classification and mountains classification in the same Tour de France (1969).
Most victories in classics: 28.
Most victories in one single classic: 7 (in Milan – San Remo).
Most victories in Grand Tours: 11

...and then there is everyone else...and frankly I don't give a rats *** what their VO2 Max is...bottom line you win or you lose...no style points...no woulda coulda shoulda...though if you want to go down that road can you imagine how really great Eddie would have been if hadn't had that derny accident...

Cheers

blutto
The more that you argue that LeMond wasn't great (by your stratospherically high standards), the more you argue that LeMond was a clean rider.
Old 05-07-12, 01:14

Quote:
...sorry but I'm picky...check below for great...

Most career victories by a professional cyclist: 525.
Most victories in one season: 54.
Most stage victories in the Tour de France: 34.
Most stage victories in one Tour de France: 8, in 1970 and 1974 (shared with Charles Pélissier in 1930 and Freddy Maertens in 1976).
Most days with the yellow jersey in the Tour de France: 96.
The only cyclist to have won the general classification, points classification and mountains classification in the same Tour de France (1969).
Most victories in classics: 28.
Most victories in one single classic: 7 (in Milan – San Remo).
Most victories in Grand Tours: 11

...and then there is everyone else...and frankly I don't give a rats *** what their VO2 Max is...bottom line you win or you lose...no style points...no woulda coulda shoulda...though if you want to go down that road can you imagine how really great Eddie would have been if hadn't had that derny accident...

Cheers

blutto
Not sure of your point? Only one rider can be great? You're a fan of Merckx? You're a grouch?