Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-29-11, 16:44

Default Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread

What do ya'll think about his chances this take GT this year? Is he going to be riding the Tour? I really believe he can win the Vuelta.
Old 01-29-11, 17:04

If he focuses completely on the Vuelta I think he could very well Top-5 or even podium, but to win... I don't think so (regardless of whether or not Contador will ride the Vuelta as is being speculated). He's still not enough of a climber to stick with the top men in that regard, and none of the GTs this year look particilarly friendly for the time trialists of the peloton.

He certainly wont win a GT this year if he throws everything at le Tour in July and then tries to tack on the Vuelta as desert as he has done the past few year. Almost noone in the peloton is strong enough to do that, and Kreuziger doesn't yet belong to the select group of those who could.

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
Old 01-29-11, 17:10

I think this discussion could be about riders who would actually be able to win a GT this year. There aren't that many and don't think Kreuziger is one of them yet.

Contador, Schleck, Basso, Nibali, S Sanchez, Menchov, maybe Anton or even Ricco...
A lot depends on Contador's ban length and if Menchov will stay at Geox..
Old 01-29-11, 17:11

He is giving the Giro a go, I think he can do pretty well actually, he sounds very confident about it.
http://astana.lu/news_x.php?ID_news=195
Old 01-29-11, 17:16

I think he's going to be a contender for the Giro, hes not gonna ride the tour. Im doubting he can take on Menchov and/or Sastre in the Giro though.

No idea from who is going to ride the Tour is going to ride the Vuelta too, as far as I know Gesink might ride the Vuelta but isnt sure if hes going to ride that for GC.
Old 01-29-11, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
If he focuses completely on the Vuelta I think he could very well Top-5 or even podium, but to win... I don't think so (regardless of whether or not Contador will ride the Vuelta as is being speculated). He's still not enough of a climber to stick with the top men in that regard, and none of the GTs this year look particilarly friendly for the time trialists of the peloton.

He certainly wont win a GT this year if he throws everything at le Tour in July and then tries to tack on the Vuelta as desert as he has done the past few year. Almost noone in the peloton is strong enough to do that, and Kreuziger doesn't yet belong to the select group of those who could.
Meh, I didn't think Nibali was capable of winning a GT either, and TBH and don't really rate him that much higher than Kreuziger. I think a little less race days will do Kreuziger much good. We'll see how he goes at the Giro... he probably couldn't have picked a worse GT than this year's Giro to go for the win, but the crazy steep ascents aren't in Nibali's favour either, so we'll see.
Old 01-29-11, 17:30

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

He's still very young so it's hard to expect too much of him but he certainly is not someone who should be discounted before the race starts. I would say that his chances of finishing the Giro in the top 5 are fairly high with an outside chance of winning it.

Everyone now lists Nibali as a top GT contender but remember that before last year Nibali and Kreuziger were very equal in ability and it was only in the last year that Nibali took a step forward. There is nothing that says that Kreuziger can't make the same type of improvement this year or the years to come.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it - Max Planck
Old 01-29-11, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsve View Post
Everyone now lists Nibali as a top GT contender but remember that before last year Nibali and Kreuziger were very equal in ability and it was only in the last year that Nibali took a step forward. There is nothing that says that Kreuziger can't make the same type of improvement this year or the years to come.
Yeah, exactly. Kreuziger has shown in the last 2 TdFs that he isn't lacking 'what it takes' to compete consistently for 3 weeks (as opposed to the 1-week stage races where he has definitely shone) by getting top 10s. That is very good, he just didn't have the edge to keep with the best climbers on the hardest climbs. Granted this year's Giro is OMG hard, but he's no slouch in the climbing department, he's just not a memorable attacker like Ricco, Contador, Schleck. And he's only 24 so he's still developing.

In response to the question of 'who can win a GT', maybe even refining it to 'who can win one that hasn't yet?', I would think the lead contender for this year would be Ricco (I'm treating ASchleck as having already 'won'). Then Anton, then Samu. After that, guys like Kreuz or Gesink I think could win one, but need some more time.

Anyway, clearly I hope Kreuz has a Nibali-like year this year, because 839 points is pretty expensive in CQ terms and I want return on my risky investment
Old 01-29-11, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Meh, I didn't think Nibali was capable of winning a GT either, and TBH and don't really rate him that much higher than Kreuziger. I think a little less race days will do Kreuziger much good. We'll see how he goes at the Giro... he probably couldn't have picked a worse GT than this year's Giro to go for the win, but the crazy steep ascents aren't in Nibali's favour either, so we'll see.
He didn't exactly do badly last year, you know.

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
Old 01-29-11, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
He didn't exactly do badly last year, you know.
He did and he didnt. lost 3 minutes on Zoncolan but stayed with Basso and Scarponi on Mortirolo.

Cracked in Andor, Pena Cabarga and Alto de Cottobello but put beat everyone on the steepest sections of Bola, to everyones surprise finishing not a second behind Mosquera, wooping Purito even.

Very very strange.

I was surprised also to see Nibali so much better than Roman. I was convinced Kreuziger was, with the extra year in his favour as well, the better gt bet. Wins in TDS at 22 and Romandie 23, + 9th in the Tour at 23. Then again, i may have been decieved by the positions at 09 Tour. Nibali was 7th and Roman 9th but Nibali was 7 minutes ahead actually. This a Tour with not many chances to get big time.

His superdomestiquing at Vuelta was good, even if it made much of the race boring.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 01-29-11 at 19:37.