Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 06-17-11, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmk_RoI View Post
They're usually badly written. And if you can't learn to ride in traffic yourself you shouldn't be allowed own a bicycle.
Oh dear - I am going to take the Jobst Brandt line here. You ARE an idiot. Or, at least, you are defending your idiocy. You didn't learn to drive a car by yourself. You can no more learn, by yourself, to correctly manage traffic on a bicycle than you would a car. If anything, it is more important for a bicyclist to spend time learning about proper traffic techniques - just like it is for a motorcyclist. There are techniques to learn for managing a bicycle in traffic that will save your life - and they are not obvious. If you have learned all your traffic technique by yourself, then you are almost certainly missing knowledge that could save your life.

If, on the other hand, you learned by observing other knowledgeable riders, you may be farther ahead. But you might still also be missing critical techniques that could save your life. Just as if your father and his friends taught you to drive a car.

Saying you do things differently in "Eurp" is also patent nonsense. Many countries in Europe, but not all, have more bicycling traffic, and thus have more experienced cyclists, than in the US - but that isn't really different. Now, if you are living in Saudi Arabia - then I would accept that they "do things different" - given that the drivers there will often completely ignore traffic regulations entirely.
Old 06-18-11, 16:44

Go to the second hand book shops, you never know what you'll find.
Old 06-20-11, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeas View Post
Just reading the new David Millar book 'Racing Through The Dark'
excellant book and opens up the dirty world of Pro Cycling.
Also any of Andrew Jennings books on the Olympic Committee and the corupt world of Sport, you can substitute the UCI instead of the Olympic Commitee.
Not sure I agree
Old 06-20-11, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm View Post
Pop quiz... under what conditions do you take a lane controlling position rather than a lane sharing position, and why?
Try that in English and I might just answer.
Old 06-20-11, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
You didn't learn to drive a car by yourself.
Nope and I didn't learn to drive reading a book either.
Old 06-21-11, 06:52

Hi fmk, love your blog on podiumcafe. i think you've read/reviewed most of the books i own or have read. maybe give chris boardman's complete book of cycling a go? it's a bit weird - half autobiography, half training manual - but worth a read. I found a copy in ballymun library a while ago if you're in the dublin area.
Old 06-22-11, 21:43

Can't say as Boardman ever really fired my fuse. Much prefer someone like this week's subject - Bernard Hinault. Those two Tours, 85 and 86, rock.
Old 06-22-11, 22:02

Matt Rendell's 'Kings of the Mountains' - a real labour of love, and entirely original material.
Old 06-24-11, 23:45

Here's a cycling bookshelf (two books missing)*

*Missing are French Revolutions by Tim Moore and Tour de Force by Daniel Coyle - both on extended loan.

Last edited by Mambo95; 06-25-11 at 12:36.
Old 06-25-11, 00:28

If I had to pick three books to start a cycling collection they would be :

The Rider - Tim Crabbe

Wonderfully written book by a person who has thought deeply about cycling and who does the best that I think that has ben done to explain the the psychology of competition. Who has not raced and thought they had the sprint only to have someone come through in the last few pedal strokes.

The Escape Artist - Matt Seaton

A very human story that most people with a family and job can relate to. A great way to put life and cyling into perspective and to develop an understanding of how they compliment each other.

French Revolutions - Tim Moore

Really fun and well written and the book I would want to read if I was laid up with a broken leg to cheer me up.

The above would give you a pretty good idea of where to go from there. "Put me back on my bike" would be close to the final three as would Dan Coyle's Armstrong book, but you cant really go wrong with the three outlined.