Eurosport commentary - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 07-13-11, 19:21

Kirby is a brilliant comentator. I feel sorry for him, offers me plenty of material for the forum with his fantasy cycling history eg "theres Joaquim Rodriguez, he did well in the Tour of Flanders" and he gives it his ALL when calling a sprint. He must dope just to keep his lungs going for that long the way he shouts without taking a breath for the last 3k.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 07-13-11, 19:27

I admit I rely primarily on versus for coverage as I actually have that network, but I do like the folks at Eurosport. The coverage on versus gives a lot of basic information about racing, like drafting, etc. It's as if they are appealing to a demographic totally unfamiliar with racing. I'd rather they not do that because I'm familar with tactics and cycling in general, but I understand why they do it. I'm sure some appreciate it. Eurosport spend more time talking about the race and conversing. I like that, but on a boring or routine stage, the accents can honestly put me to sleep. I've drifted off a few times only to wake up in the last 200 meters to them yelling

Edit: I think i can attribute my drifting off to Kelly's trailing off......

Last edited by ImmaculateKadence; 07-13-11 at 19:30.
Old 07-13-11, 19:27

Harmon & Kirby - they'll do. But Kelly's great to listen to.
Old 07-13-11, 19:43

Today I switch to P&P for nostalgia and it being a sprinters stage.
Thank goodness for David Harmon, Eurosport and the team.
Harmon has vastly improved from a couple of years ago and is now very good at his job.
Even Carlton “No Nothing”Kirby has got better and it’s so obvious he is now doing research as he is now confident pronouncing non anglo riders which in the past he didn’t.
A thumbs up from me. Bravo
Old 07-13-11, 20:55

Harmon and Kelly are a fantastic balance. As previously mentioned also, Kirby's quite good in his current role. His Stage 5 f*** up aside, Harmon's calling of a sprint is unparalled. There's a 101 things all happening at the same time, but he has a great knack for calling the most relevant piece of action and immediately identifying the rider.
Old 07-13-11, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyboy View Post
It's funny when Sean Kelly launches into a massively long sentence talking about something, and he just carries on speaking about it while something important is happening in the race.

I think the British ES guys are good anyway. Hard for them to talk from midday to 4-5pm every day, but they do it well. Kirby is a lot better in this TDF role (adding in random comments and facts etc) than he is commentating.

I don't like Brian Smith, and Duffield is past it now but still nice to hear from sometimes.
Good point. That is actually what he does best (or rather the only thing he does well).
Old 07-13-11, 21:01

Kelly is brilliant. He's the only one of british eurosport I can tolerate.

I usually watch swedish Eurosport though. Roberto Vacchi is an excellent commentator, one of the best around.
Old 07-13-11, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
Kelly is brilliant.
What I love most about Kelly is his ability to start every sentence with, "Well, errrrrmmmmmm, yes...", and somehow manage to pull it off.
Old 07-13-11, 21:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Wolds View Post
What I love most about Kelly is his ability to start every sentence with, "Well, errrrrmmmmmm, yes...", and somehow manage to pull it off.
omg that is so true its hilarious

best moment tho is l-b-l 2010 on rouche aux faucons.

harmon: "on the middle of your shot on your right hand side the world champion cadel evans, he is super strong we saw it at fleche wallone. on the far left of that shot is alberto contador in the turquoise gritting his teeth because he knows evans is strong . . . i think contador is suffering a little bit actually."

selly: "could"

harmon: "yep, you think?"

kelly: "yes i know we can see his style. . . ."

harmon interrupts: "i know he says." laughs

kelly: "we can see his style he is making a lot of. . . " harmon laughs some more

kelly: "contador is a rider that you know is very agressive and when the likes of phillip gilbert and andy schleck go on the attack if he got it he wouldn't allow them to get away and we can see here" contador attacks "his peddling style contador is suffering. but oh contador on the attack"

harmon: "oh there we go."

makes me laugh every time

Last edited by Parrulo; 07-13-11 at 21:53.
Old 07-13-11, 21:36

Haimar Zubeldia was never mentioned even when he was racking up Top 5 finishes in the Tour. Must be the most media underhyped rider of last 2 decades.

Im forced by geography to listen to Serbian Eurosport commentary for the last 3 years, and before that it was all Harmon&Co for me.

The Serbian guys were absolutely dreadful the first year, one of them an ex semi-pro rider who knows what cycling is about but just doesnt have what it takes to be a commentator, and the other dude a commentator with 0 clue about cycling. I dont need to mention that their rider recognition was next to none.

3 years later, and both of them have improved immensely. You cant call them good yet, but they are getting there slowly. They tell riders apart better then i do myself and they actually make those dull flat sprint stages more manageable with their commentary.

It just takes some research, a little brain and a lot of experience to become an useful cycling commentator.