[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012? - Page 53 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 08-17-11, 00:47

Another March signing confirmed:

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/rising-dutch-star
Old 08-17-11, 00:55

Gosh your quick, time stamp on here and twitter reckon you posted within 3 minutes of the announcement.

I wonder when we will get a "surprise" signing? With this form, they may claim Teklehaimanot as one picked from the ether.
Old 08-17-11, 01:16

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

Regarding new teams. I imagine that at some point the supply of new teams coming in must dry up in some way so that we get a little more stability. We've had three years now with first Sky, Cervelo and Radioshack, then Geox and Leopard (and Pegasus that tried) and now GreenEdge that have all basically bought a team from scratch (more or less). This can't possibly go on forever and I bet it won't. Though I guess as long as people see that it's possible to do it that way they'll keep trying.

Then again we have already heard of the plan to create a New Zealand team like this as well and I know there are people with the same ambition with regards to a norwegian team as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it” - Max Planck
Old 08-17-11, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
I don't understand? Having teams closely aligned to the Olympics cos they're borderline national teams helps the UCI control things?

But the thing is - what was wrong with the current method? It's not like Australians weren't being supported in their professional ambitions. LOTS of Australians in the pro péloton.

And how many of these Jayco-AIS youngsters are you expecting to see on the squad?
Lots of valid points, but I would note some established/long standing ProConti teams wouldn't have the commitment from sponsors needed for the step up to PT (and we've seen from HTC that finding big sponsors in cycling isn't necessarily easy).

Responding to the 3 quotes above (sorry, Im a muppet so don't know how to split quotes)

It would be my view the borderline national teams are closely aligned to Olympic ambitions of the nation (not just TdF), and with gold medal dreams, the UCI is the link between the national squads and the IOC as the recognised administrator of the sport. The politics of IOC/UCI/National teams may even be more entangled than the UCI/PT!

There are lots of Australian pro's in the peloton, but its not always the case that their ambitions are being supported. There's a long history of this, (and its not just Australian's who suffer from it) but an example would be Cadel at Lotto where he noted when VdB was rising up that he felt the team/sponsor would prefer to have a Belgian win a stage than have him finish on the podium. A rider like Wes Sulzberger probably deserves a few more chances then he's currently getting (and this predates his being linked to GE), I'm not suggesting he should have been on the TdF roster, but he deserves a bit more support than some of the riders in his team who seem to proceed him. Ditto Simon Clarke.

I would only expect probably 3 (4 most) riders to come up from the AIS team in the first year (for as you say, too many would weaken the squad), and probably be Durbridge (U23 TT runner up), Hepburn and maybe Dyball or Lang. There's been a number of riders who've stepped straight from AIS to PT (without GE forcing it) including Bobridge and the Meyer brothers (all of who's road results have been held back by track ambitions, but have all claimed road wins since the jump), Matthews (as you pointed out) and goes back as far as Jens Voight and Stuey coming out of the fore-runner of the Jayco squad many many years ago (Jens first team was ZVVZ-AIS after T-Mobile showed no interest).

Last edited by PCutter; 08-17-11 at 03:52.
Old 08-17-11, 05:13

This whole dribs and drab announcements is just getting stupid.

Anyone who is into cycling spends time on forums ie muppets like us probably know a lot of the team. Where as those with a July interest will not know who this guys are anyway.

Announce the team already.
Old 08-17-11, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
How many of the riders that come from Jayco-AIS are ready to go straight to the ProTour? The occasional exceptional ones, certainly (Matthews springs to mind). Others will either have to go by a circuitous route (eg McEwen) or just blindly hope somebody picks them up.

And how many of these Jayco-AIS youngsters are you expecting to see on the squad? If they're going to be an élite team justifying a WT contract, I'd expect 5 at the most, with a view to picking a few up as stagiares and into years 2 and 3. If we're talking a significant proportion of the team being unproven Australian youngsters, I feel they'd be better served with a year at ProContinental to adapt, not having the needs of a long and arduous ProTour season forced upon them, unless we want them to end up like Remmert Wielinga.
I think they'll just take Durbridge and Hepburn both who are top quality young riders. Durbridge rode a better TT then Phinney at Geelong last yr and he was 19 at the time. If they just take the cream of the NRS there will be one or two riders pushing into the team each year which would be great for healthy competition. That means a higher standard for GE and more riders in other pro tour teams.

I never think it will be at a point where the young talent coming through is soo good that practically the whole team could be Australian but if it does eventuate so be it. I like the way Euskatel and the French teams are anyway

Quote:
It's a system that's far too easy to exploit with money, in my opinion.
100% Correct. There is a problem with the system not the teams with lots of money...
Old 08-17-11, 05:17

How the help do you ride a better ITT but finish slower ?

Ride from point a to point b in the least amount of time. Person who did this rode the best ITT
Old 08-17-11, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy View Post

Ride from point a to point b in the least amount of time. Person who did this rode the best ITT
Probably by being 0.035kmh slower in conditions which were suggested to have a greater negative effect than 0.035kmh.
Old 08-17-11, 05:44

Quote:

Yeah Phinney rode in the dry and LD rode in the wet and drizzle. Its proven that it takes longer to ride a given distance in the wet with an identical power output than in the dry. Durbridge also was very strong at the TDU this year
Old 08-17-11, 06:31

While you can see it both ways - I just don´t buy the who would have could have arguments when it comes to cycling analysis, too much of in imo.

Last edited by just some guy; 08-17-11 at 06:56.