Steve Hogg vs Andy Pruitt. - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 07-18-11, 16:38

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Default Steve Hogg vs Andy Pruitt.

One works for a big corp.

One is contactable and offers a money back guarantee on bike fits.

I think its excellent that bike companies are focusing more on bike fit as that has been extremely lacking for so long.

I just got a copy of Steve Hogg's ebooks online. http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/ebooks/

Cheap yet EXTREMELY informative and valid. Something thats hard to find in 2011 and in an industry that puts more focus on shaving 30g off an already too fragile steerer tube vs teaching bike shops how to fit people right.

What have people thought of Steve's ebooks? What has helped you? For me its been lowering my seat height so I can get more wattage to the rear wheel. Its also increased my bikes handling and comfort.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 07-18-11, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
One works for a big corp.

One is contactable and offers a money back guarantee on bike fits.

I think its excellent that bike companies are focusing more on bike fit as that has been extremely lacking for so long.

I just got a copy of Steve Hogg's ebooks online. http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/ebooks/

Cheap yet EXTREMELY informative and valid. Something thats hard to find in 2011 and in an industry that puts more focus on shaving 30g off an already too fragile steerer tube vs teaching bike shops how to fit people right.

What have people thought of Steve's ebooks? What has helped you? For me its been lowering my seat height so I can get more wattage to the rear wheel. Its also increased my bikes handling and comfort.
Steve will always try to answer questions from you if you have issues
No one is right all the time everyone is diferent in make up and injuries etc.
Old 07-19-11, 02:32

For Aus $35 I brought the lot.

180 pages just on general fitting and haven't looked at the specific sections yet.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 07-19-11, 06:23

Steve is my personal bike fit guy and has been for 15 years. His support in getting my prosthetic leg fitted for cycling has been fantastic.
Old 07-20-11, 06:51

Is there any Steve Hogg counterparts in Brisbane? Or anyone that you guys know of that would be worth going to for a bike fit. Looking desperately for a credible guy to do mine.

I am currently 20kg's over weight. Should I wait for go for it? How much could I expect my position to change once i lose the weight.
Old 07-20-11, 07:09

Try Nick Formosa at Cadence Cycling.

He now has Retul for ultra accurate fitting.
Old 07-25-11, 18:23

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

#Good question and one that you should post to Steve on CN. You could always ride down to Brisbane and then fly back. That will drop 10-15kg Ive cycled Adelaide to the tip of Cape York since being fitted by Steve. I always take my bike on the plane. I just got my latest bamboo bike fitted by Steve in Sydney and then flew to Bangkok then NYC with it in a cardboard bike box I got from a local bike shop's bin. Just liquid paper mark the seat post so you have reference marker etc.

#I see so many people focusing on bling this and bling that and its so obvious that their bike position is so way out and they are losing power/comfort aka cycling enjoyment as a result of being a bicycle fashion weight weenie victim.

#Another thing I find amusing is the SH haters that snicker at Steve's excellent work but when you ask em if they have a money back guarantee like SH has they say 'DEFINITELY NOT!'. Thats like the overpriced 1 year warranty euro frames giving crap about the lifetime warranty frames.

"Our frames are such quality that we offer a very short warranty SO dont buy the frames that have lifetime warranty cos they are of poor quality..'

Its seems that there are 3 ways to get your name out in the bike fitting industry.

1. Do great work.
2. Convince a big bike corp that you do great work.
3. Buy a franchise like Retul etc.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

Last edited by durianrider; 07-25-11 at 18:25.
Old 07-28-11, 06:03

I have to say I agree DR. When people ask me what I paid for my race bike (2010 Super Six with Ultegra) they look at me strangely when I tell them a figure thats much higher than the normal price. Why?

Because IMO proper fitting, computer/HRM/GPS, power meter (SRM for me), preferred saddle etc etc are all things that should be included in your budget when looking at bikes, with fitting at the top of the list.

Sure, I could have bought a much higher end bike for the amount I paid for all of that stuff, but as a complete item I'll take my bike over an off the shelf Super Six Hi Mod any day of the week.
Old 07-31-11, 03:33

What I respect in Steve Hogg's work is its transparency. There's a lot of common sense in his approach--in a way, he's come up with the physiological reasoning for what has worked for the best European coaches and framebuilders since the 1940s. I'm not saying positioning hasn't changed in the last 70 years of bicycling, but the fundamentals have pretty much stayed the same. Of course, Hogg's expertise goes further in detail, optimization, and addressing individual riders' anomalies and limitations.

Interestingly, we became interested in the metrics of fit in the 1970s when a lot of uncoached North American riders became serious about performance. There were simply not enough knowledgeable coaches to go around. Riders trained at the USOC center in Colorado Springs would hit regional races and joke about the local riders who sat on their bikes like "monkeys on a stick." The Fit Kit was an effort by a non-USOC developed rider and coach who had a background in mathematics to create a fit system that would work for bike shops and uncoached clubs.

I don't know exactly where Dr. Pruitt's methods lie in this spectrum, but I had a giggle when I had to set up a couple Trek comfort bikes according prescription from the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.
Old 07-31-11, 03:54

The thing that I like about the way that SH approaches things is that he gets you thinking about your possitioning on the bike and questioning why certain things happen.

Because of his willingness to engage people about the issues of bike fit in a variety of forums, I think he has done more to raise conciousness about bike fit issues than enayone else.

The level of knowledge of the average bike shop sales rep has been pretty poor in my opinion, but even this beats getting a bike online that might not even be close to the correct size for you. There will be plenty of work for Steve in the future.