Samuel Samu Sanchez official awesomness thread. - Page 52 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 09-16-12, 20:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
6th in LBL in 2003 actually, but that's the only Sanchez result I will not believe.
And 4th in 2004.
Old 09-16-12, 22:01

Quote:
6th in LBL in 2003 actually, but that's the only Sanchez result I will not believe.
And the two podiums in la Vuelta (2007 and 2009)?
Old 09-17-12, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post
And the two podiums in la Vuelta (2007 and 2009)?
Don't know. In 2003 and early 2004 doping was common practice in Euskaltel. Him getting good results back then (even though he was outside the time limit on the Alpe d'Huez in the 2003 Tour) is a strong indication of doping.

In 2007 and 2009, other than good results, there is no indication of anything dodgy. I can't guarantee he was clean or he is clean, but I don't have any evidence to the contrary either.

In fact, Sanchez has been doing marginal gains (wind tunnel, watts and all the stuff Sky claims is revolutionary. Well, except mood lighting) since a long time. That way, he managed to turn himself from a punchy rider to a climber. The marginal gains worked, but he didn't suddenly become a top rider out of nothing. He was good in the hilly races, but lost the explosiveness and punch for better long-climb performance and a decent TT.

It's my number 1 reason for having to laugh about the bull**** Sky is constantly churning out. Riders have been doing it for years, with incremental results.
Old 09-17-12, 22:27

Quote:
Don't know. In 2003 and early 2004 doping was common practice in Euskaltel. Him getting good results back then (even though he was outside the time limit on the Alpe d'Huez in the 2003 Tour) is a strong indication of doping.

Sanchez was the guy who screamed - "let him race", as the Contador case was going on in the courts, and said - the TDF without Contador is like Rolland Garros without Nadal (which in Spain is a stronger sentence than it will come out to most).

But of course i am just a sky hater who would never ever accuse a rider i like of being suspicious
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 09-17-12 at 22:37.
Old 09-17-12, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
To say that it would be a surprise if Nibali did better than Samu in a GT they both peaked properly for is kind of silly.

It's amazing how Nibali continues to be underrated even after everybody told themselves they wouldn't underrate him no more.
I never underrated him. I was one of the 30% who said he would win the Vuelta rather than Mosquera, and said that he was not wasting his time going into the 2011 Giro.

But Samu in 2010 was the 3rd best climber behind Al and Andy.

And in 2011, won Luz ariden, and was 2nd on Plateau de Beile, 2nd on Lalpe (fastest up the climb).

And on Gap he was in the elite group of Contador and Evans. Can you imagine Nibali up there with contador and Evans. Can you imagine him winning Luz Ardiden, or being fastest up Alpe?

And is it really underrating him to answer those 2 questions with - hes not there just yet
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 09-17-12, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
And on Gap he was in the elite group of Contador and Evans. Can you imagine Nibali up there with contador and Evans. Can you imagine him winning Luz Ardiden, or being fastest up Alpe?
Of course I can, especially after the Tour this year when he had near-zero helpers.
Old 09-17-12, 23:31

Quote:
Sanchez was the guy who screamed - "let him race", as the Contador case was going on in the courts, and said - the TDF without Contador is like Rolland Garros without Nadal (which in Spain is a stronger sentence than it will come out to most).

But of course i am just a sky hater who would never ever accuse a rider i like of being suspicious
True, that speaks against him, but to be honest I never take him seriously in interviews.
Old 12-04-12, 04:20

"All i ask of 2013 is not to have bad luck"
http://www.elpedaldefrodo.com/samuel-sanchez-euskaltel/
Old 12-04-12, 09:28
Administrator

Quote:
" El año deportivo se ha cerrado pero el año deportivo todavía no"
Seems legit

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-04-12, 10:44

Quote:
Would be good to see Sanchez and Gesink with more luck that they have had lately. What I like about Sanchez is that he tries things. He is not just sitting in the pack trying to survive and hope for a good GC finish. He's aggressive and has won some good stages like that. His Olympic road race win was one of his best along with his second in the Vuelta.