How does my VO2 compare to pro cyclists? - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-26-11, 11:00

Default How does my VO2 compare to pro cyclists?

Last week I had my VO2 max test done, and it was at 65, so how does that compare to the guys in the peloton, or is it indeed quite good. or normal?

I'm not sure if this should be in the form and fitness subforum

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
Old 02-26-11, 11:05

Way better then average, I think that is about 50. Indurain and co. were about 90.

So you're no genetic freak, but you aren't a donkey either! No idea what the average at pro tour level is - 75-80?
Old 02-26-11, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1985 View Post
Last week I had my VO2 max test done, and it was at 65, so how does that compare to the guys in the peloton, or is it indeed quite good. or normal?

Its at the lower end for an athlete, but very good for a non athlete.
I would be surprised to find a pro cyclist with Vo2 max less than early 70s.

More importantly, if you are 6ft 5' and 100kg then it is a probably not such a good reading, if you are 5ft 2' and 60kg then you are looking good.

Last edited by andy1234; 02-26-11 at 11:21.
Old 02-26-11, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1234 View Post

More importantly, if you are 6ft 5' and 100kg then it is a probably not such a good reading, if you are 5ft 2' and 60kg then you are looking good.
Vo2max is expressed per kilo, hence if he did weight 100 kg that would be an awesome 6.5 L.min-1... which would be a very high reading. Loose another 30 kg and we could be dealing with a champion!
Old 02-26-11, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1234 View Post

Wrong way around dude. VO2 max is normally recorded in ml/kg/min. The heavier you are and the higher the figure the more aerobic capacity you have. Many rowers have higher output aerobically than cyclists, problem is they are heavier. The reading is given and then divided by your weight to show VO2 max. A lighter person has less to gain aerobically if they drop weight. Someone like Cancellara, if he lost weight would have a monstral VO2max, just like the 100kg guy. He drops 10-15 kg, it would be in the 80s easily, which is achievable. the 60kg guy cannot drop that weight. He's near his genetic potential.

Simon Gerrans has one of 80. An Olympic Aussie female triathlete has one of 68, same too with an Aussie Olympic Gold medal rower. All taken at the VIS Craig. Yours is pretty high actually. Cadel allegedly has one of 88. Lance's is 81, 82 max, it was always changing. Basso's has done the same...his is 80, 81 as well. Hence why I've always said Cadel is better than Basso clean. His engine is bigger and guess what, Sassi said so. Lemond had one of 92-94, depending on his weight and where his training was at. Hinault said his was 92. Indurain's is reported as 88. I heard a rumour Floyd's was 90...but I'm not sure. VO2max means a great deal over 3 weeks.

One other thing Craig, do you know what your haematocrit level is? If it is over 44, I'd say over 46, then you'd be a pain in the **** on a group training ride to drop. Either way dude, you are tons fitter than the average person. Go to your local gym and you'd wipe the floor of most people in any aerobic utilising class(es).
Old 02-26-11, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
Vo2max is expressed per kilo, hence if he did weight 100 kg that would be an awesome 6.5 L.min-1... which would be a very high reading. Loose another 30 kg and we could be dealing with a champion!
Oops, you are of course correct. I am confusing absolute with normalised.
Weight loss is however no more possible from a lean 100kg athlete than it is from a 60kg lean athlete.
The limitation in cycling terms, is the frontal area of a larger rider.

Last edited by andy1234; 02-26-11 at 13:07.
Old 02-26-11, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galic Ho View Post
Wrong way around dude. VO2 max is normally recorded in ml/kg/min. The heavier you are and the higher the figure the more aerobic capacity you have. Many rowers have higher output aerobically than cyclists, problem is they are heavier. The reading is given and then divided by your weight to show VO2 max. A lighter person has less to gain aerobically if they drop weight. Someone like Cancellara, if he lost weight would have a monstral VO2max, just like the 100kg guy. He drops 10-15 kg, it would be in the 80s easily, which is achievable. the 60kg guy cannot drop that weight. He's near his genetic potential.

Simon Gerrans has one of 80. An Olympic Aussie female triathlete has one of 68, same too with an Aussie Olympic Gold medal rower. All taken at the VIS Craig. Yours is pretty high actually. Cadel allegedly has one of 88. Lance's is 81, 82 max, it was always changing. Basso's has done the same...his is 80, 81 as well. Hence why I've always said Cadel is better than Basso clean. His engine is bigger and guess what, Sassi said so. Lemond had one of 92-94, depending on his weight and where his training was at. Hinault said his was 92. Indurain's is reported as 88. I heard a rumour Floyd's was 90...but I'm not sure. VO2max means a great deal over 3 weeks.

One other thing Craig, do you know what your haematocrit level is? If it is over 44, I'd say over 46, then you'd be a pain in the **** on a group training ride to drop. Either way dude, you are tons fitter than the average person. Go to your local gym and you'd wipe the floor of most people in any aerobic utilising class(es).
Yes, ignore what I said see above.

Last edited by andy1234; 02-26-11 at 12:48.
Old 02-26-11, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1985 View Post

Well Thor Hushovd for example has around 78 while EBH has 87.

Then there is Dag Otto Lauritzen who measured a VO2 max of 60 at the age of 54.
Old 02-26-11, 14:35

vo2 is of course important but there are many factors to consider. look at cavendish he has a very very bad vo2 but again not the only factor to good cycling.
Old 02-26-11, 14:41

Yeah, I think 65 is a lot better than "good for a non-athlete". It is not in the stratosphere of 'elite' national-class athlete, but for weekend warrior citizen athlete-types, it is very very respectable.

I think w/ the right gear, you could go far. Anybody know what Papp's was? Now there's a good example of a guy 'punching above his weight' due to the gear...