awkward - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Old 12-28-10, 09:32

Default awkward

"It's pretty weird because you'll be in the pain cave riding a line next to the rope and screw up. You look over and there's 40 people quietly staring at you, drinking beer and smoking cigars. I usually break the awkward silence by saying hello; it seems to go along way as I've managed to turn a few people into Ryan Iddings fans for the duration of the race. It's all a good experience - the learning curve is tough here and it's difficult to not let results get you down but you just keep on racing and trying to get better and that's really what it's about for now."

In the latest blog of Ryan Iddings. Funny stuff.
Old 12-28-10, 18:46

Send a message via Skype™ to GreggGermer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwibus View Post
"It's pretty weird because you'll be in the pain cave riding a line next to the rope and screw up. You look over and there's 40 people quietly staring at you, drinking beer and smoking cigars. I usually break the awkward silence by saying hello; it seems to go along way as I've managed to turn a few people into Ryan Iddings fans for the duration of the race. It's all a good experience - the learning curve is tough here and it's difficult to not let results get you down but you just keep on racing and trying to get better and that's really what it's about for now."

In the latest blog of Ryan Iddings. Funny stuff.
I could fill a whole book with the weird stuff that happens at bike races in Belgium ... it seems to draw out some ... lets say interesting people ... among the many people who come out to watch the racing.

My favorite was when random cigar smoking Belgian grabbed your leg with the hand that wasn't hold a beer while you wait to register in the smoky haze of a bar that hasn't seen an update from 1970. He then stares at you and goes "ah, sterke beenen!" ... it's kinda creepy.
Old 12-28-10, 20:37

Very cool and funny blog.

I wanted to start a thread on why no Americans seem to make it here, since there seems to be a pretty live CX scene over there.

This blog answers most of the questions.
This quote sums it up: "In the US you can have a crappy day and get around the same place, here 1 small screw up and 20 dudes will go around you."
Old 12-29-10, 15:21

Apparently the level of CX isn't that high in the US allthough very lively. I think it's good that some of their riders come to Belgium to gain some toughness. I'm sure 1 of them will eventually be able to reach the top.
Old 12-29-10, 15:45

1 of them almost got world champion, some years ago
Old 12-29-10, 17:03

Default lively, for now

Quote:
Apparently the level of CX isn't that high in the US allthough very lively.
Right now, it's in a growth phase. This will end soon for two reasons:
1. UCI has changed their way of developing U.S. 'cross racing from quantity to quality.
2. USAC's (USA's UCI proxy)CEO actually attended 'cross nationals. That means his boss Weisel is interested in 'developing' cross. Whenever USAC gets involved, less and lower quality racing is sure to follow.

Quote:
I think it's good that some of their riders come to Belgium to gain some toughness.
This is a must for any Yankee. It's very expensive to do, so I don't know how it can happen with USAC making things even more expensive with their management/housing fees.

Hopefully, this will *finally* be Katie Compton's year to collect some rainbow stripes. She's got what it takes. Now the stars have to align in her favor.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 12-29-10, 17:21

I couldn't agree more re Katie Compton - she certainly deserves a striped jersey at some point in her career. It would be nice if she got one this year to help her pick up enough money to keep racing now that Planet Bike's new owner's have decided that their investment in her is not worth it. WTF on that btw?

With regard to the male US riders, there is only one who is worth their cx credentials and that is Compton's team mate, Jonathan Page. He has the credibility to ride and race in Europe as today's 9th place proves (the best male US result of the season in Europe btw).

As to the rest of the US males, it is risible that they are ranked in the UCI top 20. The UCI has made a grade A f*ck up of the event points allocation this year that has enabled the Americans to race at home and amass ranking points. I note that the top UCI-ranked male Americans chose to stay at home and bask in the 'glory' of their Nats rides rather than try to prepare to not be totally embarrassed at St Wendel in a months time. What a joke.
Old 12-29-10, 20:19

In didn't notice the Eurocamp blogs until now (i did read them last year).
But i don't think i can find all the blogs!!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs This page only gives the latest blogs: are there more, or is this all?
Old 01-05-11, 00:34

Default links to blogs

You can go to the EuroCrossCamp website at www.eurocrosscamp.com and you can also follow what's going on with our facebook page - EuroCrossCamp. There is plenty more interesting reads, especially this one by Sean Babcock. http://www.eurocrosscamp.com/2011/01...-sean-babcock/
Old 01-18-11, 21:46

Katie Compton all the way this year!

On the men's side we'll have to disagree. I'm a Tim Johnson fan. I'll be first to agree that he is not top 5 or perhaps top 10 in the world, but certainly top 20 is reasonable.