Pinarello Dogma replicas? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 08-27-11, 20:43

Question Pinarello Dogma replicas?

Anyone seen these Pinarello Dogma replicas selling on Ebay for under $1000? Are they actually made in the same factory as the "genuine" Dogma, with the same grade of carbon, as claimed by the seller(s) [one of whom actually lists the wrong spec carbon I think]? Of course if it seems too good to be true it is, and I realize these aren't genuine Dogma's from Italy, but are they identical in construction and just spirited out the back door of the factory?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINARELLO-DO...item336b1909b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Pinarel...item3a69b64489

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-PINAREL...item2eb76cb139

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Old 08-27-11, 20:51

I can't tell the difference Joe

Opps! Sales rep might not like this one (insert smilie with tongue out here)

Old 08-27-11, 20:51

some reading of some of the guys who have bought chinese carbon frames direct

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...st3231865.html

Old 08-27-11, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I can't tell the difference Joe

Opps! Sales rep might not like this one (insert smilie with tongue out here)

OUCH! DOH!

"There is a proper dignity and proportion to be observed in the performance of every act of life"

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Old 08-27-11, 21:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_papp View Post
Anyone seen these Pinarello Dogma replicas selling on Ebay for under $1000? Are they actually made in the same factory as the "genuine" Dogma, with the same grade of carbon, as claimed by the seller(s) [one of whom actually lists the wrong spec carbon I think]? Of course if it seems too good to be true it is, and I realize these aren't genuine Dogma's from Italy, but are they identical in construction and just spirited out the back door of the factory?
The real Pinarellos are not made in Italy even though they say so on the frame. They are only painted in Italy.

The Chinarellos are not made in the same factory with the same molds. They use English BBs instead of Italian ones. The fake Princes and Dogmas use the same mold. One of them, the Dogma I think, uses a seatpost with a round cross section instead of what is used for the real Pinarello, so that is a dead giveaway to someone who knows their Pinarellos that it is a fake. The paint jobs are not perfect replicas. Depending on which buyer you buy from, the paint can be quite close to the real McCoy to being quite a ways off.
Old 08-27-11, 21:48

Default Genuine-genuine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano Machiavelli View Post
The real Pinarellos are not made in Italy even though they say so on the frame. They are only painted in Italy.

The Chinarellos are not made in the same factory with the same molds. They use English BBs instead of Italian ones. The fake Princes and Dogmas use the same mold. One of them, the Dogma I think, uses a seatpost with a round cross section instead of what is used for the real Pinarello, so that is a dead giveaway to someone who knows their Pinarellos that it is a fake. The paint jobs are not perfect replicas. Depending on which buyer you buy from, the paint can be quite close to the real McCoy to being quite a ways off.
Cool, thanks for the info.

I msg'd one of the sellers on Ebay asking if it was a genuine replica or what and you should've seen the contortions done to answer that one.

I'll stick w/ my genuine genuine, painted-in-Italy Prince!

* email me
* read my (old) blog
* visit my website
* read my (new) blog
Old 08-27-11, 22:14

Quote:

The real Pinarello Dogma's are very clearly marked with a 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on the B/B.
Once again, you post misinformation about a brand you know nothing about.

Last edited by LugHugger; 08-27-11 at 22:24.
Old 08-27-11, 22:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
The real Pinarello Dogma's are very clearly marked with a 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on the B/B.
Once again, you post misinformation about a brand you know nothing about.
You mean like this Prince:

And this Dogma.

Italian laws for what counts as made in Italy rely where the most value is added. By painting a chinese frame in Italy, Pinarellos are officially made in Italy.

Lots of bike shops remove the Taiwan sticker on the bottom of the frame.

Last edited by Damiano Machiavelli; 08-27-11 at 22:34.
Old 08-27-11, 22:43

Quote:
You mean like this Prince:

And this Dogma.

Italian laws for what counts as made in Italy rely where the most value is added. By painting a chinese frame in Italy, Pinarellos are officially made in Italy.

Lots of bike shops remove the Taiwan sticker on the bottom of the frame.
Nope. Try again. Pinarello Dogma frames are officially Made in Taiwan.

For EU VAT purposes, they are re-labelled as Made in Italy. At the time of import, the frame does not have the Made in Italy sticker on it.
Old 08-27-11, 22:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
Nope. Try again. Pinarello Dogma frames are officially Made in Taiwan.

For EU VAT purposes, they are re-labelled as Made in Italy. At the time of import, the frame does not have the Made in Italy sticker on it.
Yeah, the pics are fake. Try slinging some more B.S.

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/2010/03/se...dogma-601-di2/

Quote:
"The other complaint isn't so much about the Dogma itself as it is about the "Made in Italy" sticker on the downtube. The Italian brand is able to use that sticker because the bikes are painted and assembled in its Treviso, Italy factory, but the frames themselves are made in a factory in Taiwan. That's not to say there's a problem with the fact they're produced there, because Asia is pumping out some of the best carbon products in the world right now, but if a sticker says "Made in Italy", most consumers assume the entire bike is manufactured in Italy."