Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-29-11, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombus View Post
What do ya'll think about his chances this take GT this year? Is he going to be riding the Tour? I really believe he can win the Vuelta.
Kreuziger showed an unbelievable level almost immediately after turning pro, but In the last 2 years He hasn't developed as much as I had expected.

He has the whole package, only question remains is, when will he turn it into gold? and remember it's not a given thing that it will ever happen.

This year will be very important for Kreuziger, he needs to show everybody that he is ready to take step forward. I don't think he has to win the vuelta, but if he manage to podium it will send a strong signal.
Old 01-29-11, 19:43

I don't see him winning a GT anytime soon. I just don't think he climbs well enough at this point. Among non-GT winners, I give Schleck, Sanchez, and Evans the best shot, with Ricco, Gesink, JoRod and maybe Anton and JVB2 in the next group. One of the problems Kreuz has is that the Tour probably has the best parcours for him but also the best competition.

Of course he could always have a leap in performance and make a podium somewhere but I don't see it happening this year.
Old 01-29-11, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylew View Post
I don't see him winning a GT anytime soon. I just don't think he climbs well enough at this point. Among non-GT winners, I give Schleck, Sanchez, and Evans the best shot, with Ricco, Gesink, JoRod and maybe Anton and JVB2 in the next group. One of the problems Kreuz has is that the Tour probably has the best parcours for him but also the best competition.

Of course he could always have a leap in performance and make a podium somewhere but I don't see it happening this year.
Unfortunately Samu is going to have to make do with that olympic gold. Hes 33 years old and is basing his second consecutive season on a Tour podium. He wasted the rest of his form on the Vuelta a Burgos. Even with the tour fatigue, he could have won that Vuelta last year. But he didnt enter it and it doesnt look like hes going to this year either.

The year after, Contador and Valverde will be back, and Samu is going to be a year older. Unless Schlecklet has misfortune this year, Samu just isnt going to be a gt winner.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-29-11, 19:57
Administrator

No GT this year but he is progressing nicely. Leaving Liqui was also a good move looking forward. I expect him to move into the stable of possible GT winners in the next few years.
Old 01-29-11, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
He did and he didnt. lost 3 minutes on Zoncolan but stayed with Basso and Scarponi on Mortirolo.

Cracked in Andor, Pena Cabarga and Alto de Cottobello but put beat everyone on the steepest sections of Bola, to everyones surprise finishing not a second behind Mosquera, wooping Purito even.

Very very strange.
I think sometimes we forget Nibali wasn't planning on the Giro and was only added when Pelli got suspended. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
but the crazy steep ascents aren't in Nibali's favour either, so we'll see.
I've heard people hear say that, but I'm not convinced yet.
Old 01-29-11, 20:21

i have my doubts about roman.i just don't see him there climbing with the top guys.not even in this year's giro,i think tiralongo will go for it and won't wait him.
Old 01-29-11, 21:20

I think Kreuziger needs one solid year of learning, adjusting, and getting stronger while acting in the position of team leader in a GT.

A great season, in my opinion, would be a stage win or two along the way to a GT top-5--and preferably a Giro podium.

From there, he and his supporting cast could build with confidence towards a potential GT win the following year. After so much time riding with both the reduced pressure and the constrained opportunities of being third or fourth or fifth man at Liquigas, Kreuziger might need a transition year.

Long term, I'd much rather see him winning GTs than baby Schleck.
Old 01-29-11, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
He didn't exactly do badly last year, you know.
He did very average on the steepest MTF of them all. Losing 3 minutes on Zoncolan, that's not top contender stuff. He's alright on the steep climbs, don't get me wrong, but so is Kreuziger. Just not spectacular.
Old 01-29-11, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergmonkey View Post
I think Kreuziger needs one solid year of learning, adjusting, and getting stronger while acting in the position of team leader in a GT.

A great season, in my opinion, would be a stage win or two along the way to a GT top-5--and preferably a Giro podium.

From there, he and his supporting cast could build with confidence towards a potential GT win the following year. After so much time riding with both the reduced pressure and the constrained opportunities of being third or fourth or fifth man at Liquigas, Kreuziger might need a transition year.

Long term, I'd much rather see him winning GTs than baby Schleck.
+1
well said

I really like Roman, I hope he has great future.
Old 01-29-11, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
He did and he didnt. lost 3 minutes on Zoncolan but stayed with Basso and Scarponi on Mortirolo.

Cracked in Andor, Pena Cabarga and Alto de Cottobello but put beat everyone on the steepest sections of Bola, to everyones surprise finishing not a second behind Mosquera, wooping Purito even.

Very very strange.

I was surprised also to see Nibali so much better than Roman. I was convinced Kreuziger was, with the extra year in his favour as well, the better gt bet. Wins in TDS at 22 and Romandie 23, + 9th in the Tour at 23. Then again, i may have been decieved by the positions at 09 Tour. Nibali was 7th and Roman 9th but Nibali was 7 minutes ahead actually. This a Tour with not many chances to get big time.

His superdomestiquing at Vuelta was good, even if it made much of the race boring.
I think the improvement in Nibali's performance from early in the Vuelta to later can be attributed to his ability to adapt. Early in the Vuelta when the attacks were coming hard and fast he was trying to respond in kind and consequently blowing up. He got smart and began responding at a more measrued tempo instead of trying to match and maintain the tempo of attackers like Anton, Rodriguez and Mosquera. Like Evans and Basso he's a diesel.