Samuel Samu Sanchez official awesomness thread. - Page 53 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-04-12, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Would be good to see Sanchez and Gesink with more luck that they have had lately. What I like about Sanchez is that he tries things. He is not just sitting in the pack trying to survive and hope for a good GC finish. He's aggressive and has won some good stages like that. His Olympic road race win was one of his best along with his second in the Vuelta.
Uh no you cant compare samus luck.to gesinks. Samu just haf his last 2 chances at a tour podium and its pribably too late for him now to enjoy any success. Gesink meanwhile is still in his mid 20s with the best part of a decade ahead of him.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-04-12, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
But Samu in 2010 was the 3rd best climber behind Al and Andy.
That's probably right although Menchov was going very well too. Anyway, the real question is: will he ride the Tour yet again?
Perhaps with Contador out because of the wildcard/WT issue and Schleck not finding his top shape again he may as well get it....
Old 12-04-12, 13:44

Quote:
Would be good to see Sanchez and Gesink with more luck that they have had lately. What I like about Sanchez is that he tries things. He is not just sitting in the pack trying to survive and hope for a good GC finish. He's aggressive and has won some good stages like that. His Olympic road race win was one of his best along with his second in the Vuelta.
samu has only had 1 bad year. gesinks bad luck is eternal.
Old 12-04-12, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
samu has only had 1 bad year. gesinks bad luck is eternal.
Maybe but Gesink got through the Vuelta fairly well. Finished in about the position I thought he would. No bones broken etc..........Maybe the gypsy curse has been lifted !
Old 12-04-12, 15:41

Quote:
Maybe but Gesink got through the Vuelta fairly well. Finished in about the position I thought he would. No bones broken etc..........Maybe the gypsy curse has been lifted !
He's been pro for 6 years now, and in the last four of them, he crashed in almost every GT he's ridden(3 of 4 TdF's he started in), and in some minor races too. His dad passed away and he broke his leg in the worst way possible. I'd say he's been cursed ever since he got podium in Amstel Gold 2009. If you think Gesink's bad luck can't possibly get worse, then his sponsor quits.

You can't possibly say Samuel Sanchez is an unlucky rider. The only thing he lacks is a GT win but it's mostly due to his own limited qualities.
Old 12-04-12, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
He's been pro for 6 years now, and in the last four of them, he crashed in almost every GT he's ridden(3 of 4 TdF's he started in), and in some minor races too. His dad passed away and he broke his leg in the worst way possible. I'd say he's been cursed ever since he got podium in Amstel Gold 2009. If you think Gesink's bad luck can't possibly get worse, then his sponsor quits.

You can't possibly say Samuel Sanchez is an unlucky rider. The only thing he lacks is a GT win but it's mostly due to his own limited qualities.
+1 You hit the nail (way too hard) on the head.
Old 12-04-12, 16:19

Quote:
with Contador out because of the wildcard/WT issue and Schleck not finding his top shape again he may as well get it....
Samuel winning the TDF? No please.
Old 12-05-12, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post

I think he has the qualities except for consistency. Always seems to have a day when he loses time unexpectedly. He can sprint, and climb and his TT is solid without approaching the level of a Wiggins or Contador. He has missed the boat unfortunately as far as winning a grand tour is concerned.
Old 12-05-12, 12:13
Banned

The main Samu's problem is probably than he is not an attacking climber. He always prefers someone to attack first. I don't remember when he tried to initiate something himself, but Prato Nevoso. Surely I'm saying about open GC fight. Luz-Ardiden and PdB is not quite such a thing. Yeah, if one reasons like me, we had 2-3 attacking climbers in total nowadays but anyways it is an an essential condition to gain the time over main contenders.
Old 12-05-12, 12:22

Quote:
I think he has the qualities except for consistency. Always seems to have a day when he loses time unexpectedly. He can sprint, and climb and his TT is solid without approaching the level of a Wiggins or Contador. He has missed the boat unfortunately as far as winning a grand tour is concerned.
Climb, sprint, solid TT. The same as Eddy Merckx. 20 years before Samuel would be a Roberto Conti with more punch. The fact that he could be a GT winner is a shame.