Giro 2012: Route Rumours / Our wishes - Page 11 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: What do you think about Alpe D'Huez in the Giro?
Awesome! 22 12.43%
Great news 41 23.16%
Not that awesome compared to other italian climbs 78 44.07%
Will be the warm-up before the real mountains 16 9.04%
Will be considered as a flat stage by RCS 20 11.30%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-11, 14:51

As a new member, I will start my contribution to this forum by some wishes to the next Giro.

First, I think they would have better finish in France for Giro than l'Alpe, which is kinda overused by le Tour. For exemple, a "tappone" with Sampeyre, Agnello, Izoard and finish line on top of Granon would fit better, with that last terrible climb illogicly forgotten since the 80's.

Beside, I would like to see again San Pellegrino in Alpe with a finish at Il Ciocco, a classic stage in the 80's Giros.
Old 06-02-11, 06:28

Another possible way to get to Alpe d'Huez would be to start in Aosta, with the stage going over the Colle San Carlo, Col de Petit San Bernard, Col de la Madeleine and the Col du Glandon before the finish on the Alpe.
KTM = Kristoff The Magnificent
Old 06-02-11, 09:23

it is time the giro brings back in the spotlight the north western alps, in piemonte and especilly in the cuneo district: fauniera,esischie, sampeyre, agnello, lombarda.
these are the hardest climb that can be enchained in various way.
they are longer and steeper than the dolomites climbs, the roads are rougher and they are high ( fauniera over 2500m, agnello 2650).
the only climbs in the dolomites that can compair to these are fedaia and giau, may be passo delle erbe.

i hope that they go back there with good enchaiment of cols, may be in the french alps...is very easy to enchain lombarda with bonette and maddalena /larches; agnello with izoard monginevro and a finish in sestriere and so on.
there is no other country where you can find sequence of difficult, long demanding cols in europe as in the norh western part of italy.
Old 06-02-11, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentius borealis View Post
Another possible way to get to Alpe d'Huez would be to start in Aosta, with the stage going over the Colle San Carlo, Col de Petit San Bernard, Col de la Madeleine and the Col du Glandon before the finish on the Alpe.
Ouch
Old 06-02-11, 09:45

And (unless I am missing something) such a stage will be over 240km long.
Old 06-02-11, 09:48

It's certainly time for Focusing a bit more in the Alps again. Dolomitis have been really dominating the last decade.
Old 06-02-11, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by profff View Post
it is time the giro brings back in the spotlight the north western alps, in piemonte and especilly in the cuneo district: fauniera,esischie, sampeyre, agnello, lombarda.
these are the hardest climb that can be enchained in various way.
they are longer and steeper than the dolomites climbs, the roads are rougher and they are high ( fauniera over 2500m, agnello 2650).
the only climbs in the dolomites that can compair to these are fedaia and giau, may be passo delle erbe.

i hope that they go back there with good enchaiment of cols, may be in the french alps...is very easy to enchain lombarda with bonette and maddalena /larches; agnello with izoard monginevro and a finish in sestriere and so on.
there is no other country where you can find sequence of difficult, long demanding cols in europe as in the norh western part of italy.
There's more to the Eastern Alps than the Dolomites, though.

There's the Mortirolo (1850m), Gavia (2620m), Stelvio (2760m) and Schafseck (2270m) sequence.

Or the Pennes (2210m), Monte Giovo (2095m) followed by the Passo del Rombo (2490m) and Tiefenbachferner (2830m, almost 10% on average) one-two punch.
Old 06-02-11, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
There's more to the Eastern Alps than the Dolomites, though.

There's the Mortirolo (1850m), Gavia (2620m), Stelvio (2760m) and Schafseck (2270m) sequence.

Or the Pennes (2210m), Monte Giovo (2095m) followed by the Passo del Rombo (2490m) and Tiefenbachferner (2830m, almost 10% on average) one-two punch.
the hardest pennes side is from vipiteno, so it cannot be followed by the one two giovo-rombo and road to the glacier from solden.
i have done the one two giovo rombo and it is hard .
but solden is in austria, so it is not italy.

anyway, agnello and fauniera are harder than the rombo, at least for my legs , ....giovo is a very nice climb, first place where pantani attacked and showed himself in the giro, but it si not comparable to the climbs i mentioned about the western alps.

anyway, you are right, the eastern alps are beautiful places for cycling.
but mortirolo has peen proposed a lot of time recently, and i would like better to see the stelvio well placed in a stage and not faraway to the finish.
gavia has been done recently quite often and the downhill from there is very scary, worse than crostis maybe.

so , climbs must be done quite often to become mythical, it is true, but there is also a need for alternating and that it is definitely possible in italy.

another factor to consider about giro route is that yesterday it snowed in sestriere ( 2090 m) about 20 cm and the finestre stage could have become another gavia hampsten mode stage just a week later!!
Old 06-02-11, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
And (unless I am missing something) such a stage will be over 240km long.
At around 240km with the climbs involved, it'd possibly be even too hard for the Giro, although having a stage to Courchevel via Colle San Carlo and Col de Petit St Bernard, with a Madeleine/Glandon/Alpe d'Huez stage the next day would be a good alternative.
KTM = Kristoff The Magnificent
Old 06-02-11, 12:09

Give them 240km and the next day is a rest day, or somehow make a flat stage to rest their legs.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.