Andy Schleck Discussion thread. - Page 252 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-14-12, 04:17

Andy Schleck is a better climber than Jrod by large margin.
Old 11-14-12, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forunculo View Post
Andy Schleck is a better climber than Jrod by large margin.
Been quite a while since we have seen a performance from him though. Galibier 2011 ?
Old 11-14-12, 12:19
Banned

IMO barring an improvident attack on Avoriaz, Purito was the 3rd climber in the 2010 Tour. And if one considers Contador wasn't there — even the second one. So, Andy is stronger, but to talk about large margin is not very farsighted. In my view, that perfomance is quite comparable to him in this year's Giro. A very strong guy.

There are no large margins in the sport surely if no one called UCI on others.

Last edited by airstream; 11-14-12 at 12:22.
Old 11-14-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
IMO barring an improvident attack on Avoriaz, Purito was the 3rd climber in the 2010 Tour. And if one considers Contador wasn't there even the second one. So, Andy is stronger, but to talk about large margin is not very farsighted. In my view, that perfomance is quite comparable to him in this year's Giro. A very strong guy.

There are no large margins in the sport surely if no one called UCI on others.
Rodriguez has also showed improvement in the TT. Of course he will lose minutes to Wiggins in a medium to longer TT but in the shorter ones as we saw in the Giro and Vuelta he was okay, much better than he used to be and he is almost unbeatable in an MTF sprint against other climbers only possibly Valverde could beat him. That's why time the time bonus situation in the Vuelta was ideal for him. Andy probably has the edge on the longer harder climbs but if Rodriguez rides intelligently like he did at the Vuelta except for the one nightmare day, there is every chance he can be dropped and come back simply by knowing what he is capable of. He much more complete rider than he was two years ago. He has learnt how to ride the grand tours and when not to waste energy.
Old 11-14-12, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Thank you for the laugh of the evening
He will lose time to him in the TT, which is why I said that.
Old 11-17-12, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzombie1988 View Post
He will lose time to him in the TT, which is why I said that.
Hang on , are you saying Andy will lose time to Purito in the TT's? If Andy gets back to his form of a few years back he will at least match the new-and-improved purito in the TT's. Andy has great endurance that tells on the longer climbs. There is no way Purito could pull off what Shleck did on the Galibier or what Contador did in this years Vuelta.

J-rod is one of my favourite riders but you have to be realistic about his ability compared to the riders like Contador and AS.
Old 11-17-12, 09:40

i really really hope andy comes back strong in 2O13 , i think he was badly missed in last years TDF , there is no doubt he is one of the greatest climbers out there , the 2O11 TDF was one of the greatest races i have ever seen and a lot of it is due to andys heroics in the mountains .

2O12 race was nowhere near as exciting as past years , as soon as wiggins crushed the first time trial the race was over as SKY just steam rolled every stage there after . it was an awesome team performance but sadly the excitement of the race was over and with no contador or schleck to throw down the gauntlet in the mountain stages the race just did not excite .

2O13 TDF has the potential to be the best race we could ever see with contador and a fully fit schleck going up against the new breed , i really hope he has come out of the injury well because i think the world of cycling could do with some good press right now and a fully fit andy schleck flying up a mountain would be a step in the right direction .
Old 11-17-12, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post
i really really hope andy comes back strong in 2O13 , i think he was badly missed in last years TDF , there is no doubt he is one of the greatest climbers out there , the 2O11 TDF was one of the greatest races i have ever seen and a lot of it is due to andys heroics in the mountains .

2O12 race was nowhere near as exciting as past years , as soon as wiggins crushed the first time trial the race was over as SKY just steam rolled every stage there after . it was an awesome team performance but sadly the excitement of the race was over and with no contador or schleck to throw down the gauntlet in the mountain stages the race just did not excite .

2O13 TDF has the potential to be the best race we could ever see with contador and a fully fit schleck going up against the new breed , i really hope he has come out of the injury well because i think the world of cycling could do with some good press right now and a fully fit andy schleck flying up a mountain would be a step in the right direction .
Do you mean just the Galibier stage because in the other mountain stages Andy wasn't exactly "heroic". He was actually a bit of a wuss.
Old 11-17-12, 18:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post

Agree with...all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Do you mean just the Galibier stage because in the other mountain stages Andy wasn't exactly "heroic". He was actually a bit of a wuss.
His performance on that stage was so epic it more than makes up for the other stages .
Old 11-17-12, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
His performance on that stage was so epic it more than makes up for the other stages .
Personally I think Alberto was more heroic. He was even heroic when he went BOOM! on Galibier

yea I don't think Andy was heroic in 2011 Tour but ok I can understand schleck fans think he was