The importance of crank length to the cyclist. - Page 93 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-11, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
It says CAN be used for aerodynamics, not ARE better for aerodynamics. Big difference.
I read it that because power doesn't vary much with crank length that crank length "CAN BE CHOSEN TO MEET OTHER CRITERIA" of which aerodynamics is one, where he states shorter is better. Now, of course, I am sure someone will be able to find an exception to this generality which is why I have stressed experimenting with this.

Last edited by FrankDay; 11-08-11 at 17:44. Reason: clarify
Old 11-08-11, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Only if the rider can improve their aerodynamic position. And there are more ways to improve aerodynamic position than changing crank length.
That's like saying there are ways to improve aerodynamic position other than using tt bars. no ****. But you get bigger reductions in drag, and more power from shortening the cranks and the resulting compact position, and the ability to hold position longer. No reduction in leverage if geared properly.

If you actually had experience with this thing you adamantly oppose you'd know all these advantages hold true. Not sure what you hope to gain by saying something doesn't work when you have zero experience with it. Go ahead, follow the leader like I'm sure you do with the rest of your coaching practice.
Old 11-08-11, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
I read it that because power doesn't vary much with crank length that crank length "CAN BE CHOSEN TO MEET OTHER CRITERIA" of which aerodynamics is one, where he states shorter is better. Now, of course, I am sure someone will be able to find an exception to this generality which is why I have stressed this.
Power doesn't vary till you go stupid short and stupid long and if one needed to work on aerodynamics there are a variety of manipulations including crank length. I tilted my saddle up two millimetres and was able to drop my bars down 4cm.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 11-08-11, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrack View Post
That's like saying there are ways to improve aerodynamic position other than using tt bars. no ****. But you get bigger reductions in drag, and more power from shortening the cranks and the resulting compact position, and the ability to hold position longer. No reduction in leverage if geared properly.
You saying that as if you think if you will repeat it often enough it will make it true.

To recap...

Shorter cranks do not increase power. They never will, just like independent cranks, power meters, aero wheels, nasal strips, high carbohydrate diets.

Quote:
If you actually had experience with this thing you adamantly oppose you'd know all these advantages hold true. Not sure what you hope to gain by saying something doesn't work when you have zero experience with it.
That's a stupid assertion. Do I need to smoke for years to be able to say it's bad?

Have a look at this list of biases and see how many you can put a tick beside

Quote:
Go ahead, follow the leader like I'm sure you do with the rest of your coaching practice.
As a coach I wouldn't want to work with someone who needs a gimmick to train and has so much self doubt in their own abilities that they believe they need to buy speed and power.

But if I wasted a Grand on a product that claimed to improve power and didn't I would display a high level of cognitive dissonance as well

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 11-08-11, 18:16

Quote:
I tilted my saddle up two millimetres and was able to drop my bars down 4cm.
Good for you. How long can you hold that position? Did the change do anything to your FTP? Can you theorize why tilting the saddle up facilitates your ability to get lower or, why couldn't you make this change before?
Old 11-08-11, 18:51

Quote:
Good for you. How long can you hold that position? Did the change do anything to your FTP? Can you theorize why tilting the saddle up facilitates your ability to get lower or, why couldn't you make this change before?
3 hours so far. Getting into summer here so will go for longer. It opens up the hip angle and removed the rounding I had in the lower back. Not bad for a 50c allen key and a 10 sec adjustment.

Old 11-08-11, 19:07

Quote:
3 hours so far. Getting into summer here so will go for longer. It opens up the hip angle and removed the rounding I had in the lower back. Not bad for a 50c allen key and a 10 sec adjustment.
How does "tilting the saddle" open the hip angle. Especially, tilting the saddle 2 mm? Isn't hip angle determined by the contact points geometry? What does the tilt of the saddle have to do with that?
Old 11-08-11, 19:15

Then I must have changed my points of contact then. I have posted the before and after pics before, you even commented on them, which clearly show the difference.

Just goes to show there are cheaper and easier ways to improve aerodynamics.

Old 11-08-11, 19:20

Quote:
Then I must have changed my points of contact then. I have posted the before and after pics before, you even commented on them, which clearly show the difference.

Just goes to show there are cheaper and easier ways to improve aerodynamics.
I must have missed those pictures. Could you give us a link to them again please?

So, I don't understand why tilting the saddle 2mm would change your contact points enough to allow you to drop your handlebars 4 cm? Any thoughts as to what is occurring? Or, were you just poorly fit before?

Oh, and you haven't told us what this change has done to your FTP?
Old 11-08-11, 19:36

Quote:
I must have missed those pictures. Could you give us a link to them again please?

So, I don't understand why tilting the saddle 2mm would change your contact points enough to allow you to drop your handlebars 4 cm? Any thoughts as to what is occurring? Or, were you just poorly fit before?

Oh, and you haven't told us what this change has done to your FTP?
You didn't miss them, you commented on them.

It hasn't affected my ability to produce power.

Closed Thread