Katusha Anti-doping - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 06-07-09, 18:01

Default Katusha Anti-doping

http://velonews.com/article/92918/th...new-team-rules

I like what Katusha is doing, if you test positive you get a fine of 5 times your annual salary. I'm also surprised that Robbie is protesting as I thought he was strongly against doping. But kudos to Katusha more teams need to follow them
Old 06-07-09, 18:23
Thoughtforfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciep10 View Post
http://velonews.com/article/92918/th...new-team-rules

I like what Katusha is doing, if you test positive you get a fine of 5 times your annual salary. I'm also surprised that Robbie is protesting as I thought he was strongly against doping. But kudos to Katusha more teams need to follow them
They're all anti-doping aren't they?...........Larry Craig was anti-gay....
Old 06-07-09, 19:48

I read it as being they're anti-getting-caught.

The real teams that are anti-doping will provide an avenue for the rider to get clean and get on the straight and narrow. Not outcast them to be on the dole with no job and less money than they started out with. I'm thinking the Anti-Doping teams/people need to really think about what they're saying before they write it up and post it. The teams just want to distance themselves from any backlash for fear of loss of sponsors, which leads me to believe they know exactly what is going on.
Old 06-07-09, 20:44

Robbie McEwen, with Paolo Bettini, also refused to sign the UCI charter on doping because of the financial punishment clause. Robbie has stated that he has no problems with the rest of the charter, and presumably Katusha's efforts as well, but he is concerned that riders will be falsely accused and suffer more than losing out financially. Look at the litany of riders implicated in Operation Puerto that are now no longer riding professionally, yet these riders were not tried or found guilty. It is not fair to the riders either to lose their livelihood and profession on unsubstantiated rumours.

While I understand the Katusha are just protecting themselves from being brought into disrepute if their cyclists are found positive, I also doubt that any guilty rider has had to financially compensate the UCI after being found guilty of doping. It doesn't seem too legally binding.
Old 06-07-09, 21:45
Administrator

I'd even be so bold to say many teams that have "anti-doping" programs test their athletes so the athletes won't get caught at doping controls, and cost the team humiliation, embarrassment, money, etc. Not so the athletes don't dope.

A team that's really anti-doping would not only implement serious profiling of not only HCT, but hematology testing of blood volume, plus power outputs. They would also have an honor code of some sort, and respect whistleblowers and such programs. Working with athletes to reward them for coming clean. Plus supporting following up on the athletes confessions. As it is now, riders that confess are treated far worse by the UCI, teams, other riders, and even many fans, than those that those that unrepentantly dope with no limitations, and no remorse. Read this article about a familiar name if you aren't sure.
Old 06-07-09, 21:49
Thoughtforfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I'd even be so bold to say many teams that have "anti-doping" programs test their athletes so the athletes won't get caught at doping controls, and cost the team humiliation, embarrassment, money, etc. Not so the athletes don't dope.

A team that's really anti-doping would not only implement serious profiling of not only HCT, but hematology testing of blood volume, plus power outputs. They would also have an honor code of some sort, and respect whistleblowers and such programs. Working with athletes to reward them for coming clean. Plus supporting following up on the athletes confessions. As it is now, riders that confess are treated far worse by the UCI, teams, other riders, and even many fans, than those that those that unrepentantly dope with no limitations, and no remorse. Read this article about a familiar name if you aren't sure.
Now that is just cynical*

*"cynical" was recently re-defined by Websters as meaning "true"
Old 06-07-09, 21:52

I don't blame them; that's ridiculous. I wouldn't sign it either.
Old 06-07-09, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
Look at the litany of riders implicated in Operation Puerto that are now no longer riding professionally, yet these riders were not tried or found guilty. It is not fair to the riders either to lose their livelihood and profession on unsubstantiated rumours.
Yet look at the list of riders still racing that were implicated and procecuted and did time. Then the list of those that got off scott free (in my eyes anyway).
Old 06-07-09, 22:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtforfood View Post
Now that is just cynical*.
I'm wondering if someone will actually come along here and a refute what I'm asserting.

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
Yet look at the list of riders still racing that were implicated and procecuted and did time. Then the list of those that got off scott free (in my eyes anyway).
And those like Koldo Gil who offered his DNA to compare, as no team will sign him. The UCI rejected his offer and he's been blacklisted. Or how about Roberto Heras, who no team will touch, even though he long ago served his suspension and he seems pretty contrite about his past? Or how about the other dozens and dozens of blood bags and names in ledgers still never really looked into?
Old 06-07-09, 22:24
Thoughtforfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
<cough> <cough> Allan Davis <cough>