Pinarello Dogma replicas? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-11, 20:43
joe_papp's Avatar
joe_papp joe_papp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,240
Question Pinarello Dogma replicas?

Anyone seen these Pinarello Dogma replicas selling on Ebay for under $1000? Are they actually made in the same factory as the "genuine" Dogma, with the same grade of carbon, as claimed by the seller(s) [one of whom actually lists the wrong spec carbon I think]? Of course if it seems too good to be true it is, and I realize these aren't genuine Dogma's from Italy, but are they identical in construction and just spirited out the back door of the factory?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINARELLO-DO...item336b1909b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Pinarel...item3a69b64489

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-PINAREL...item2eb76cb139
__________________
joepa

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-11, 20:51
ElChingon's Avatar
ElChingon ElChingon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI
Posts: 5,833
Default

I can't tell the difference Joe





Opps! Sales rep might not like this one (insert smilie with tongue out here)

__________________
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-11, 20:51
Benotti69's Avatar
Benotti69 Benotti69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,477
Default

some reading of some of the guys who have bought chinese carbon frames direct


http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...st3231865.html

__________________
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-11, 20:55
joe_papp's Avatar
joe_papp joe_papp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I can't tell the difference Joe

Opps! Sales rep might not like this one (insert smilie with tongue out here)

OUCH! DOH!
__________________
joepa

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-11, 21:30
Damiano Machiavelli Damiano Machiavelli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_papp View Post
Anyone seen these Pinarello Dogma replicas selling on Ebay for under $1000? Are they actually made in the same factory as the "genuine" Dogma, with the same grade of carbon, as claimed by the seller(s) [one of whom actually lists the wrong spec carbon I think]? Of course if it seems too good to be true it is, and I realize these aren't genuine Dogma's from Italy, but are they identical in construction and just spirited out the back door of the factory?
The real Pinarellos are not made in Italy even though they say so on the frame. They are only painted in Italy.

The Chinarellos are not made in the same factory with the same molds. They use English BBs instead of Italian ones. The fake Princes and Dogmas use the same mold. One of them, the Dogma I think, uses a seatpost with a round cross section instead of what is used for the real Pinarello, so that is a dead giveaway to someone who knows their Pinarellos that it is a fake. The paint jobs are not perfect replicas. Depending on which buyer you buy from, the paint can be quite close to the real McCoy to being quite a ways off.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-11, 21:48
joe_papp's Avatar
joe_papp joe_papp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,240
Default Genuine-genuine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano Machiavelli View Post
The real Pinarellos are not made in Italy even though they say so on the frame. They are only painted in Italy.

The Chinarellos are not made in the same factory with the same molds. They use English BBs instead of Italian ones. The fake Princes and Dogmas use the same mold. One of them, the Dogma I think, uses a seatpost with a round cross section instead of what is used for the real Pinarello, so that is a dead giveaway to someone who knows their Pinarellos that it is a fake. The paint jobs are not perfect replicas. Depending on which buyer you buy from, the paint can be quite close to the real McCoy to being quite a ways off.
Cool, thanks for the info.

I msg'd one of the sellers on Ebay asking if it was a genuine replica or what and you should've seen the contortions done to answer that one.

I'll stick w/ my genuine genuine, painted-in-Italy Prince!

__________________
joepa

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-11, 22:14
LugHugger LugHugger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano Machiavelli View Post
The real Pinarellos are not made in Italy even though they say so on the frame. They are only painted in Italy.

The Chinarellos are not made in the same factory with the same molds. They use English BBs instead of Italian ones. The fake Princes and Dogmas use the same mold. One of them, the Dogma I think, uses a seatpost with a round cross section instead of what is used for the real Pinarello, so that is a dead giveaway to someone who knows their Pinarellos that it is a fake. The paint jobs are not perfect replicas. Depending on which buyer you buy from, the paint can be quite close to the real McCoy to being quite a ways off.
The real Pinarello Dogma's are very clearly marked with a 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on the B/B.
Once again, you post misinformation about a brand you know nothing about.

Last edited by LugHugger; 08-27-11 at 22:24.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-11, 22:30
Damiano Machiavelli Damiano Machiavelli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
The real Pinarello Dogma's are very clearly marked with a 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on the B/B.
Once again, you post misinformation about a brand you know nothing about.
You mean like this Prince:



And this Dogma.



Italian laws for what counts as made in Italy rely where the most value is added. By painting a chinese frame in Italy, Pinarellos are officially made in Italy.

Lots of bike shops remove the Taiwan sticker on the bottom of the frame.

Last edited by Damiano Machiavelli; 08-27-11 at 22:34.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-11, 22:43
LugHugger LugHugger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano Machiavelli View Post
You mean like this Prince:



And this Dogma.



Italian laws for what counts as made in Italy rely where the most value is added. By painting a chinese frame in Italy, Pinarellos are officially made in Italy.

Lots of bike shops remove the Taiwan sticker on the bottom of the frame.
Nope. Try again. Pinarello Dogma frames are officially Made in Taiwan.

For EU VAT purposes, they are re-labelled as Made in Italy. At the time of import, the frame does not have the Made in Italy sticker on it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-11, 22:51
Damiano Machiavelli Damiano Machiavelli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
Nope. Try again. Pinarello Dogma frames are officially Made in Taiwan.

For EU VAT purposes, they are re-labelled as Made in Italy. At the time of import, the frame does not have the Made in Italy sticker on it.
Yeah, the pics are fake. Try slinging some more B.S.

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/2010/03/se...dogma-601-di2/

Quote:
"The other complaint isn't so much about the Dogma itself as it is about the "Made in Italy" sticker on the downtube. The Italian brand is able to use that sticker because the bikes are painted and assembled in its Treviso, Italy factory, but the frames themselves are made in a factory in Taiwan. That's not to say there's a problem with the fact they're produced there, because Asia is pumping out some of the best carbon products in the world right now, but if a sticker says "Made in Italy", most consumers assume the entire bike is manufactured in Italy."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.