Eurosport commentary - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 07-13-11, 17:01

Default Eurosport commentary

I know theres a thread about English announcers in general, comparing ES to VS but its long and since theres one for versus, there might as well be one for those of us who rely on Harmonn-Kelly- Kirby.

Any comments.

I like Harmonn, though some on this forum say hes not great in person (wouldnt know) but today there was a funny incident.

A woman, wrote in to ask Harmonn about the Olympics, and also inocently asked why he hadnt mentioned Haimar Zubeldia.

Harmonn switched at the Zubeldia question saying " Because hes done absolutely nothing, like 150 other riders" and then for the next 5 minutes recited from memory presumably, riders at the Tour whom he also hasnt mentioned

" I havent for example mentioned David Moncoutie, Or Jermome Coppell or Dmitri Fofonov. I havent mentioned Amael Moinard or..." going through at least a dozen riders.

poor woman, just wanted to ask a question, but it was still quite funny.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 07-13-11, 17:10

i value Kelly's opinion and it works very well to dampen the airs and graces of Harmon and Kirby. Kelly also has no ego unlike most other commentators who love to hear their own voice.
Old 07-13-11, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
i value Kelly's opinion and it works very well to dampen the airs and graces of Harmon and Kirby. Kelly also has no ego unlike most other commentators who love to hear their own voice.
I love when Kirby and Harmon go on for a bit agreeing with each other about something likely and Harmon asks Kelly what he thinks - silence and bit of an intake of breath and ´I don´t see it that way .....

good stuff wonder how Harmon, big Maggie and Kelly would go together
Old 07-13-11, 17:22

Harmon's recent ***-licking of Voeckler makes me cringe.
Old 07-13-11, 17:49
Administrator

i honestly like them.

harmon screaming "common johan!!!!" as JVS entered the velodrome and "johan van summeran is going to win paris roubaix!!!! its magnificent!!!! you absolute star!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as he crossed the line was just prefect imo taking into account the situation of a life long domestique getting the biggest win of his life.

kelly knows his stuff about cycling. he could have a lighter accent and talk more lively but i can deal with the way he is.

kirby has a lot of flaws but the guy at least tries. on the TdS it looked like he had done his research.

then again i only watch british eurosport when i can't watch it on the portuguese one. i must say tho that during the tour the addition of olivier bonnamissi(a french jornalist that has been living in portugal for 15 years) to the 2 portuguese guys does wonders for the commentary. if you watch a full stage without laughing out loud a bunch of times you are something special.
Old 07-13-11, 18:01

The problem with watching the Portuguese coverage is that you have to listen to Paulo Martins.
Old 07-13-11, 18:03

It's funny when Sean Kelly launches into a massively long sentence talking about something, and he just carries on speaking about it while something important is happening in the race.

I think the British ES guys are good anyway. Hard for them to talk from midday to 4-5pm every day, but they do it well. Kirby is a lot better in this TDF role (adding in random comments and facts etc) than he is commentating.

I don't like Brian Smith, and Duffield is past it now but still nice to hear from sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
Old 07-13-11, 18:10

You dont know what youve got till its gone. First year without Eurosport and Ive taken to watching ITV4 on mute. Eurosport may have its faults but for English commentary its miles above the competition.
Old 07-13-11, 18:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
The problem with watching the Portuguese coverage is that you have to listen to Paulo Martins.
true but i honestly try to block him out of my mind when he is speaking unless he is making fun of olivier's alimentary habits or poor choices on the betting game they do btw the 3( a game where each one of them chooses a rider with 50k to go and at the end of the stage the rider arriving position counts as points, they do this every stage and at the end the one with less points wins) . luis piçarra is a much better commentator then martins and mostly him and oliveir are just fun to listen. i don't need detailed info about the race as i get plenty of it here
Old 07-13-11, 19:00

I'm starting to like Kelly more as a commentator. I used to think he's boring, but if you really listen to what he says he's usually right and he dampens Harmon's enthusiasm a little, who thinks every break will succeed and every attack will be critical to a race.