Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-18-10, 05:18

transition into europe is a difficult one.
Yes the races in s/america are probably more entertaining, but that is because quality in Europe make the races less unpredictable.
for example man utd and liverpool can play a terribly boring 0-0 draw, whereas my little cousin can play a 7-6 game in a junior league here. Comparing riders results in s/america is difficult to summarizing instant sucess in europe.

Colombia appear to have much talent, but I suspect many will not succeed in europe.

As for Henao, he certainly has the potential, but only time will tell. Once again, the transition into europe will not be easy. Different racing.

Personally I would like to see some come here and succeed, but at the same time I can't claim i'm 'crazy' about them, as I haven't personally seen enough of these guys (suspect this is the case with the majority of the posters here, despite the constant hype ) to really judge if I like the individual rider or not.
Old 12-18-10, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy-loves-Rabo View Post
s I haven't personally seen enough of these guys (suspect this is the case with the majority of the posters here, despite the constant hype ) to really judge if I like the individual rider or not.
No i havent seen that much of him. But im not saying he WILL be great, i simply threw his name into the ring. If you look at the op i said he might be better in gts than Sagan, Ebh, Phinney,tj ie the people many suggest will end up as gt riders. I think tj might become one, i dont have much hope for the others, but is it really that far fetched to suggest Henao might be up there too?

If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-18-10, 13:30

henao has great talent
he has every thing to succeed in europe.

i think the transition in europe is diffuicult for colombians as they are left alone by the teams.
duarte was signed by androni, and then left alone in a hotel near the small town of biella, northern italy , for a couple of month.
he was not able to stand that and he simply come back to colombia.
he is a very complete rider and , in the right environment , he can blow up the scene in europe.
i hope he will find the right mood in geox: he has the numbers and the right age to explode....

south american have particular attitudes: they need to have dreams , to feel supported and have "gana":if they have all this they are very strong.

staying another year with orgullo, henao is probably loosing an year.

i expect great thing from betancurt, with acqua e sapone. he is great rider, you'll see.

uran has his last great chance with sky: when he was young he was very often beaten by henao uphill. rigoberto is stronger in tt ( he was decent also on track) and he is more complete then sergio henao.
i hope he will be let free to make his road this year. if he fails , he has a future as super domestique,.
i hope that sky will not use him this year in this role , sacrifying him to some white pale wannabee...

pantano, quintano and atapuma are very young.
especially for the last two it will be great to make some experience with cafe de colombia in small races in europe: let them grow, and you will see...
Old 12-18-10, 13:32

Where do I sign?
Old 12-18-10, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by profff View Post
uran has his last great chance with sky: when he was young he was very often beaten by henao uphill. rigoberto is stronger in tt ( he was decent also on track) and he is more complete then sergio henao.
i hope he will be let free to make his road this year. if he fails , he has a future as super domestique,.
i hope that sky will not use him this year in this role , sacrifying him to some white pale wannabee...
why his last change? he's still young and if this year is not the great break trough, one good result in 2012 will get him contracts at at least 5 topteams for the 2013...
Especially his decent climbing in Tour 2009 and the 5th place at Lombardia 08(?) are very good. I hope he can play a role at the Ardennes, but usually there the competition is harder then Lombardia so to make the final cut is not that obvious. But he has at least 3 years where he will grow, maybe even more so don't doubt the guy too soon
Old 12-18-10, 16:26

Default Young Venezuelans to watch!

In addition to the hotshot colombians, like Henao, there are a couple of young venezuelans who could make a good go of it in Europe. Jose Alarcon finished second to a strong Rujano in the Vuelta Tachira this year and second at the Vuelta a Cuba. Jonathan Monsalve is another interesting rider who can sprint and climb and has done well in south America on gc and has put up some good results in the U23 in Italy.
Old 12-18-10, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenrunnwt View Post
In addition to the hotshot colombians, like Henao, there are a couple of young venezuelans who could make a good go of it in Europe. Jose Alarcon finished second to a strong Rujano in the Vuelta Tachira this year and second at the Vuelta a Cuba. Jonathan Monsalve is another interesting rider who can sprint and climb and has done well in south America on gc and has put up some good results in the U23 in Italy.
Well Monsalve has signed with Androni so he will be given opportunities to show his worth next season.
Old 12-18-10, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by profff View Post

Uran lost 9 minutes in Holland stage 2 and then just worked for Arroyo in the Giro.

Next year he is Skys only card to play if they get in. I think he can get a good result there.

And if Uran can get a good result, that might motivate his friend to come to europe too.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-18-10, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
why his last change? he's still young and if this year is not the great break trough, one good result in 2012 will get him contracts at at least 5 topteams for the 2013...
Especially his decent climbing in Tour 2009 and the 5th place at Lombardia 08(?) are very good. I hope he can play a role at the Ardennes, but usually there the competition is harder then Lombardia so to make the final cut is not that obvious. But he has at least 3 years where he will grow, maybe even more so don't doubt the guy too soon
it is true , he is still young.
but when he arrived in europe , he showed that the big expectations were well placed.
very well in suisse, in lombardy, great TT, strong in the climbs.
but then he had bad luck, horrible crashes , ilnesses, and he lost the way.
decent performances, but not at the height of what he showed in colombia and when he first arrived.
as i told you before, if colombians loose enthusiasm and dreams they loose a lot.
and teams usually do not wait for colombians.
imho he has the number to be an outstanding rider, but i fear that if he does not prove something this year, he will finish as a good helper when the road is going uphill.
Old 12-18-10, 20:57

jonathan monsalve had a great season in the U23 in italy. in particular he was very strong in the giro della valle d' aosta, the hardest stage race of the season.
he is very strong.
alarcon is supposed to go with movistar continental . maybe unzue plans to bring him to europe if he perfotms well in the south american season.