U.S. Politics - Page 294 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 05-07-12, 19:56
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Yep. And massive tax cuts and cutting spending on social programs will have the exact opposite effect, as we're seeing on a grand scale in Europe at the moment, where austerity has basically been a complete failure. Why the Ryanists think it's going to work over here is beyond me.

What we should be doing is investing massively in education, science/engineering, infrastructure, health care, etc, instead of slashing all of those, as Rs intend to do, and paying for them through defense cuts and increased tax revenues. If you think the country's in rough shape now, won't be anything compared to the impacts of those cuts a generation or two down the line.
There is and never will be a time where you and yours think any different. Always the same. Always.

You can replace "investing" with "spending". You aren't fooling anybody.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 05-08-12 at 00:35. Reason: clarification
Old 05-07-12, 20:05
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Private-sector jobs are back to the level they were when Obama took office.

Again, it's not the private sector that's the problem, it's the public. Did you miss this?

http://money.usnews.com/money/career...ctor-job-gains

For Rs to be complaining about unemployment and slow job growth under Obama is laughable.

btw, what was that about losing "liberty"?

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....ecurity-state/

Moral of the story: if you value your civil liberties, don't vote for conservatives.
Quote:
Private-sector jobs are back to the level they were when Obama took office.
How convenient. When Obama TOOK office for this argument, Bush's fault for all others.

Quote:
Again, it's not the private sector that's the problem, it's the public. Did you miss this?
Really? 4 or 5 million long term unemployed private sector worker versus 600,000 plus public workers? But it's the public workforce cuts that's dragging down the economy? Do you even read what you are writing?

Quote:
For Rs to be complaining about unemployment and slow job growth under Obama is laughable.
Oh how I hope this is the conventional thinking on your side. If so, you guys will get smoked and smoked badly.
Old 05-07-12, 20:12
Scott SoCal

Quote:
And then there's the Republicans:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/..._nominees.html

If there were any lingering doubt that the Rs are simply trying to drag down the economy in the hopes of undermining Obama, let's put them to rest now.
Wow.

The Fed has interest rates at 75 basis points. Been there for some time. QEI and QEII (talk of QEIII) and some dum-*** R has the temerity to voice concern over even more activist monetary policy.

<shaking head>

Look at it this way. When Romney wins and inflation takes off (at some point it will) you'll have something to try and blame him for.
Old 05-07-12, 20:13
Scott SoCal

VeloCity;

I've lost interest in this back and forth. You will notice, you and I are the only posting crap here anymore.

The floor is now yours.
Old 05-07-12, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
VeloCity;

I've lost interest in this back and forth. You will notice, you and I are the only posting crap here anymore.

The floor is now yours.
Yeah, I agree, we should probably give it a rest.
Old 05-07-12, 20:29

Quote:
There is never will be a time where you and yours think any different. Always the same. Always.

You can replace "investing" with "spending". You aren't fooling anybody.
The irony made me laugh out loud.

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 05-07-12, 23:00

Interview with Yale Economics professor Robert Shiller, one of the few people to predict the 2000 stock market bubble and the sub-prime mortgage crisis. Mostly talking about austerity and the Eurozone crisis, but all is pretty relevant to what is being talked about here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-0...system/3996768
Old 05-08-12, 00:38
Scott SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
The irony made me laugh out loud.

Good. Was is a sarcastic laugh?

I made the point a bit earlier... it's no wonder DC is so effed up. Just look at this thread. He (and you) will not budge. Me neither.

The difference is... I'm right

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 05-08-12 at 03:29.
Old 05-08-12, 03:34

Quote:
Good. Was is a sarcastic laugh?

I made the point a bit earlier... it's no wonder DC is so effed up. Just look at this thread. He (and you) will not budge. Me neither.

The difference is... I'm right
If by that you mean you are "on the right" then I wholeheartedly agree.
What has us screwed up though is that in DC only the left ever "budges" and they don't just budge they often capitulate.

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 05-08-12, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
What has us screwed up though is that in DC only the left ever "budges" and they don't just budge they often capitulate.
Yep, and personally I'm sick and tired of ours being the only side willing to move or compromise while the right sits on its hands and does ****-all for the sake of maintaining ideological purity. When did "compromise" become "treason" to so many on the right? Even Mitch McConnell believes that his most important job is to bring down Obama, not to work with the elected president of the United States.